11:44, Thu 11 Jan
Dan
Dan
£20 is just an unrealistic amount though. I doubt you'll get a ticket for any club in the top 4 divisions for £20 these days.

Looked at a few clubs just now, Sutton United are bottom of League Two and to see them play Harrogate on a Tuesday night at the end of the month is £21 for standing and £25 for seating.

Newport County vs Swindon tickets range from £21 to £31 for seating.

Grimsby charge £22-24.

We cannot expect to progress as a club by charging less than League Two/National League sides charge. Yes some of the current ticket prices are too steep but you've also got to be realistic. The days of £20 tickets in the Championship, on the whole, went a long time ago.

Sorry just to be clear, I meant as an example that even if tickets were £20 on matchdays you would still get value for the ST (as it would work out to £460 which is higher than ST prices this year). I wasn't suggesting the club actually drop it down to £20, I know that's not going to happen.

Sheep2
I don't think it does make sense.

If a season ticket in the upper Tilton will cost £400 why would the club opt to sell tickets in the Lower section to people for £350?
You have to sell 8 tickets for every 7 just to break even. That means nearly 3,000 extra people just to not lose money.

Even if we do well in the Championship our average crowd is not that likely to exceed 23,000 while it is about 20,000 at the moment.

To an extent we need to rinse existing supporters as much as possible without losing them and put on some offers to attract casual fans.
Anything that reduces the cost to the existing lunatics seems a bit daft.

I agree, financially they will be worse off if they drop ticket prices of course. But if they want atmosphere and they want those seats filled, you either have to be competing for promotion or you have to entice fans in other ways. They've tried making it more of a full matchday experience, and while I'm sure there's more of that to come, it's not getting that 23-25k crowd. The fireworks, DJs, street food, will all be an expense that the club are handling to try and entice fans back, however, it's currently just making the experience better for those who already go. But football is habitual - people need to get into the habit of coming down and then they are more likely to consider season tickets. What is enticing people to come at the minute? You simply can't expect decent crowds if you're not competing at the top end of the championship or in the premier league.

I also believe the more fans we have in the more likely we are to have a good atmosphere, and I will die on the hill that we are more likely to win games with a good home atmosphere.
12:22, Thu 11 Jan
If we play like we did v Bristol City and Stoke it won't attract fans and the atmosphere will be terrible regardless of the price and the fireworks.
12:31, Thu 11 Jan
B_C_F_C
Le Mod
Yeah I reckon they should offer cheaper season tickets for the Lower Kop

They could also do a Tilton Safe Standing season ticket to get that pretty full too, perhaps leaving a certain % of spots free for match to match attendees.

I'm hoping we can finish the season strongly, I'm pretty confident we will have a big transfer window, with reasonable pricing this could all combine to produce a really decent STH number, which would push our average towards the 23-25k mark

Don't they do this now?

I mean some kind of special ticket, not sure if one exists now, dunno. I mean make it a bit cheaper and market it as the safe standing season ticket
Happy Clapper
12:54, Thu 11 Jan
Wrong or right I think their thought process this season was that all the feedback they must have had in the purchase process about the fans hating the BSHL regime, protesting, half the ground being closed etc was that if we fix the ground, show them our vision *whispers the project* and we do all right on the pitch that the fans that have been staying away because of the Ownership or the ground closure issues would just come back regardless and be happy to pay the pricing. And that did appear to be the case with Leeds, Plymouth and West Brom all selling out at home @ £35, £27.50 & £30.00 for the Tilton when the feel good factor was around.

I'm not slamming anyone for not being able to afford not just Blues but the game of Football in general, but I do think Blues fans use pricing as a general excuse to not attend. I had 2 free tickets for Hull and also the offer of a free lift last weekend as I was ill and I couldn't give them away with a weeks notice. I've offered my ST to people when I've been on holiday or working away and very rarely get takers for it. Factor then the pricing for Hull (which imo is reasonable) at £15 to effectively watch 2 championship teams and with all the arguments of pricing at £15 surely it means we should be heading for a bumper crowd... instead we'll get about 12,000 similar to the Cardiff Carabao game earlier on in the season.

Lets then not forget that there's all the grass roots schemes for buying reduced tickets if you buy 2 adults and 2 kids which are readily available. Another option for reduced pricing that just doesn't get used.
Factor then the pricing for Hull (which imo is reasonable) at £15 to effectively watch 2 championship teams and with all the arguments of pricing at £15 surely it means we should be heading for a bumper crowd... instead we'll get about 12,000 similar to the Cardiff Carabao game earlier on in the season..

...cup game's a bit different though, hardly a glamour tie and only 2 stands open, never going to be a bumper crowd 😤
13:39, Thu 11 Jan
tebily
.......... as they probably didn't expect fans to stay away as they have done.

People are habitual, between Covid, half the ground being closed and the football being terrible - many will have found different things to do on Saturdays which are their new habit.
The club probably need to take the hit on providing cheap ST's for a couple of years (with significant local marketing) and then steadily increase the price after...
14:43, Thu 11 Jan
Sheep2
If we play like we did v Bristol City and Stoke it won't attract fans and the atmosphere will be terrible regardless of the price and the fireworks.

You're not wrong either, but that's why they sacked the manager. It's multi-faceted, and winning football games is the absolute key. But that doesn't mean they can't look at other ways of enticing fans back.

But I get that there's a number of fans who use excuses and wouldn't come even if it was free. It's up to the club to find a way to try and get these coming semi-regularly in the hope that a % of them become ST holders eventually. Charging £40 a ticket isn't a good start.