23:13, Wed 10 Jan
Indeed mate, I’m just far too humble to self promote 😃
Buy my novel (if you want to of course), The Loneliness That Others Call Freedom by Steven Vaughan. Available in both Kindle and paperback format.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

@stevanderman
00:16, Thu 11 Jan
'Every man for Himself and God Against All' by Werner Herzog.

'Columbine' by Dave Cullen.

Both are very well written non-fiction books with a story which at times seems like it must be fiction.
01:51, Thu 11 Jan
If you enjoyed Station Eleven (which is fantastic), Glass Hotel and Sea of Tranquility by the same author are also amazing. They fit the Vonnegut mould for me, of kinda-sci-fi but more character focused.
05:57, Thu 11 Jan
Favourites reads in 2023:

Fatherland - Robert Harris
The Force - Don Winslow
Tomorrow and Tomorow and Tomorrow - Gabrielle Zevin
All the light we cannot see - Anthony Doerr
C'est la vie
06:47, Thu 11 Jan
Have you read Munich by Robert Harris? That was great too.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
06:48, Thu 11 Jan
Mithrandir
Favourites reads in 2023:

Fatherland - Robert Harris
The Force - Don Winslow
Tomorrow and Tomorow and Tomorrow - Gabrielle Zevin
All the light we cannot see - Anthony Doerr

Fatherland is a great book, one of my favourites
06:59, Thu 11 Jan
The three best books I read in 2023 -

"Riddley Walker" - Russell Hoban. 1980 Booker Nominee, post-nuclear dystopia novel, written in a mix of Middle English and nascent techspeak - fun if you like that sort of thing, but also incredibly moving.

"Kalki" - Gore Vidal. 70s new Messiah story. Peculiarly, Mick Jagger bought the film rights - make of that what you will.

Sorry it's music, but the John Cooper Clarke autobiography is hilarious and a brilliant portrait of growing up in 60s and 70s Manchester.
07:39, Thu 11 Jan
"Faster than a cannonball - 1995 and all that"

A book on early mid 90s Britain. Taking about music, politics, art, media, newspapers and hooked around Britpop artists and music.

Really good snapshot of the end of the Conservative govt, rise of new Labour and the culture of the time.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
Nikola Zigic
I have Holly ready to read, was a bit sceptical as I wasn't massively keen on the Mr Mercedes series.

I like stephen king but not for the horror - I find the endings are always disappointing.
I like the way he paints a picture of middle America now and back then. I also like there is a continuation of characters and places.
Holly is good so far, I'm halfway through, but a little bit OTT on the anti Trump stuff.

Another recommended book is "Butch Wilkins and the sundance kid". Depending on your age it's a great snapshot of 80s sport through a kid watching it on the TV.