16:01, Thu 28 Dec
Rajah Monkey was good
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
16:10, Thu 28 Dec
Purple Rooms in Hall Green still going? I used to love it there
16:11, Thu 28 Dec
Mayor what's the best ladypool road traditional balti house that's still there?

Really want to go for one, it's been years, before it's too late.

Is it that Shabab's place?
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
16:12, Thu 28 Dec
Zaz
Turn round and go to one of the many Indian restaurants on Melton Rd in Leicester, infinitely better than anything I've ever had in Brum.
16:13, Thu 28 Dec
Nikola Zigic

Probably is yes
17:04, Thu 28 Dec
Zaz
Diwan, Alcester Road, Balsall Heath my personally fav and have been going for 29 years

Need to take your own booze
17:15, Thu 28 Dec
I was going to say Diwan 👍
17:33, Thu 28 Dec
I confess to eating out for a ruby at least once a week, including Christmas Day.

I'm a frequent visitor to both Diwan & Shababs. Diwan has great starters, curries are just quite good. Shababs has average starters, but the balti's are another level. I've eaten curries all over the UK & Shababs remains consistently IMO the best by some distance. I'd never drive there. It's beers in Moseley, then a short cab or 15/20 minute walk. Popular Balti is very close to Shababs is also good, but not great.

Of others mentioned here I'd say Raja Monkey is good, Covered Waggon is not for me, but I'm veggie and like all of these desi grills it's very meat centric, so I'm not best to judge.

If I ever get caught my last meal would be at/from Shababs!

Purple Rooms closed a few years ago after a rename.
17:36, Thu 28 Dec
kilbey
I confess to eating out for a ruby at least once a week, including Christmas Day.

I'm a frequent visitor to both Diwan & Shababs. Diwan has great starters, curries are just quite good. Shababs has average starters, but the balti's are another level. I've eaten curries all over the UK & Shababs remains consistently IMO the best by some distance. I'd never drive there. It's beers in Moseley, then a short cab or 15/20 minute walk. Popular Balti is very close to Shababs is also good, but not great.

Of others mentioned here I'd say Raja Monkey is good, Covered Waggon is not for me, but I'm veggie and like all of these desi grills it's very meat centric, so I'm not best to judge.

If I ever get caught my last meal would be at/from Shababs!

Purple Rooms closed a few years ago after a rename.

Popular was always the ghetto choice when I lived around there back in 2001. Was good but compared to the nearby Shababs and Al-Frash (rip) it just looked rough.
17:51, Thu 28 Dec
It was done up a few years back, but is still frequented by a lot of taxi drivers etc. It used to be called something else, but I'm a lot older than you Dan, so that's probably before your time. Can't remember what it was called - age again!!

Forgot to say that "Saleems", formerly of Ladypool Road, was opened again about 6 years ago on the Stratford Road in Hall Green by the train station, so parking is good. Now called Abduls Cafe. Same guy, good food and very reasonably priced, if a bit cafe style - a la the name. Diwan/Shababs/Abduls are all BYOB.
18:03, Thu 28 Dec
blues
Manzils is utter shit

Not after 10 pints
18:04, Thu 28 Dec
Nikola Zigic

Yes
Abu
18:48, Thu 28 Dec
Zaz
Royal Watan on Pershore Road.
19:00, Thu 28 Dec
Abu
Abu
Royal Watan on Pershore Road.

Never been there myself but I met someone who went to Brum for something work related and on a night out ended up at the Royal Watan. He has since been back twice despite living about 50 miles away.
The truth is like Poetry but no one likes Poetry.
19:14, Thu 28 Dec
kilbey
I'd never drive there. It's beers in Moseley, then a short cab or 15/20 minute walk.

Why would you not drive there? genuine question.