12:30, Tue 16 Apr
Spike
saint andrew
Spike
I'm just reading Mike Brearley's captaincy book at the moment.

He obviously talks about Underwood a lot, the way he tells it - Underwood actually lacked a lot of confidence and often had to be persuaded how good he was and how much better he could be.

I do think he also had the luck to have Knott keeping to him, if you watch footage of a lot of his wickets nobody else could have pulled off a huge number of those catches and stumpings. They really were a dream partnership.

Apart from Bob Taylor.

Yeah, I think you and I may have had this conversation before?

Bob Taylor was very good, but Knott was another level.

Don't think I've mentioned them before, both were brilliant, don't think I could separate them.t
12:43, Tue 16 Apr
Manxie
Wolvobluenose
Osterberg
Sounds a good read, as everyone of our generation loved JMB, too

Didn’t realise that Underwood lacked confidence? Interesting.

And you’re right about Knott’s ability to read him. At county, as well as test level, too. That was one hell of a Kent side.

That Kent side at the time also included Mike Denness, Brian Luckhurst, Asif Iqbal, John Shepherd and Colin Cowdrey.

Not forgetting Bob Woolmer and Chris Tavaré (1974 onwards) too.

RIP Derek Underwood.

Smiled at the mention of Chris Tavare. A man that made Boycott look like Chris Gayle.
13:53, Tue 16 Apr
My favourite Tavaré moment was when he batted with Botham, Old Trafford 1981. Chalk and cheese. He’d just push the first ball of the over for a single, lean on his bat at the non-striker’s end and watch the carnage.
14:06, Tue 16 Apr
saint andrew
Don't think I've mentioned them before, both were brilliant, don't think I could separate them.t

No probs, I know I've knocked it about on here before about Knott versus Bob Taylor but I couldn't remember who with.