14:53, Tue 19 Dec
Dan
10 in 11 I think it was
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
14:54, Tue 19 Dec
Snoop
Llanon_joe
Can we please stop saying this about players that are doing well. What's the obsession with people saying it? I counted about 4 people saying it in the JJ post. Last season it was build around Hall (that would of worked out well). Just let these young footballers develop naturally. I love James just as much as the next fan but let's chill out a bit please.

Do top teams still build teams around a good player anymore? Surly that died as soon messi left barcalona.

I think all teams still do, if it you mean it the way I think of it.

I take it to mean having one or two players that a team recognises as their premier talent and setting up, and recruiting, in such a way as to maximise what they can do. It can be less obvious at the very top teams as they have often collected more of the very best players together. Man City changed their style of play to get the maximum from Haaland - reduced the call on their striker to be an all round player and increased the number of crosses they get into the box for him. Real seem in a similar position with Bellingham - they're playing him, and setting up around him, in a way that is intended to maximise his ability rather than him just slotting into how they played before his arrival.

Man city are the perfect point. They all play to a system regardless of who's in the starting line up. Having haaland gives them the option of crossing into the box but it's not their main plan of attack. What happens when the player the team is being built around gets injured? I wouldn't even say Madrids team was built around Cristiano Ronaldo, he was the guy who stayed near the top end of the goal and scored unholy amounts of goals. I'd say Sergio Ramos was just as important in that team. Or do you only build teams around attacking players?
14:57, Tue 19 Dec
Robert Hopkins
it means that we built our team around Juke when he could run, the tactics were to suit him. high balls into box which he generally tended to put in the box. When he stopped being able to run we carried pinging in to Hogan and he didn't score for some reason

It's a lot different playing to your only goal threats strengths, like your juke example. I really wouldn't suggest the team was built around him. That seems and seemed at the time very survival instinct.
15:00, Tue 19 Dec
Llanon_joe
Can we please stop saying this about players that are doing well. What's the obsession with people saying it? I counted about 4 people saying it in the JJ post. Last season it was build around Hall (that would of worked out well). Just let these young footballers develop naturally. I love James just as much as the next fan but let's chill out a bit please.

Do top teams still build teams around a good player anymore? Surly that died as soon messi left barcalona.

Surely players like Messi are the exact reason you should build a team around them?
'I truly believe that at some point during his Pompey tenure, Cotterill stated into the abyss and was met, after a time, with the gentlest of breezes and carried upon that breeze was a tiny, sweet voice, whispering "Everyone knows you're a ****". Over and over and over.' - The Secret Footballer, on Steve Cotterill.
QBBC2

They’re saying it because they’re seeing it and it’s working so, logically, if we build (ie train/select/play/recruit) with his best attributes in mind he, and we as a team, will be better. You think Rooney should bench him and bring him on as a number 8 late on until he “develops”?

Yes, because thats the only other option 😂
We don’t have an embarrassment of riches like ManC and Madrid so neither are even a good example, let alone ‘perfect’

You think we shouldn’t utilise JJ’s talent by gearing the team around his attributes in case he gets injured? That’s the very antithesis of No Fear football and a rather pessimistic and cowardly way to want to play or manage.
15:03, Tue 19 Dec
QBBC2

They’re saying it because they’re seeing it and it’s working so, logically, if we build (ie train/select/play/recruit) with his best attributes in mind he, and we as a team, will be better. You think Rooney should bench him and bring him on as a number 8 late on until he “develops”?

Yes, because thats the only other option 😂

What are your preferred options Joe? You’ve ruled out setting up to get the most out of his game so what’s your plan?
15:03, Tue 19 Dec
That's what I'm saying. It worked when Messi was the best player in the world and that barcalona team was obviously built to his strengths. Are we saying James' impact on our team is the same as messi' on Barca team? Like I said l, I love James but let's not get too excited
15:06, Tue 19 Dec
That's what I'm saying. It worked when Messi was the best player in the world and that barcalona team was obviously built to his strengths. Are we saying James' impact on our team is the same as messi' on Barca team? Like I said l, I love James but let's not get too excited

Tbf I think you’re the only one getting that excited about it just so you can argue against it.
15:07, Tue 19 Dec
Just play him in midfield as a box to box type player. Make sure he sticks to whatever the shape they have trained for and pick up his runners. Get in the oppositions box when he can and try and score goals. Which I'm pretty sure is what he is starting to do. That doesn't mean it's the Jordan James show week in week out.
15:07, Tue 19 Dec
Llanon_joe

Disagree. I think we should build the team around him.
15:20, Tue 19 Dec
footballisanart
Llanon_joe

So how do we go about that then? How does Rooney get the rest of the squad to train to his strengths? Who do we recruit to get the best out of him? Shall we first work out what his best position is? How does Rooney even start that conversation with the rest of the squad that they are all there to serve JJ?
15:21, Tue 19 Dec
Llanon_joe
Snoop
Llanon_joe

I think all teams still do, if it you mean it the way I think of it.

I take it to mean having one or two players that a team recognises as their premier talent and setting up, and recruiting, in such a way as to maximise what they can do. It can be less obvious at the very top teams as they have often collected more of the very best players together. Man City changed their style of play to get the maximum from Haaland - reduced the call on their striker to be an all round player and increased the number of crosses they get into the box for him. Real seem in a similar position with Bellingham - they're playing him, and setting up around him, in a way that is intended to maximise his ability rather than him just slotting into how they played before his arrival.

Man city are the perfect point. They all play to a system regardless of who's in the starting line up. Having haaland gives them the option of crossing into the box but it's not their main plan of attack. What happens when the player the team is being built around gets injured? I wouldn't even say Madrids team was built around Cristiano Ronaldo, he was the guy who stayed near the top end of the goal and scored unholy amounts of goals. I'd say Sergio Ramos was just as important in that team. Or do you only build teams around attacking players?

I disagree - when Haaland plays, Man City play in a different way to how they did before him and how they do without him.

Later years Ronaldo at Real is a great example of a team being set up around a player - the team was set up around what he would do (get in the box and score goals) and what he wouldn't do (pretty much anything else). It became even more so at Juventus and Man Utd, until each in turn realised the cost outweighed the gain.
Ramos was key to Real but the team wasn't built around him, you are right that building teams around attacking players is the way of it - but then not a surprise given how much more highly the best attackers are generally rated than defenders. Defence is much more of a team effort than attack, teams will build a defence around a player but not a whole team. Top defenders, like Ramos, allow the attacking players the greater freedom to be freed from responsibility.
15:23, Tue 19 Dec
QBBC2
We don’t have an embarrassment of riches like ManC and Madrid so neither are even a good example, let alone ‘perfect’

You think we shouldn’t utilise JJ’s talent by gearing the team around his attributes in case he gets injured? That’s the very antithesis of No Fear football and a rather pessimistic and cowardly way to want to play or manage.

I'm using man city and Madrid as examples as they are the only examples people are giving me
15:37, Tue 19 Dec
Llanon_joe
footballisanart
Llanon_joe

So how do we go about that then? How does Rooney get the rest of the squad to train to his strengths? Who do we recruit to get the best out of him? Shall we first work out what his best position is? How does Rooney even start that conversation with the rest of the squad that they are all there to serve JJ?

I think you are looking too deep into it just so you can argue against it. Building a playing style to suit one player is different to building a team around somebody. Maybe the terminology isn’t correct but what I think most people mean is he should be a starter from now on regardless of signings they’d like to see him excel in his position and get others of a similar quality or higher quality with him on the pitch to also help him become ever better.

It isn’t everybody play to suite Jordan James or make him look good and i don’t think anybody is implying that.