16:56, Mon 4 Dec
newblue
Hoofing it upfield, watching our front players make a usually forlorn and sometimes half hearted attempt to win it (depending on the player), then seeing the other side bring it back up in attack, repeat ad infinitum; is not entertainment. There have been some scintillating games in the prem this year and the teams ar the top of our league are playing some of the best football ever seen at this level.

It has to be done with pace and verve - and then it isn’t ‘tippy tappy’ at all. As it happens you need good players to play fightball/direct as well. But in general, the team that has control of the ball the most prevails more often than not.

👍
16:57, Mon 4 Dec
Louie Donowa
It's a problem that we can't accept the game has moved on.

With respect, I'm not convinced that there are many people who can't accept this. I think it's more the case that many people don't agree with arguments such as 'the stats show that it's the only way to get out of this division', or even that it's the best way. That depends on many, many factors because human beings are involved, not computers.
16:58, Mon 4 Dec
always happy bluenose
It night be an unpopular opinion, but I think its boring .
Im rapidly falling out of love with the game, cant stand this passing it around in your own box, it just invites trouble and achieves very little, even the top teams who have the players to play like this, get themselves into trouble at some stage in almost every game ive seen.
Maybe i'm just old fashioned, but I quite like direct styles of football, I think its far more exciting.
Having said all that, although I think the modern way is not the greatest watch, I will fully support Rooney and his managment team, I know certain fans are quite vocal at games with their views, but we've all got to stick together and back the team no matter what.

There is no way you can watch for example Tottenham play at the moment and prefer a game of winning second balls.

The game yesterday between man City and Tottenham was very good. I think what you mean is teams trying to do it with no fluidity and players who can not do it.
17:09, Mon 4 Dec
On the balance of what I’ve seen so far at the games I’d agree with that.
17:20, Mon 4 Dec
Icm2023
always happy bluenose
Im rapidly falling out of love with the game, cant stand this passing it around in your own box, it just invites trouble and achieves very little, even the top teams who have the players to play like this, get themselves into trouble at some stage in almost every game ive seen.
Maybe i'm just old fashioned, but I quite like direct styles of football, I think its far more exciting.
Having said all that, although I think the modern way is not the greatest watch, I will fully support Rooney and his managment team, I know certain fans are quite vocal at games with their views, but we've all got to stick together and back the team no matter what.

There is no way you can watch for example Tottenham play at the moment and prefer a game of winning second balls.

The game yesterday between man City and Tottenham was very good. I think what you mean is teams trying to do it with no fluidity and players who can not do it.

especially as it's calling it boring by saying that 'even big teams are giving up chances every game'

that's partially why it's so fun to watch!
always happy bluenose

Agree, it's huge risk for little return. I am sure sky will do some stats on it one day
It would be interesting to see Man city get a goal kick and the opposition forwards\midfielders just stand on the half way line
17:31, Mon 4 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
Man City’s tippy tippy treble must’ve been a nightmare to watch compared to those division 3 halcyon days

This is the point though. Only the absolute best teams in the world can do it properly, but everyone getting a job now in coaching has to subscribe to this way of playing.

I remember a game under Rowett away at MK Dons. They were trying to do it - the keeper kept mispassing, the defenders kept losing the ball but the manager was on the sideline applauding and encouraging them to continue

We took the ball off them twice and won 2-0 at a canter - we did that a lot in those days and I fear now the shoe is on the other foot
17:37, Mon 4 Dec
The teams at the top of our league all look to me good at passing the ball. How many times for years now have people moaned on here about how so many of the teams that play us pass the ball and move better?

Teams can play direct and do it effectively. As it happens, usually in the midst of ‘launching it’ teams that have been successful at it turn out to have very good players as well who can launch it accurately and then get it down. Absolutely nothing wrong with going long when the situation present itself. It when it’s hit and hope it’s hopeless.
17:39, Mon 4 Dec
‘This is the point though. Only the absolute best teams in the world can do it properly, but everyone getting a job now in coaching has to subscribe to this way of playing’

That’s not true. But maybe most do it because you have more chance of being successful long term by doing it
Tony Fantastico
newblue
The teams at the top of our league all look to me good at passing the ball. How many times for years now have people moaned on here about how so many of the teams that play us pass the ball and move better?

Teams can play direct and do it effectively. As it happens, usually in the midst of ‘launching it’ teams that have been successful at it turn out to have very good players as well who can launch it accurately and then get it down. Absolutely nothing wrong with going long when the situation present itself. It when it’s hit and hope it’s hopeless.

I want my team to pass and move in midfield, on the wings, and up front. Not give the ball to the centre half in the 6 yrd box, complete half a dozen passes in and around your area before eventually being boxed in by your own corner flag, ive never got that and never will even if it means being a dinosaur
17:45, Mon 4 Dec
Probably Pep’s* fault. Ze Germans think so

[bleacherreport.com]

[www.tntsports.co.uk]

*no, not Clotet you smartarses 🤨
That really isn’t what a good passing game is about, is it, and no would claim that it is. A team has to move the ball through the opposition too, though of course sometimes that is about drawing them on.
17:51, Mon 4 Dec
You put it far better than I did and I think you are correct, the ball has to be moved far quicker than we move it, its obvious to play this way we need far better players.

... or better coaches

Odd position to take Rags, given that two of them are thought good enough to coach at international level. Rather points more to the players and the failings of JE to drill the required basics into them when he was here.
I'm not entirely sure it works on TV too well. You need to see the bigger picture to fully appreciate it.

It's like any other style of football though; a poor game is a poor game, good ones are generally better to watch.
Bang it to a winger who takes it to the line then crosses for some Nat Lofthouse bastard to put ball and keeper in the net.

That’s football.