20:33, Sat 4 Nov
Why couldn’t they decide if it was offside or not?
20:36, Sat 4 Nov
Especially as we’ve been assured offsides aren’t subjective. It’s yes or no.
Tony Fantastico
20:42, Sat 4 Nov
Rags
From the footage Sky showed, I don't know how that ball is in play.

And the offside was blatant.

From the footage Sky showed .. of course it looked out of play from the angle the camera showed it on Sky ...... remind me to never lend you money to back the result of a photo-finish at the dogs. Angles, and line of sight.

However .. i DO think it was offside, and that was my immediate take on it, .... but VAR said the coverage was inconclusive - so not sure we can argue with that in the time available ... the ball was between the players and out of sight ... and the goal keeper was charging out as Gordon was running in - after questioning the decision myself and rewatching it, you really can't tell if Gordon was or wasn't behind the ball when it started coming towards him

Yes you could.

Guimaraes should have been sent off for the elbow. It was a malicious and deliberate act. He also blasted the ball at and hit an Arsenal player after the game had stopped, then got into a fracas with Rice where he pushed in the face. Was eventually booked for a hand off. And Toon fans booed the ref 😁
20:59, Sat 4 Nov
newblue
Why couldn’t they decide if it was offside or not?

Because the ball was hidden between three players and, therefore, VAR could not precisely define when it was played.
21:00, Sat 4 Nov
Well I could see where it was on one of the replays, and Gordon was in front.
21:13, Sat 4 Nov
He may have looked offside, he may even have been offside but it was impossible for the definitive lines to have been drawn to enable VAR to reach a conclusion rather than just an opinion.

The system is not foolproof, there will always be subjective decisions with which many will disagree (Havertz and Guimares for example) but for an offside decision to be given there has to be conclusive evidence.
21:13, Sat 4 Nov
Rags
From the footage Sky showed, I don't know how that ball is in play.

And the offside was blatant.

From the footage Sky showed .. of course it looked out of play from the angle the camera showed it on Sky ...... remind me to never lend you money to back the result of a photo-finish at the dogs. Angles, and line of sight.

However .. i DO think it was offside, and that was my immediate take on it, .... but VAR said the coverage was inconclusive - so not sure we can argue with that in the time available ... the ball was between the players and out of sight ... and the goal keeper was charging out as Gordon was running in - after questioning the decision myself and rewatching it, you really can't tell if Gordon was or wasn't behind the ball when it started coming towards him

Yes you could.

Guimaraes should have been sent off for the elbow. It was a malicious and deliberate act. He also blasted the ball at and hit an Arsenal player after the game had stopped, then got into a fracas with Rice where he pushed in the face. Was eventually booked for a hand off. And Toon fans booed the ref 😁

I think there were three separate things he should have been booked for - and therefore been sent off - i was just arguing that it wasn't as violent as the poster made out.
21:16, Sat 4 Nov
It’s a forearm in to the back of the head of Jorginho, who has just made a pass with his feet.

It’s such an obvious red.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
21:16, Sat 4 Nov
It’s a forearm in to the back of the head of Jorginho, who has just made a pass with his feet.

It’s such an obvious red.

Go on then .. i don't like the fecker anyway .... 3 reds
I’ve got a photo of that out of play ball and it’s clearly out. If I knew how to upload I would.
21:24, Sat 4 Nov
Dirty Bertie
He may have looked offside, he may even have been offside but it was impossible for the definitive lines to have been drawn to enable VAR to reach a conclusion rather than just an opinion.

The system is not foolproof, there will always be subjective decisions with which many will disagree (Havertz and Guimares for example) but for an offside decision to be given there has to be conclusive evidence.

I could see the ball, I could see where Joelinton was, I could see where Gordon was when the ball bounced off Joelinton and went forward towards Gordon who was in front of both. The system isn’t foolproof enough to accommodate that?

I agree that if it can’t it shouldn’t change a decision but seems odd. It’s not interpretive like the ‘foul’.
21:35, Sat 4 Nov
I’ve got a photo of that out of play ball and it’s clearly out. If I knew how to upload I would.

Have a look at this still

[www.skysports.com]

Then, think about the measurement of the radius of the sphere that's the ball ... ie from the centre of the ball to the edge of the ball ...

The diameter is a minimum of 8.66 inches (can go up to 9)

So the radius is a minimum of 4.33 inches

Therefore the base of the ball has to be more then 4.33 inches out of play for the edge of the ball to be out of play.

That base of the ball, in that pic is no more than 3.5 inches to 4 inches out of play

Therefore the edge of the ball wouldn't be out of play
21:36, Sat 4 Nov
What we could see on both the offside and out of play decisions was at angles that made it impossible to be certain.

The offside lines certainly could not be applied and touchline decisions can only be made with certainty when looking straight down the line.
21:40, Sat 4 Nov
I think the ref bottled the Guimares decision because he had sent off Havertz.
It would have been controversial to not punish a dangerous challenge then to red card a flap at someone.
Both could easily have been red.

I though the ball was probably just stop in. The Arsenal defender was weak and Gordon was onside when it first hit Joelinton.

The Arsenal defence mostly stopped playing. They could have made it more difficult for Gordon. The no 2 in particular was at fault.

Also Arteta is an appalling loser. It's good to see him lose just for that.
21:52, Sat 4 Nov
Off side when it went off Joelinton to Gordon. Don’t think we’re going to agree.

Anyway it was 1-0. I think generally through the game Toon got the run of the green but not the first time I’ve seen it at St James’. Used to happen to Blues 😁.

Arteta is annoying and a bad loser. So is Pep come to think of it. A lot of the top managers seem to be.