10:03, Tue 7 Dec
Fat Buddha
Rags
Why are you reading the irrelevant Mail?

I'm about as left wing as you can get ... but i read the Daily Mail website (as well as many others) every single day.

In any discussion if you can research your opponent's approach/view/opinion/argument in advance it gives you a chance to plan your own responses to what will probably crop up. Plus it's also VERY important to know and understand thoroughly all opinions which differ from your own. Who knows ? One day they may have a valid point about something.

This is such a great post. Just because we support something, we shouldn't ignore the views from the other side or at least understand where their opinion is formed. Really healthy to debate with yourself sometimes too. (obviously not aloud in the high street though).

so long as it isn't a mass debate

That would be taking the biscuit.
10:04, Tue 7 Dec
Always someone looking for attention

He seems a piece of shite
10:12, Tue 7 Dec
Rags isn't that bad - I disagree with his politics but to call him a piece of shite is taking it too far.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
10:15, Tue 7 Dec
Southy
Just because we support something, we shouldn't ignore the views from the other side or at least understand where their opinion is formed.

Are you suggesting we should read H&V?
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
10:19, Tue 7 Dec
Does anyone take Littlejohn seriously. He just comes up with controversial opinions to sell newspapers, I doubt that he believes a lot of the shite he comes out with. Oh and the Spurs attendances seem to be holding up without him.
10:23, Tue 7 Dec
Why are you reading the irrelevant Mail?

I'm about as left wing as you can get ... but i read the Daily Mail website (as well as many others) every single day.

In any discussion if you can research your opponent's approach/view/opinion/argument in advance it gives you a chance to plan your own responses to what will probably crop up. Plus it's also VERY important to know and understand thoroughly all opinions which differ from your own. Who knows ? One day they may have a valid point about something.

I'd recommend following Dom Cummings on twitter, seriously.

I agree with all you have said on this, including the Dom Cummings point.
10:31, Tue 7 Dec
A_n_E
Southy
Just because we support something, we shouldn't ignore the views from the other side or at least understand where their opinion is formed.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. There are limits. 😉
10:43, Tue 7 Dec
I don’t really see the problem even if it is a token gesture by the clubs it’s still nice.

Major corporations exploit tokenism yearly when it comes to LGBT pride month, black history month, when BLM exploded last year etc which in the long run is far more damaging imo than applauding a young lad.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:01, Tue 7 Dec
I don’t really see the problem even if it is a token gesture by the clubs it’s still nice.

Major corporations exploit tokenism yearly when it comes to LGBT pride month, black history month, when BLM exploded last year etc which in the long run is far more damaging imo than applauding a young lad.

My take on it is, even if it might appear to be tokenism, if it just gives one person pause for thought on what they are about to say/do next, then it's not a bad thing. EG the taking of the knee, yes that is the definition of tokenism to me, but if it stops one berk in the crowd saying something racist because it's made him think on, is that a bad thing? at the cost of a couple of seconds annoyance for the rest of us at the start of a game.
Bluesince62

My take on it is, even if it might appear to be tokenism, if it just gives one person pause for thought on what they are about to say/do next, then it's not a bad thing. EG the taking of the knee, yes that is the definition of tokenism to me, but if it stops one berk in the crowd saying something racist because it's made him think on, is that a bad thing? at the cost of a couple of seconds annoyance for the rest of us at the start of a game.

As ever, with the accusation of tokenism or virtue signalling, it only works if you're saying 'this isn't enough - concrete actions are needed to address this issue' - but it almost always comes from people who aren't saying anything like that e.g. most people - like Littlejohn - who object to BLM, aren't doing so on the basis that it's not going far enough but because they don't really believe racism is an issue. They should be more honest.
13:16, Tue 7 Dec
A_n_E
Southy

About 75% of this board already do
TBF and without re reading his article, hasn't Littlejohn said real action is needed not gestures? not defending him btw.
13:18, Tue 7 Dec
A_n_E
Southy

Not me, I would feel violated.
What a load of nonsense, this started off as request from the fans and then granted The PR machine started rolling, but so what.

Let’s be completely honest, there’s not much you do in life that’s selfless, even if it’s the feeling you get when doing something good. It’s feels great doesn’t it?

Personally, I think we should have a moment of reflection, but if this makes one person tell someone who stops a child getting abused then it’s worth it.

His point on football fans, clapping and cheering is ridiculous. Basically saying they can’t condemn child cruelty, because they’ve done something wrong too, completely unrelated. Classic whataboutery…..
13:39, Tue 7 Dec
Chris
A_n_E
Southy

64% of stats are made up
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast