13:19, Sat 13 Jan
I did think this yesterday, that it might be easier from development and regulatory perspective to just lease it, although that comes with its own risks in the future
13:19, Sat 13 Jan
As things stand, I’d have thought the Wheels site would be arguably more valuable to Blues than to others. There are plenty of better locations for warehouses but are there better locations for our club to build a stadium? Not so sure….

If Wagner wants it, I can’t see many others outbidding him. It may end up costing him a lot more than he’d originally planned but it’s not like they’ve skint. If this is a long-term project and a new stadium with the ability to host events etc is a key pillar of that project, I don’t see it stopping him.

Would be warehouse owners want cheap land and good motorway access.

They won’t outbid Blues for a bit of land which is far away from the M6 through very crowded neighbourhoods and ring roads.

Couldn't have put it better myself
13:20, Sat 13 Jan
I did think this yesterday, that it might be easier from development and regulatory perspective to just lease it, although that comes with its own risks in the future

They could also lease it to villa
13:24, Sat 13 Jan
Thongs

They could also lease it to villa

Could be long term replacement for Arrow Valley social club
13:32, Sat 13 Jan
Typhoontechie

Not sure it would suit the aims of the owners, unless it is the long term lease of the majority of the site.

The model now is to control a large site and maximise all year around revenue, not just match days. The FT and Guardian have both had articles recently about the direction in the US and top tier football in Europe.

[www.ft.com]

[www.theguardian.com]
13:44, Sat 13 Jan
Rags, thanks for the v detailed info. Fascinating and informative.

When you say you have (quite rightly) agreed not to post such and such detail about upcoming meetings etc, I am just intrigued how you have access to all this info.

"I am just intrigued how you have access to all this info"

Obviously i would be stupid to state that publicly ... but NONE of my info comes from BCFC .. and not all of it comes from one source.
13:46, Sat 13 Jan
At a guess I reckon you or so eone you know very well works for one of BCCs commercial partners.

Not expecting an answer BTW!
13:47, Sat 13 Jan
At a guess I reckon you or so eone you know very well works for one of BCCs commercial partners.

Not expecting an answer BTW!

See above

"NONE of my info comes from BCFC .. and not all of it comes from one source"
13:52, Sat 13 Jan
Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Some of the detail goes over my head, but having the general overview is great. Don’t get yourself in bother by sharing this info, though.
13:57, Sat 13 Jan
Rags
As things stand, I’d have thought the Wheels site would be arguably more valuable to Blues than to others. There are plenty of better locations for warehouses but are there better locations for our club to build a stadium? Not so sure….

If Wagner wants it, I can’t see many others outbidding him. It may end up costing him a lot more than he’d originally planned but it’s not like they’ve skint. If this is a long-term project and a new stadium with the ability to host events etc is a key pillar of that project, I don’t see it stopping him.

"As things stand, I’d have thought the Wheels site would be arguably more valuable to Blues than to others. "

Look at the person behind Oak View Group - Tim Leiweke ... then look at the other person behind/alongside him ...... Philip Anschutz. When you look at Anschutz you are looking at SERIOUS amounts of money.

Partnering with Tim Leiweke / Philip Anschutz - both of whom are serious stadium complex builders is better than them eyeing up the site without us by their side.

Wonder if they are also invested in the project through Knighthead.
Gazball?
14:11, Sat 13 Jan
Rags

"As things stand, I’d have thought the Wheels site would be arguably more valuable to Blues than to others. "

Look at the person behind Oak View Group - Tim Leiweke ... then look at the other person behind/alongside him ...... Philip Anschutz. When you look at Anschutz you are looking at SERIOUS amounts of money.

Partnering with Tim Leiweke / Philip Anschutz - both of whom are serious stadium complex builders is better than them eyeing up the site without us by their side.

Wonder if they are also invested in the project through Knighthead.

I honestly don't know - but it may be even more likely that a new third company emerges with both Oak View and Knighthead as equal partners to build, run and organise the Stadium side

That would be something that came out of BCFC - and i have no contacts there .... Mayor is more your man for that.

I will only ever know about buildings, drains, trenches, sewers, property
18:35, Sat 13 Jan
Rags

Here's something i don't know the answer to - but can't be discounted. In fact may be even more likely

Look at our new partners announced yesterday. Look at the person behind Oak View Group - Tim Leiweke ... then look at the other person behind/alongside him ...... Philip Anschutz. When you look at Anschutz you are looking at SERIOUS amounts of money.

It is entirely possible that someone else may build the stadium complex and lease it to Blues. After all, we only really need it a max of 25 days out of 365.

From the paywall free version of the Times article linked yesterday, Leiweke and Anschutz are no longer on good terms.

[archive.ph]

Excerpt below.

Leiweke was the face of AEG as Anschutz, a secretive billionaire who made his money from oil, railroads and property, remained in the shadows. So high was his profile that downtown LA was referred to as “Leiweke country”. But he left under a cloud in 2013 after the company failed to sell itself. “I spent almost 20 years running and building AEG, but it’s Mr Anschutz’s company,” he recalls. “We didn’t part well, and I still wish we could have parted better. But that’s as much his decision as mine.”
18:56, Sat 13 Jan
Legend Rags.

What an exciting time to be Blues. I’m convinced we end up at Wheels in the best stadium in the UK.
19:45, Sat 13 Jan
Legend Rags.

What an exciting time to be Blues. I’m convinced we end up at Wheels in the best stadium in the UK.

"in the best stadium in the UK"

You can hope that all you like - and i admire your ambition - but i doubt we will be matching Spurs stadium ... they spent £1.2 billion building that.
21:47, Sat 13 Jan
Rags
<<< added as an afterthought >>>

Andy Street is massively backing Blues to move to the Wheels site

Any ideas of BCC being anti-Blues are very wide of the mark - there are a lot more Blues fans in positions of power and influence at BCC than there than Villa fans. (Lot of Baggies fans mind)

Tom Wagner is widely seen by most there as "bloody brilliant" but that is tempered by a bit of a giggle and remarks such as "if he pulls off just 10% of the effect he thinks all this will have on the City of Birmingham then it will be excellent - but BCC have current revenue of about £3,764 million - Blues £18 million "
But the Vile owners have more capital.