I'm not defending the abuse at all, but one of the issues I had with Rooney was his engagement with fans - compare him to the stuff you saw Garry Monk do and it was absolute chalk and cheese. Knighthead know how to engage fans, they ae having a blip at the minute but i imagine there will be a lot of public outings for the new coaching team to minimise any negativity.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
I agree Rooney wasn't particularly engaging or enthusiastic, but the game I am referring to was his first home game, he quite literally hadn't had a chance to engage with fans (home) until that point and was met with abuse as he walked out the tunnel?

Would you be particularly engaging with people in the same circumstance?

It's my belief a small % of fans had made their mind up on Rooney before a ball had been kicked and were going to abuse him regardless as they weren't happy with his appointment/JE's dismissal, that has to change.
shd
11:46, Thu 4 Jan
Great article as always

If as you say when a manager is sacked their contract is paid up as a lump sum, how is JE still on the books as is being reported ?
11:55, Thu 4 Jan
shd
shd
Great article as always

If as you say when a manager is sacked their contract is paid up as a lump sum, how is JE still on the books as is being reported ?

It ISN'T always paid as a lump sum. Generally what happens is a manager continues to be paid until their contract ends or they get another job, which ever comes first.

However, there can be mutual agreements where a sum / plan is agreed. There can also be clauses in contracts which state a set amount of money.
jefflynneshair
Had Sunjic’s late effort against Bristol City been the other side of the post then Rooney would most likely still be manager regardless of the result at Leeds. It was dour though, ultimately, I would argue that that was the game that really got him sacked and the negative set up effectively worked against him.

If Beilik hadn’t got sent off he definitely would be.
Gazball?
I’m in row 36 of the GM and the season ticket holders by me are usually supportive and not slagging the team or manager off before a game.However there are others who relish the idea of slagging off players in the warm up and WR was never given a chance by these types,whether he was good enough or not.We need to support the club and team together.It still amazes me that we have fans who have already forgotten what it was like before May8th when Tom walked into Blues and started the revolution.
La Fine Della Strada
My Blue Heaven
I think it’s: down to both parties. If we don’t fill the place, it’s gives Knighthead less to invest. They’ve already spent millions in any event.

The Rooney debacle hasn’t helped but I’m sure the players would perform better in front of a supportive fan base too. I’d be terrified trying something different in front of our lo, it just turns to personal abuse.

Ruddy for example is a good bloke, a solid pro who’s been a decent signing, he’s getting dogs every game for not being Neuer

I am with you on this and it is a concern I share.

I am surrounded by idiots in the GML who were hurling abuse at WR/players before a ball had even been kicked v Hull (H) and I think I commented on the match thread of that game that I believed the negativity from the stands that day spilled out on to the pitch. That isn't to say Rooney would have been a success here had everyone been 100% supportive as I think he is a largely useless manager, but I hope the new manager is met with more support.

Our fan bases mindset has to shift in order for us to progress, albeit everyone has their share of idiots.

I'm in the Tilton, and whilst there was no pre-hull abuse for Rooney, I was shocked at how lukewarm the reception was for him.....Clearly he was going to have no honeymoon period and had to start off flying, but it just never happened
13:10, Thu 4 Jan
Sorry I dont support the Rooney had no chance from day one myth.

He ultimately bought the negativity on himself from game one.

I was one of over 2k that travelled to Middlesboro for his first game, when he started Sunjic Right Midfield and bought Gardner into the team.
This clearly smacked of trying to prove a point, as if he had done his research he would of known both of these changes we likely to cause problems and make a positive result very unlikely.
He then coupled it with a half arsed acknowledgement of the supporters from the technical area at full time. I immediately thought well the fans and management connect from under JE has already gone.

The Hull home game again whilst a football lesson from Hull, was not helped by Rooneys disconnect from the fans.

Once the poor results continued it made the disconnect and relationship more severe by the game.

I personally couldnt understand what he thought he could achieve by throwing the players under the proverbial bus after every poor performance and result.
13:18, Thu 4 Jan
I’ve got to clarify he acknowledged the away fans from about 30 yards away. Not the Technical Area. He was shit without needing to exaggerate things. And he’s gone. History. Like the others before him.
Look forward
Tony Fantastico