16:28, Mon 4 Dec
It night be an unpopular opinion, but I think its boring .
Im rapidly falling out of love with the game, cant stand this passing it around in your own box, it just invites trouble and achieves very little, even the top teams who have the players to play like this, get themselves into trouble at some stage in almost every game ive seen.
Maybe i'm just old fashioned, but I quite like direct styles of football, I think its far more exciting.
Having said all that, although I think the modern way is not the greatest watch, I will fully support Rooney and his managment team, I know certain fans are quite vocal at games with their views, but we've all got to stick together and back the team no matter what.
16:30, Mon 4 Dec
I think your user name is a misnomer.
Man City’s tippy tippy treble must’ve been a nightmare to watch compared to those division 3 halcyon days
Tony Fantastico
I think there’s a big difference between ‘playing out from the back’ and ‘passing it about at the back’.

The ball needs to go into midfield players quickly for it to work, then moved forwards into attacking areas.

Done properly, possession is maintained more often than if the keeper or defender kick it long, creating a 50/50 percentage game. Difference is, no one moans too much when you lose possession 60 yards from your own goal because it doesn’t immediately result in a goal or chance for the opposition, however possession is still lost half the time.

I’m generally in favour of playing out, but it has become an obsession for some teams. There is still a time and place to clear your lines or go long to give the opposition something different to think about. Man City are a good example.
16:43, Mon 4 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
Man City’s tippy tippy treble must’ve been a nightmare to watch compared to those division 3 halcyon days

Call me old-fashioned but I do prefer watching some lower level stuff and football from the period you mention than what we see now at the highest level. There are many factors that have changed but I think that when players are paid a bit more in line with the rest of society you get more honest, hard-working, gritty players/games and I tend to prefer that myself. There was less play-acting back then too.
16:44, Mon 4 Dec
It's a problem that we can't accept the game has moved on.

There will be a time we kick off and home and immediately play it back to the GK (our sexy new continental playmaking GK) and there's an audible huff from the stands.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
When it’s played well it’s great to watch. Speaking of strictly in the championship I remember Burnley doing it against us last season at turf moor, and they made it look so easy. It’s also good for fitness if you can keep the ball longer, as it allows to get your energy back, and then can press more when you lose it.

Again I’ve got no issues with transitioning to this style, but the problem we have is the players just don’t look comfortable doing it, and we often pass it round the back and get nowhere, as in we give the ball away or we play into pressure, and end up losing it or lumping it anyway.
16:46, Mon 4 Dec
I'm a very simple man. I like it when Blues win and I don't like it when Blues lose.

Blokes more clever than me reckon that the teams who knock the ball about a bit win the most games.

So, I'd like it if we were able to do that successfully.
You put it far better than I did and I think you are correct, the ball has to be moved far quicker than we move it, its obvious to play this way we need far better players.
16:47, Mon 4 Dec
Did you see Ipswich's goal at the weekend? Sumptuous finish, but the build up play was an example of how it can be done well
16:50, Mon 4 Dec
When it’s played well it’s great to watch. Speaking of strictly in the championship I remember Burnley doing it against us last season at turf moor, and they made it look so easy. It’s also good for fitness if you can keep the ball longer, as it allows to get your energy back, and then can press more when you lose it.

Again I’ve got no issues with transitioning to this style, but the problem we have is the players just don’t look comfortable doing it, and we often pass it round the back and get nowhere, as in we give the ball away or we play into pressure, and end up losing it or lumping it anyway.

"but the problem we have is the players just don’t look comfortable doing it"
... or the coach can't coach it.
16:50, Mon 4 Dec
You put it far better than I did and I think you are correct, the ball has to be moved far quicker than we move it, its obvious to play this way we need far better players.

... or better coaches
16:54, Mon 4 Dec
Hoofing it upfield, watching our front players make a usually forlorn and sometimes half hearted attempt to win it (depending on the player), then seeing the other side bring it back up in attack, repeat ad infinitum; is not entertainment. There have been some scintillating games in the prem this year and the teams ar the top of our league are playing some of the best football ever seen at this level.

It has to be done with pace and verve - and then it isn’t ‘tippy tappy’ at all. As it happens you need good players to play fightball/direct as well. But in general, the team that has control of the ball the most prevails more often than not.
I actually didn’t think we were doing too bad a job playing out prior to the change of manager. It may not have been text book but we certainly havn’t gone from a kick and rush team to a passing team overnight. The difference isn’t as great as some might think from what I’ve watched, which is all bar a couple of games.
16:56, Mon 4 Dec
Hoofing it upfield, watching our front players make a usually forlorn and sometimes half hearted attempt to win it (depending on the player), then seeing the other side bring it back up in attack, repeat ad infinitum; is not entertainment. There have been some scintillating games in the prem this year and the teams ar the top of our league are playing some of the best football ever seen at this level.

It has to be done with pace and verve - and then it isn’t ‘tippy tappy’ at all. As it happens you need good players to play fightball/direct as well. But in general, the team that has control of the ball the most prevails more often than not.

Why do you confuse "direct football" with "hoofball" ? They aren't the same. In fact the statistics show we are playing more "long balls" under Rooney than we were under JE