15:07, Wed 10 Jan
Rags
To also be fair to him, i don't think he actually lacks effort. When fans complain about him not covering back etc i genuinely think that it hasn't occurred to his non-footballing brain to do so.

There's a very good example of him doing just that in that YouTube clip. He's training at Leipzig and he's just watching the game go by without any thought of where he should be positioned to be involved in play, and then it clicks and he makes a move.
15:16, Wed 10 Jan
If TM can get him to look like a footballer anything is possible. It’s going to be interesting.
15:21, Wed 10 Jan
It'll be interesting to see, but I'm not sure there's ever been a real footballer in there and his pace/physique have been what have got him deals and moves. That said, I said when he came in, it's relatively low risk and potential high reward. If we can get the best out of him, all the better.
15:34, Wed 10 Jan
He must have put in some performances somewhere….it can’t be just power and pace, surely?
15:39, Wed 10 Jan
I think there's been flashes here and there, and with his physical attributes there's always been clubs/managers that have thought they could be the ones to turn him into a player.

I'm not sure he's ever had a decent run of performances, just the odd eye catching solo goal that's made him look like a raw player who could be a gem

Don't think it'll ever materialise, just too dumb sadly
Happy Clapper
15:41, Wed 10 Jan
tebily
110sausages
Formerly Deckchair
As soon as someone says 'lazy', or simply 'shit', they've lost the argument.

Longelo has a languid style, which can look like he perhaps isn't running as fast as others. Interested to hear your thoughts on Aiwu if you think Longelo is lazy, considering some of the goals we've conceded and his position, and sprint to get back...

Yep, totally agree with this. I like him, he is still young and learning and hopefully if Cole stays (i don't care either way btw), Longelo will improve

Can we bin off this idea that a player will be improved by a coach who played directly in their position? None of the forwards improved under Rooney and I wouldn't have expected it to work like that anyway. By all accounts Cole isn't a defensive coach. Similarly with O'Shea, I don't think he's gonna improve any of our CBs or RBs.

I also think Longelo is crap, he's 23 so not even that young really, he's never impressed me and is undoubtedly a defensive liability. I can't see him sticking around if we're gonna get to being a good side.

I'll be honest and say that is one of the strangest things I've heard on here and that's saying something!

You are actually saying that one of Englands best ever left backs cannot offer anything to a younger left back to help him improve?

That's wild. In every single walk of life, younger, inexperienced people should and will ALWAYS learn from someone who has done their job before them, especially if they were one of the best in the country.

When i was first in a sales job, i aligned myself with our best salesman, who was 20 years older than me and had been there and done it. I learnt off him. Hugely. That's how life goes
16:12, Wed 10 Jan
I don’t think it can be true either. It’s also true that players take time to mature sometimes. However, he doesn’t look like a natural defender, poor at sensing danger and covering it, and often seems to have a very sketchy idea of where the man he is supposed to be marking is. Maybe in a tighter formation he would be better but he’s a defensive risk.
16:21, Wed 10 Jan
Eating too many of Mckeenas Pies... shes never off tik tok feeding him
16:25, Wed 10 Jan
Bluemarc81
That’s my feeling although not massively confident it will change

Quokkasskip
Feel he needs a simple game plan… and he is a right winger not a centre forward

Hopefully Tony can get a tune out of him

He plays like a player that doesn't get his head up. But if you actually watch him, his head is up. I just think his decision making is awful and I'm not sure that's something you can coach out of him at his age. We'll see I suppose.
16:31, Wed 10 Jan
I'm not saying that Cole CANNOT offer anything to Longelo, but I don't think that that is what Cole has been brought in to do, and I don't think Longelo will ever be a good championship left back, Cole-coached or otherwise. I've read from various better-informed people than I that he's previously been employed as a set-pieces coach anyway, not as a defensive coach.

The main point though is that there's bags of evidence that there's basically no guarantee an elite player, turned manager, will be an effective coach to current players. It just doesn't play out as you'd expect in reality. There are physical and technical disparities between coaches and players that in some cases cannot be bridged.

Your experience in the corporate world does not correlate to what might happen on a football pitch, unfortunately.
18:25, Wed 10 Jan
tebily
I'm not saying that Cole CANNOT offer anything to Longelo, but I don't think that that is what Cole has been brought in to do, and I don't think Longelo will ever be a good championship left back, Cole-coached or otherwise. I've read from various better-informed people than I that he's previously been employed as a set-pieces coach anyway, not as a defensive coach.

The main point though is that there's bags of evidence that there's basically no guarantee an elite player, turned manager, will be an effective coach to current players. It just doesn't play out as you'd expect in reality. There are physical and technical disparities between coaches and players that in some cases cannot be bridged.

Your experience in the corporate world does not correlate to what might happen on a football pitch, unfortunately.

My entire post is about one of Englands greatest left backs offering advice to a younger left back.

I don't care what coach he is, do you really believe that even if he is 'set piece' coach that means he is never going to give Longelo advice, even if he asks for it?

And my corporate comment does correlate IMO - you learn from the best. Even professional sports people want to play against the best - i wonder why that is??

But then you actually do agree with me because of the first 10 words in your quoted post.
20:31, Wed 10 Jan
He traps it further than l can kick it.
20:42, Wed 10 Jan
I think Burke is OK. He is what he is, a big fast strong bloke who's not very good with the ball. That's what he's been his entire career. Why would he be any different now?

Useful as a sub in certain games. Glad we've got him as a short term option.

And of course Cole can teach Longello a thing or two about being an attacking left back. Being a world class player doesn't make you a world class coach, but it doesn't hurt either.

Lotta nonsense in this thread.
21:36, Wed 10 Jan
I have no idea why, but i can't believe he's only 26. I just always thought he was early 30s