18:03, Wed 24 Apr
Your assessment of Buchanan (just turned 23) and Laird (23 in August) seems to forget why we even signed players of that profile. They're relatively inexperienced, young, moved about a lot, but will most importantly get better. Laird said as much, he needs to be at one place for more than a season or 6 months. Why would we bin two young defenders without giving them the time to develop?

Adams scored 5 and 7 league goals before hitting his potential, we need to let players grow.
18:05, Wed 24 Apr
NouCamp
NouCamp
Bielik, Paik, Miyoshi, Lee Buchanan and Laird have had their moments but they have also had long spells of being poor.

I'd be disappointed if we had to let Paik and Miyoshi go

I wouldn't mind seeing Laird and LB on their way tbf, you;d think any replacements would be on a par or better

unsure on Bielik, could be a decent L1 centre half

Buchanan has been fine. Surely?

indeed, he's been absolutely that

there are better left backs out there than Buchanan, although its not a priority addressing it given the gaps everywhere else

more than happy to keep him as squad player

If we are in League One next season, I don’t think we will have a better left back than Buchanan.
Tam
18:07, Wed 24 Apr
tebily
Your assessment of Buchanan (just turned 23) and Laird (23 in August) seems to forget why we even signed players of that profile. They're relatively inexperienced, young, moved about a lot, but will most importantly get better. Laird said as much, he needs to be at one place for more than a season or 6 months. Why would we bin two young defenders without giving them the time to develop?

Adams scored 5 and 7 league goals before hitting his potential, we need to let players grow.

It sounds like Tony (and how I hope that he comes back) gets real satisfaction from developing players like this. At times, they've looked excellent this season, mixed with some inconsistency, taking into consideration the sheer amount of managers that we've had through the revolving doors.
Make Blues Great Again
18:11, Wed 24 Apr
yeehaw
Super Hans
Too good for us? That’s the sort of thinking that’s got us where we are now.

Given our current state? They are too good for us. I disagree with your assessment as well. Positive mindsets and form play a huge part in performances. Pirlo himself would misplace passes in this team. Doubting himself, doubting his teammates, doubting the tactics.

What current state? The state of investing millions, soon to be billions on facilities for the players to train with?

If the current state of the club is below these lot then we really are in the pits.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
18:12, Wed 24 Apr
Tam
Everybody wants us to do the Peterborough thing, the Brentford or Brighton thing, finding rough diamonds, but expect more than is reasonable imo. It's been done to death on here but we hadn't two pennies to rub together last season comparatively, I think Laird and Buchanan were excellent acquisitions given the challenge at hand.

It's goals where we really struggle, we all know that. We're lower bottom half of the table on goals conceded but if we didn't go kamikaze between October to Jan we'd be comparatively ok compared to other teams.
18:12, Wed 24 Apr
Buchanan and Laird would be the best full backs in that league by miles
Happy Clapper
18:14, Wed 24 Apr
tebily

I’ve not said I’d get rid of them, just that I wouldn’t be fussed if they were moved on.

We signed players of that profile because they were cheap at a time where P&S limitations meant we couldn’t spend much. That’s out the window this summer, if we stay up we will be signing players of a far higher calibre.
18:24, Wed 24 Apr
Super Hans
tebily

I’ve not said I’d get rid of them, just that I wouldn’t be fussed if they were moved on.

We signed players of that profile because they were cheap at a time where P&S limitations meant we couldn’t spend much. That’s out the window this summer, if we stay up we will be signing players of a far higher calibre.
Thats a very fair assesment. Sometimes I think as supporters we are to wedded to our current players because we see them play every week. Only 2-3 players in our current squad have been remotely consistent this season though. With greater resources we can probably recruit players that will deliver consistent performances and stay injury free.
18:31, Wed 24 Apr
We will have greater resources but we will almost certainly continue to buy younger players, and with youth you get inconsistency
18:31, Wed 24 Apr
Super Hans
yeehaw
Super Hans
Yeah, Bielik I’d love to keep but I’m not too fussed on anyone else.

😳

You lot are mad as hatters.

Paik, Miyoshi, Buchanan and Laird are all too good for us. If we lose any of them it'll be a step back.

Too good for us? That’s the sort of thinking that’s got us where we are now.

Paik has one game where he looks like the Korean Pirlo and the next where he couldn’t pass water. Maybe not helped by the managerial changes but having Guardiola or Pulis in the dugout shouldn’t affect the consistency of your passes. I wouldn’t mind keeping him as there’s a player there but if he goes I’m not going to be too upset.

I like Miyoshi, he really lacks strength and a bit of pace that the top wingers in this league have.

Buchanan is seemingly unwanted by uncle Tony, so I’d be surprised either way if we don’t have another left back next season.

Laird might be the most overhyped player we’ve had the last few years, and that takes some beating.
Paik needs movement and players in space or showing for the ball in front of him. He passes through lines, that’s why he looked better under Mowbray than Rowett. He’s a quarterback type. No movement or options and he’ll struggle. And that’s why I say he could play at a higher level. He’d look fantastic in a Leicester side
Tony Fantastico
18:37, Wed 24 Apr
Maybe. We need to achieve that calibre of team, we won’t if we think the likes of these players are above us as a club.
18:49, Wed 24 Apr
Those feckers got us into this state
19:16, Wed 24 Apr
Rags
What are peoples' thoughts on Juke over the next two games ?

I like him as a bloke and appreciate all his efforts for us .... but in my opinion he'd be stupid to risk his serious injury when you consider that after the two games he is without a contract, without an employer and effectively without an income.

I would imagine he will be desperate to play and try and contribute regardless.
19:17, Wed 24 Apr
yeehaw
Super Hans
Yeah, Bielik I’d love to keep but I’m not too fussed on anyone else.

😳

You lot are mad as hatters.

Paik, Miyoshi, Buchanan and Laird are all too good for us. If we lose any of them it'll be a step back.

There that good that we will probably be relegated, they can all go as long as the clubs valuation is met

Some people are simply clueless.
19:22, Wed 24 Apr
Buchanan and Laird would be the best full backs in that league by miles

Spot on

You've even proven that with decent managers we'd be close to, or in, the play-offs. But people aren't interested ... they just want to unload their bile and vitriol at the easiest target that doesn't involve any thought