JCL
12:26, Fri 8 Dec
I'm sure all he cares about for his legacy is number of majors, don't imagine he is that bothered about many more PGA wins. As has been said he has exemption to all the majors for quite some time.

Less golf, more structured calendar, easier control over his image rights and an absolute boat load of cash. I can see why he did it.

After the PGA seems to go about face and take the Saudi dollar why shouldn't he.

Only possible drawback I'd not playing the Ryder cup but the time the next one comes around they will have changes that rule I have no doubt.
Everything in moderation, even moderation.
13:39, Fri 8 Dec
Ricky Blotto
It's obscene greed. How much money do you need?

Eff Rahm, eff Saudi.

I'm quite confident you wouldn't say the same thing if placed in their shoes. What loyalty is there anyway? It's not like he's leaving his hometown club to go to their rivals. Tours are different beasts. They are companies, businesses. Nout else.
14:18, Fri 8 Dec
Mr BS
“This is a great opportunity for me and my family”

This is what galls people, just say “I’ve gone purely for the money” and you’d probably get more respect

I can’t argue with anything Rahm has said or done. That quote is factually correct and the vast majority of people would do the same in his position. In my opinion.

It’s more galling listening to McIlroy taking the moral high ground, only to climb down and demand the rules are rewritten now he’s losing a Ryder Cup team-mate who he feels he can’t afford to.
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men
....money he couldn't turn down I guess, very disappointing though 👎😤
He definitely could turn it down.
Tony Fantastico
14:24, Fri 8 Dec
Ricky Blotto
It's obscene greed. How much money do you need?

Eff Rahm, eff Saudi.
👍
Tony Fantastico
14:24, Fri 8 Dec
Oldham
Exactly. It is obscene greed, but how many of us would be turning it down?
Me
Tony Fantastico
14:29, Fri 8 Dec
I know it's fashionable to dislike Rory but his is the only comment I've found and he doesn't appear to be demanding anything here to me.

"Jon is going to be in Bethpage in 2025 so, because of this decision, the European Tour are going to have to rewrite the rules for Ryder Cup eligibility like, absolutely, there’s no question about that."

He's predicting more than anything and I'm guessing he'll end up being correct.
14:43, Fri 8 Dec
That would be stupid Rab even if you did not want a penny for yourself.

You'd be well advised to take it. You'd pay a feckload in taxes and could always choose to give the rest away. It could do much good here then and not stay in Saudi pockets.

I have no doubt Rahm will not be so altruistic and has done this to further enrich himself. Like the rest of us that is his right.
14:44, Fri 8 Dec
True. But I’d still tell them to eff off. Which would be my right
Tony Fantastico
14:48, Fri 8 Dec
If the merger goes through Rahm would end up taking Saudi money anyway
14:55, Fri 8 Dec
I know Rab. You are very principled on such matters and it would of course be your right. 👍

I don't like golf or follow it so don't really care on this particular one. The shame of this is other sports are going to be ruined. I think similar splits are coming in tennis, various US field sports and quite possibly to European club football (as a number still want an elite European club league).
14:56, Fri 8 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
Oldham
Exactly. It is obscene greed, but how many of us would be turning it down?
Me

And me.
14:59, Fri 8 Dec
Miguelagenn
I know it's fashionable to dislike Rory but his is the only comment I've found and he doesn't appear to be demanding anything here to me.

"Jon is going to be in Bethpage in 2025 so, because of this decision, the European Tour are going to have to rewrite the rules for Ryder Cup eligibility like, absolutely, there’s no question about that."

He's predicting more than anything and I'm guessing he'll end up being correct.

Yeah, I think Redditch Blue is being harsh on McIlroy there.

He has been very, very loyal and principled throughout and has been royally screwed over.

All he's doing now is pointing out the obvious about where it's all headed.

His personal position has never changed but has been massively undermined.
15:03, Fri 8 Dec
and this is what he said about the move [twitter.com]. Quite reasonable really.
15:04, Fri 8 Dec
I rate McIlroy so much for his stance on this ripping up of history
Tony Fantastico