21:54, Wed 24 Apr
My boss's boss (and there is no one higher i can take this to, he's a director) wants me to do something that i KNOW will be bad for the future of the company and i KNOW that, however much i cover my arse, when things DO go wrong, as they inevitably will, i am going to get fired for it.

But if i don't agree to do what he says, he will fire me now.

So i can either

1 ... refuse and i stick to my belief and prediction of it all going tits up and get fired now and go and get a job elsewhere (which will be quite easy and it will probably pay more, but may not be a job i enjoy as much), ......
or
2.. i can do what he says, and keep my job, and oversee the inevitable carnage (but in our industry, within my small enclosed circle, the "disaster" will effect my future job prospects) and get fired later

Should i

1.. get myself fired for refusing to do it
2.. do it and then get fired when it all goes wrong
21:57, Wed 24 Apr
21:57, Wed 24 Apr
Rags
My boss's boss (and there is no one higher i can take this to, he's a director) wants me to do something that i KNOW will be bad for the future of the company and i KNOW that, however much i cover my arse, when things DO go wrong, as they inevitably will, i am going to get fired for it.

But if i don't agree to do what he says, he will fire me now.

So i can either

1 ... refuse and i stick to my belief and prediction of it all going tits up and get fired now and go and get a job elsewhere (which will be quite easy and it will probably pay more, but may not be a job i enjoy as much), ......
or
2.. i can do what he says, and keep my job, and oversee the inevitable carnage (but in our industry, within my small enclosed circle, the "disaster" will effect my future job prospects)

Should i

2.. do it and then get fired when it all goes wrong

Hi Craig, despite what GC tells you, do NOT offer Hogan a new contract.
21:58, Wed 24 Apr
21:59, Wed 24 Apr
Unless you're desperate for money and won't get another job quickly, always be a man of principle.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
22:01, Wed 24 Apr
Is there not a 3? Tell him you cannot do it for religious reasons and someone else should give it a lash?

I tend to be along the lines of CYA memo at the start explaining why you think it is wrong and you will only do it - and will do so to the best of your ability - if given a direct order and such order is legal. CC’d to your personal email. (Maybe to chairman too.)
22:01, Wed 24 Apr
The Rags I have seen post on here for many years would choose 1.
22:02, Wed 24 Apr
Sounds an absolute nightmare scenario and I wish you luck. A couple of token thoughts.

1. Put your concerns in writing, discuss them with your immediate line manager (your boss?) and have them signed off/on the record. You may need this document later.

2. I always used to have a ‘people manager’ outside my normal reporting hierarchy. Is there anyone of this nature and of sufficient seniority you could raise your concerns with in a non-prejudicial way? I accept that almost all HR is outsourced these days. But again, is there a route for raising your concerns with HR.

Hope this all blows over? Sounds a damned sight more worrying than relegation, eh?
22:04, Wed 24 Apr
Not being a knob but you know this though already. Tell him to eff himself
Tony Fantastico
22:08, Wed 24 Apr
Retrain as a train driver. Easy money.
22:08, Wed 24 Apr
Do you not have a HR dept, or an anonymous Whistle Blower system?
22:09, Wed 24 Apr
Not being a knob but you know this though already. Tell him to eff himself

What i really want to do is resign out of principle .... but if i do that i walk away from a shed load of money, severance pay and worse of all, future employees will think i jumped ship before it became apparent it was going tits up and it was all my fault.

That's why i had to limit it to

1 or 2
22:11, Wed 24 Apr
Do you not have a HR dept, or an anonymous Whistle Blower system?

he's Finance and Ops Director and virtually joint boss. He would oversee the decision. .. and in terms of "whistle blowing" i'd be blowing the whistle to him, about him
22:12, Wed 24 Apr
Are you being asked to serve McDonald's breakfasts after 11 or summat?
Tam
22:15, Wed 24 Apr
Can you be fired summarily? Wouldn't that leave them open to a massive unfair dismissal claim, with the accompanying negative publicity?

Edit: it might be advisable to talk to a good employment law solicitor.
Make Blues Great Again