11:55, Sun 17 Dec
Clapton
That’s because Preston, was where the FA, was based originally.
No, the FA has always been based in London. You're thinking of the League. Which has been around, but was in Lytham St Annes when Hardaker was secretary and Preston since 1999.
11:56, Sun 17 Dec
Yeah you’re right.
12:07, Sun 17 Dec
Celtic v Rangers. It’s more than just football.
12:17, Sun 17 Dec
foghorn leghorn
Funniest thing I've read in years

Funniest thing I read was that Newcastle and Sunderland are 40 miles apart.

I fact, you can actually see the Sunderland ground from the away end at newcastle.

Is that true ?
Been in the Newcastle away end a few times and never noticed this.
13:14, Sun 17 Dec
Ten miles as the crow flies. If the crow doesn't flies in a straight line and doesn't stop off anywhere.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
13:29, Sun 17 Dec
Preston, Burnley and Blackburn may have been rivals before the inaugural leauge season, but Blackburn v Burnley is the original and therefore the oldest league derby, in England. I hope this clarifies it.

The enmity over who were the superior weavers even pre dates football by another hundred years.

Is that true ?
Been in the Newcastle away end a few times and never noticed this.

Its about 8 or 9 miles away, you can clearly see the big white roof at Sunderland.
13:46, Sun 17 Dec
foghorn leghorn
Funniest thing I've read in years

Funniest thing I read was that Newcastle and Sunderland are 40 miles apart.

I fact, you can actually see the Sunderland ground from the away end at newcastle.

Got mixed up with Middlesbrough, although I still didn't realise how close Newcastle and Sunderland are. Suppose it's like Blues and Coventry distance wise but I wouldn't say that Coventry is a derby.
13:52, Sun 17 Dec
foghorn leghorn
but Blackburn v Burnley is the original and therefore the oldest league derby, in England. I hope this clarifies it.
The first ever league fixtures included Wolves v Vile, so it’s not even the first league derby via luck of the draw.