10:52, Tue 2 Jan
Bluesince62
GBBlue
Terrible timing for his appointment both in terms of league position, previous result against WBA and the run we knew he started with.
Terrible reaction from fans. The red faced anger after one home defeat, the keyboard warriors and stupid memes. We as fans need to have a long hard look at ourselves
No luck with injuries - Long, Buchanan, Dramah and Laird all struggling to get any regular game time. Plus Hall, Roberts, Anderson all being out for most/all his tenure.
But stupid formations and tactics in his first few games were naïve
Then his reversion to Fear football since Plymouth/Leicester really did it for me, if we are going back to Eustaceball we may as well have kept him.

Personally I think without either much better fortune in the injury department i.e. keeping full backs fit, keeping Long fit and keeping Roberts & Anderson fit AND getting a striker in during the loan window any manager is going to struggle. Rooney may not have been the greatest manager alive but he was also a very unlucky one too.

At least Wagner is keeping us in the news...

Couldn't agree more.

This is it for me. It's so important to get off to a good start. That first game against Boro was representative of kamikaze football we saw in his first games and it immediately underlined the notion that he didn't have a clue. He started gary gardner ffs. The results then were actually better than they have been of late though, which is all that needs to be said really.

Glad he's gone.
10:55, Tue 2 Jan
Rags
Just had a text to say he has gone.

Told you all.

When I saw rooneys half arsed attempt at clapping the fans after the game yesterday, it just looked very 'f**k it! Why bother?' but I did think he had a bit more fight in him.
I hope cole and O'Shea feel just as culpable for all this because that is some of the worse defending I have ever seen at times.
10:56, Tue 2 Jan
The big concern for me regarding the tactics is that it may not have been WCW who was insisting on playing this way.

If the next bloke carries on attempting the impossible with this set of players, then we'll know it is the owners demanding this...
The cold never bothered me anyway
10:57, Tue 2 Jan
Tbf I was there yesterday. He's hardly going to continue clapping when everyone is telling him to f@@@ off.
If I had the wings of a sparrow
10:59, Tue 2 Jan
Rasputin
The big concern for me regarding the tactics is that it may not have been WCW who was insisting on playing this way.

If the next bloke carries on attempting the impossible with this set of players, then we'll know it is the owners demanding this...

Yeah it is a fair point to make, but I will say that at Derby he insisted on flying full backs and the keeper playing out from the back even though he had 2 left feet - we'll see though.
Up the feckin Blues
11:06, Tue 2 Jan
Cattellroadcorner
Tbf I was there yesterday. He's hardly going to continue clapping when everyone is telling him to f@@@ off.

Agreed, but it did just seem very defeated by him. In an ideal outcome, I would of loved Rooney to turn it around. It wasn't to be, so let's see the next lamb to the slaughter. With how badly the last appointment was this next one is huge. Although it's almost a free hit as we can't be any worse in terms of morale and style of play. I dont get excited of the thought of bielsa or mowbrey. We need long term!
11:10, Tue 2 Jan
BEST NEWS EVER GREAT START TO 2024 ....KRO
Two week too late
11:19, Tue 2 Jan
But what next?

Two schools of thought

A) They maintain the desire to play football in a way that will lead us not only to better results but next season or 2026 will push us into a top 6 position.

Evidentially either this squad is absolutely incapable of passing, cultured football or Rooney and Co just couldn't coach it to them. If it is the former (which I think it is) whoever comes in will struggle in exactly the same manner.

B) We throw that idea out at least until the summer and have the mother of all squad investments (within FFP) and go back to Rowett, Eustace, Bowyer type football this season.

Probably more likely because of the danger of relegation but then are we simply just heading for a fall when whichever pragmatic manager comes in simply can't revert to a more progressive promotion driven football when we do get players in who can do exciting things like pass the ball to team mates with regularity and accuracy. Or we have a short term manager in and change in the summer which means another change..

In the long term inching to 10th rather than 17th by bringing a Rowett character back is not going to excite either investors or the fans.

Also what I would say is that if the new manager can't get a tune out of this squad then Gardner is toast soon as well.
11:33, Tue 2 Jan
Tam
Thank goodness he's been sacked.
A most ridiculous managerial appointment.

Just get this next one right.
11:34, Tue 2 Jan
Marvelous news. Well done to whoever pulled the trigger

Hassenthll , cooper or mowbray please
11:47, Tue 2 Jan
It should be B) of course, because it should have been B) from the start of the season. Unless Eustace had got us this close to the drop zone, he should have been safe for the season. We can blame the board for acting too swiftly, but a vocal minority of fans echoed that impatience, turning on Eustace after a few bad results (where we were still competitive and had similar accuentating circumstances to Rooney in that we were carrying injuries and suspensions).

We had very little wiggle-room last summer for signings, and those we pulled off came with baggage (injuries primarily, while Burke's late addition proves he was very much a last-gasp option when all others had been exhausted). We also knew that this coming summer than not only would the FFP shackles be loosened, but a significant number of highly paid players were coming to the end of their contracts, giving us a major platform to rebuild around the no-fear philosophy.

It's all water under the bridge, but unless they can find a no-fear manager who's experienced, proven and smart enough to coach this set of players to survival using evolution over revolution, then a short-term appointment is necessary.