Bob
22:12, Wed 13 Dec
Finchy
Thought they were poor but they do have a lot of players who always seem to do well against us so I'm chuffed.

They weren’t the greatest BUT good to see Rooney (finally) learning from his mistakes.

Hopefully even better to come.
22:13, Wed 13 Dec
TrickyBlue
Much better defensively.

Some nice bits of play.

Clean sheet.

Should have scored more.

Hopefully the turning point

We certainly looked a lot more comfortable on the ball in tight areas, in our own half. Broke forward with purpose a few times. Sunjic rises AGAIN!! still a lot to improve on but improvement none the less.
22:16, Wed 13 Dec
Decent effort all round, more of the same please.
22:20, Wed 13 Dec
I don't get why some are comparing this as a return to our previous managers tactics/approach, I don't think we ever played 433 this season under him.

When we lose, it's fair to question Rooney's approach, the value the staff are adding and the application of the players.
Tonight we won and deserved to win, so the praise goes to Rooney, the staff and players. The all looked very together at the final whistle.
00:34, Thu 14 Dec
Waggeh
Nothing but positives here boss.

This here
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
01:06, Thu 14 Dec
I don't get why some are comparing this as a return to our previous managers tactics/approach, I don't think we ever played 433 this season under him.

When we lose, it's fair to question Rooney's approach, the value the staff are adding and the application of the players.
Tonight we won and deserved to win, so the praise goes to Rooney, the staff and players. The all looked very together at the final whistle.

This
01:15, Thu 14 Dec
I saw it as 4-2-3-1

Bielik looked better with Sunjic next to him

Solid back four, not a lot of tippy tapping

Stansfield running and pressing nicely up top

James, Bacuna and Dembele gelled quite well

They looked like they knew what they were doing, which is exactly what Rooney needs to continue with to pick up points and until we get a new batch of players who may be able to play his way
04:38, Thu 14 Dec
Felix1875

👏
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
05:12, Thu 14 Dec
It was definitely 433, which the manager mentions in his after match comments when he talks about the front 3.

Having Bielik and Sunjic playing together was more John Eustace.

IMO I thought we tried to play more football than we did with the previous manager. We also push the fullbacks up which presented a great chance for Buchanan. We never saw that under JE.
07:16, Thu 14 Dec
The passing stats for the whole team are up 10 points. Players who had 70% accuracy are now 80%. The 80% are now 90%. This means players are making better passes to players who are in better positions. This really matters.
08:19, Thu 14 Dec
Felix1875

👏 someone who gets it.
08:25, Thu 14 Dec
Sunjic and Bielik didn't sit together as a 2 though. Bielik was in the centre with James and Sunjic higher and wider. With Bacuna, Stansfield and Dembele as a front three.

Comparisons to DvB-ball are off the mark for me. We passed it well from deep, and let the full-backs stay wide rather than tucking in with loads of cover from the wide midfielders.
08:29, Thu 14 Dec
People are really missing the point with the Eustace comparison.

I don’t see anyone saying it was a carbon copy of how we were under the DvB, but it’s by far the most similar performance under Rooney to how we were under him. Playing a lower block, not passing it around aimlessly round the back for the majority of the game, far more solid defensively.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:41, Thu 14 Dec
Felix1875

Yep. I really liked the midfield 3 that played last night. All 3 of them were good with James MOTM again in my view. I really like him. Sunjic was excellent doing what he does best which is chasing/pressing. Bielik missed a few opportunities to play the front 3 in on the break but that will come. We didn't see that combo under JE.

Watching that performance and then reading the latest Athletic article, you can't help feeling more positive. Monday's game aside, I think we should start to see a run being put together.
14:38, Thu 14 Dec
Thanks for all the replies, they’ve helped a lot.

It seems those that saw the positives in the previous games were right and are the ones to listen to on footballing matters so fair play to them.

A few doubters have been turned, which is very encouraging. If you haven’t read the article in the Athletic you really should.

And finally, there’s still a few who cannot help but put a negative slant on things, no matter what. Their opinion is entrenched and they’re welcome to it. My “ignore” net is a little fuller but so is my blue heart.

KRO