14:39, Wed 10 Jan
El Mayor
Congo Diary - Che Guevara
The Wonga Coup - Adam Roberts

I've been reading about war and stuff in Africa, these were decent.

If you're into African political stuff, I'd highly recommend all of Michaela Wrong's books, especially "In the footsteps of Mr Kutz". She's superb.
14:39, Wed 10 Jan
Trust - Hernan Diaz
This Other Eden - Paul Harding
To Paradise - Hanya Yanagihara

All quite solid literary fiction, but excellent novels.
14:45, Wed 10 Jan
Cheers - you recommended Feast of the Goat which I loved. Also Consider The Lobster, which I really liked too.
Cheers!
👍
14:50, Wed 10 Jan
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
El Mayor
Congo Diary - Che Guevara
The Wonga Coup - Adam Roberts

I've been reading about war and stuff in Africa, these were decent.

If you're into African political stuff, I'd highly recommend all of Michaela Wrong's books, especially "In the footsteps of Mr Kutz". She's superb.

I'll add them to my list. I'm just trying to educate myself a bit at the moment
14:51, Wed 10 Jan
Rags
Right, I've run out of unread books so I need to stock up. Had some excellent recommendations last time, of which these were the absolute bees knees:

Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead
Station 11 - Emily St John Mandel
Say Nothing - Patrick Radden Keefe
East West Street - Philippe Sands
Spy & The Traitor - Ben McIntyre
Feast Of The Goat - Mario Vargas Llosa

Anyone with any recommendations - either of similar ilk or vastly different - please let me know. All I would ask is that I'm not overly interested in Sports or Music books at the minute as I have read a shed load of them over the last few years, unless it's a belter/unsung book which I should try/may have missed.

Cheers for any (moderately sensible) replies.

Scepticism Inc. ... Bo Fowler

[www.goodreads.com] (every single review is positive - but don't read too many - there are some spoilers in there)

My second favourite book of all time - loved by those who have read it, looks of puzzlement from those who haven't when you talk about it

I'm gonna have to read this Rags, thanks for the tip
Dan
14:53, Wed 10 Jan
number8
Right, I've run out of unread books so I need to stock up. Had some excellent recommendations last time, of which these were the absolute bees knees:

Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead
Station 11 - Emily St John Mandel
Say Nothing - Patrick Radden Keefe
East West Street - Philippe Sands
Spy & The Traitor - Ben McIntyre
Feast Of The Goat - Mario Vargas Llosa

Anyone with any recommendations - either of similar ilk or vastly different - please let me know. All I would ask is that I'm not overly interested in Sports or Music books at the minute as I have read a shed load of them over the last few years, unless it's a belter/unsung book which I should try/may have missed.

Cheers for any (moderately sensible) replies.

In Say Nothing, Patrick Radden Keefe often references the Boston College interviews that various people involved in the Troubles gave. Voices from the Grave is written using the interviews given by two of them, one from each side of the divide. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, interesting read. You can have it once I'm done if you want.

[www.amazon.co.uk]
Dan
14:54, Wed 10 Jan
Think I recommended the Ben Macintyre book, Agent Zig Zag is another one written by him that's definitely worth reading if you haven't already.
14:54, Wed 10 Jan
Dan
Cheers mate, yeah let me know!
14:56, Wed 10 Jan
Fly Fishing - J R Hartley
14:59, Wed 10 Jan
Sven Hassel, O.G.P.U. Prison
15:05, Wed 10 Jan
Really enjoyed "Pereira Maintains" by Antonio Tabbhuchi - journalist in fascist Portugal in the 30s gets caught up in intrigue.
15:27, Wed 10 Jan
Been really trying to improve the quality of what I read over the last couple of years.

My wife and I have both had this 'Reading Gift Subscription' thing from a place called Mr B's Bookstore in Bath. You can do it online.

You fill in a pretty weighty questionnaire or have a phone consultation and they send you a mystery book each month based on your tastes and profile.

Nice little bonus is that it comes wrapped in brown paper, big red wax seal and a little card telling you why it's a good match. I loved it and 95% of what they sent me was bang on.

Works as a really nice Christmas present. You can pay for 6 or 12 months.

Anyway, my recommendations based on the past year:

Little Eyes
Shuggie Bain
A Little Life
House of the spirits
The Devil All The Time
Satsuma Complex (proper easy going fun)

I'm currently working my way through the Slow Horses series, on book 6. They're excellent.

I've also recently read the first three Tom Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith, they were great. Really like the setting too.

I have Spy and the Traitor on my shelf ready to go after so many good recommendations.

Count of Montechristo is next up I think, wish me luck 😬
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
15:30, Wed 10 Jan
Cheers

What's your favourite book?

Ringolevio by Emmett Grogan - but i admit it's slightly dated now and not as relevant as when i read it when i was 17