You have completely dodged my 'every derby is unique' point.
'I truly believe that at some point during his Pompey tenure, Cotterill stated into the abyss and was met, after a time, with the gentlest of breezes and carried upon that breeze was a tiny, sweet voice, whispering "Everyone knows you're a ****". Over and over and over.' - The Secret Footballer, on Steve Cotterill.
08:41, Sun 17 Dec
Point out where I used the word "bigger". Read what I wrote again and take a breath.

Burnley Blackburn has 10 times more history. They were the original powerhouses of league football. They are both seminal to the establishment of the football league. They were at the centre of the north south divide and the amateur v professionals debate.

Whereas we came late to the party and were derived from the more established football community, in north brum (holte wanderers encouraged our cricketers to give football a try).

Ours is essentially a postcode rivalry and it's got really tame since the league cup night of the flares.
09:23, Sun 17 Dec
Whist I understand the history of that fixture it’s still just two small cotton mill towns that have a rivalry. It cannot in anyway be measured against a big city rivalry.

My personal opinion but I don’t see those games as genuine Derby’s. It’s not the same as having school friends and family on either side of the divide.

In those games you travel in and out for the game. Once back on your turf you won’t encounter any further aggro.

Ours is different from the minute you leave home anything is possible because we share the town with our rivals.
09:31, Sun 17 Dec
If you are making the parameters do small you may as well judt say 'in Birmingham'.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
09:39, Sun 17 Dec
Clapton
Whist I understand the history of that fixture it’s still just two small cotton mill towns that have a rivalry. It cannot in anyway be measured against a big city rivalry.

My personal opinion but I don’t see those games as genuine Derby’s. It’s not the same as having school friends and family on either side of the divide.

In those games you travel in and out for the game. Once back on your turf you won’t encounter any further aggro.

Ours is different from the minute you leave home anything is possible because we share the town with our rivals.

I thought Villa fans mostly lived in Staffordshire? 😉
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
09:47, Sun 17 Dec
This actually illustrates my point a Derby is when you play a team from the same town or city. Anything else is just an imitation.
09:48, Sun 17 Dec
I disagree to be honest. Thats a local derby. Actually it's not even that, it's a cross city derby. Blackburn and Burnley is a local derby.

This is why the whole thing is pointless everyone will always find a way to make theirs sound like the biggest.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
10:00, Sun 17 Dec
foghorn leghorn
Exeter v Plymouth

"dirty northern bastard"

foghorn leghorn
burnley v blackburn has 10 times more history.
It doesn't. Blackburn's first main rivalries were with Olympic, Darwen, and Preston NE. It just has a different history.
10:14, Sun 17 Dec
foghorn leghorn
Plus, they've ALWAYS been intimidated by us (You only have to look at their reaction to Knighhead). They've ALWAYS been jealous of our humour, our songs, our carrying the city's name.

In your mind, maybe. Intimidated by what, exactly? A fat idiot running on the pitch.

Our derby is tame. Exeter v Plymouth has got more spice and burnley v blackburn has 10 times more history.

Funniest thing I've read in years
10:18, Sun 17 Dec
They couldn’t give a turd. Their owners are amongst the wealthiest in the world
10:20, Sun 17 Dec
It's the oldest derby in England. Preston apart, none of those teams exist anymore. 500 page Books have been penned, just concerning the east lancs derby it has more historical worth than the birmingham derby.

[www.lancs.live]
10:26, Sun 17 Dec
Ours is essentially a postcode rivalry and it's got really tame since the league cup night of the flare.

I spot a flaw in your argument 😄
10:34, Sun 17 Dec
Funniest thing I've read in years

Funniest thing I read was that Newcastle and Sunderland are 40 miles apart.

I fact, you can actually see the Sunderland ground from the away end at newcastle.
11:18, Sun 17 Dec
foghorn leghorn
It's the oldest derby in England.
Well, leaving aside Sheffield v Hallam (first played in 1860) as it's between non-league clubs, Burnley was not even formed until 1882, by which time Small Heath had played Aston Villa. Also the first Vile-Albion match I can find took place in December 1882, two years before Burnley were big enough to warrant Blackburn Rovers deigning to play them.

And, of course, Notts County v Nottingham Forest has been played since the 1860s.
11:39, Sun 17 Dec
That’s because Preston, was where the FA, was based originally.