15:19, Tue 21 Nov
Rags
Iain_Gavin
So he had a release clause in his contract.

Interesting

So “speaking to clubs behind our back” was a load of bollocks

Haven't read it, can't be arsed tbf, but aren't release clauses only relevant when they have been triggered by a club offering the correct amount to release, to the parent club?
Or have I got that wrong?

Rowett was speaking to clubs without Blues permission, behind their backs, and it was Rowett who approached the clubs

The first rumours and stories about this came from people at the clubs involved - not from sources at Blues

So basically Mr Gavin is speaking untruths?

Ta. Thought as much.
Up the feckin Blues
15:49, Tue 21 Nov
Rags
Iain_Gavin

Interesting

Haven't read it, can't be arsed tbf, but aren't release clauses only relevant when they have been triggered by a club offering the correct amount to release, to the parent club?

Rowett was speaking to clubs without Blues permission, behind their backs, and it was Rowett who approached the clubs

The first rumours and stories about this came from people at the clubs involved - not from sources at Blues

I'm not denying that - although I take all info presented as gospel from internet message boards with a pinch of salt when there is no other source, but that's just me.

My point is that until today - unless someone can correct me - there was never any report that Rowett's contract contained a clause that allowed him to speak to clubs if the clause was met. Surprisingly those who rushed to tell use that Rowett was interviewing everywhere when it was clear Zola was a shambles weren't given that information
15:55, Tue 21 Nov
Iain_Gavin
Rags
Iain_Gavin

Interesting

I'm not denying that - although I take all info presented as gospel from internet message boards with a pinch of salt when there is no other source, but that's just me.

My point is that until today - unless someone can correct me - there was never any report that Rowett's contract contained a clause that allowed him to speak to clubs if the clause was met. Surprisingly those who rushed to tell use that Rowett was interviewing everywhere when it was clear Zola was a shambles weren't given that information

There wasn't a clause because he was on a rolling deal. All any club had to do was to pay off the value of that deal, that was it.

There actually was one time earlier on where a club (Fulham) not only agreed to pay it but faxed Blues the documents. Blues then had to scramble to offer Rowett a new contract, which in fairness he apparently only signed as his backroom team got new deals too.
15:57, Tue 21 Nov
Rags
Iain_Gavin

Interesting

I disagree with the way that you are interpreting things ....

... but besides that ... "there was never any report that Rowett's contract contained a clause that allowed him to speak to clubs if the clause was met." ... the clause clearly hadn't been met, and therefore Rowett shouldn't have been approaching clubs.

The way it should work is that the club approach Blues, confirm that they are willing to meet the release fee, and then Blues give permission for Rowett to speak to that club. IF Blues refuse him permission and the other club have agreed to meet the release fee, then Blues would have been in breach of contract.
16:14, Tue 21 Nov
El Mayor
There actually was one time earlier on where a club (Fulham) not only agreed to pay it but faxed Blues the documents. Blues then had to scramble to offer Rowett a new contract, which in fairness he apparently only signed as his backroom team got new deals too.

That certainly adds up with what he was saying on the KRO podcast about wanting to reward existing players and staff with pay raises when TTA came in
16:32, Tue 21 Nov
The Fulham one he was at one point 1/6 for - so there was clearly truth in that - as Mayor says, it was soon followed by new contracts for him and his team. All the other alleged ones there was never a single word in the press, a movemement in the market, and unlike the Fulham one, it all came way after the 'fact'
17:08, Tue 21 Nov
Iain_Gavin
The Fulham one he was at one point 1/6 for - so there was clearly truth in that - as Mayor says, it was soon followed by new contracts for him and his team. All the other alleged ones there was never a single word in the press, a movemement in the market, and unlike the Fulham one, it all came way after the 'fact'

That doesn't mean it didn't happen.
17:36, Tue 21 Nov
I'd take him back in a heartbeat, great manager for us, punched above our weight, connection with the fans - Not surprised he was looking elsewhere when the new owners come in and want to change the world in a window - Wouldn't you?
Tam
17:38, Tue 21 Nov
David Xavis
I'd take him back in a heartbeat, great manager for us, punched above our weight, connection with the fans - Not surprised he was looking elsewhere when the new owners come in and want to change the world in a window - Wouldn't you?

A very worthy manager for us, no doubt, and I appreciated what he did for us, but it was bloody awful to sit through.
Make Blues Great Again
17:42, Tue 21 Nov
David Xavis

'Connection with fans' was so strong he looked for any job he could get elsewhere.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
17:44, Tue 21 Nov
I don't know why I get sucked into these conversations every 3 months.

It's like continually debating about why you'd go back to an ex girlfriend who was texting other lads on the side.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
18:20, Tue 21 Nov
Louie Donowa
I don't know why I get sucked into these conversations every 3 months.

It's like continually debating about why you'd go back to an ex girlfriend who was texting other lads on the side.

Still doesn't deny the fact he was our most successful manager since Hughton. He talks a lot of sense and unfortunately in business loyalty is not rewarded
19:05, Tue 21 Nov
David Xavis

I wouldn’t. He did a brilliant job, and I think if he’d have got the backing in January that Zola got, we’d have been very close to the playoffs, but ultimately that style of football has a lifespan, regardless of results
19:07, Tue 21 Nov
David Xavis

I would think that's why he was sacked, I mean would you have given him a transfer budget if he was to piss off anytime soon.
19:12, Tue 21 Nov
I've always had a bit of sympathy for Rowett. I know when he was at Burton he was earning £50k pa. That makes me think when he came to us he was probably relatively poorly paid compared to some of his contempories. He then did a stunning job and clearly had other teams waving their fat chequebooks at him. It would take a strange fellow not to at least go have a look see if the grass were greener.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years