13:11, Mon 15 Jan
Agreed. Mowbray was saying after the game that he wanted Buchanan moving forwards with the ball. He wasn't slating him.

Rooney seemed to pretty much just throw the players under the bus.
13:15, Mon 15 Jan
Or Rooney did it as a collective and Tony has singled out individuals.
13:25, Mon 15 Jan
Rooney did both from memory, but it doesn’t matter now as he’s not our manager anymore.
13:27, Mon 15 Jan
If you look back at some of Rooney's interviews, everything is always really generic. "We have to be better." "I want us to be more brave." "We have to do the basics right." "We have to stop conceding poor goals." None of that really means anything.

Mowbray is singling out specific things that he wants individuals to do differently. He's not saying they're shit - he's saying they're doing X but he wants them to do Y instead. If you're Buchanan, instead of going into the next game trying to be "more brave", you're going into it knowing you're expected to drive forward with the ball more often. Easily done. If you're Dembele, you need to get back more to help your team without the ball - fine.
13:31, Mon 15 Jan
Hagley Blue
Fat Buddha CBE
Called out the left back after the game too, and complained at the piss poor quality of the finishing.

Which is OK by me.

People didn't like it when Rooney did it though did they.

Rooney threw the players under the bus to hide from his own inadequacies. He attacked their fitness, their ability, their effort, their commitment. Fans - especially match going fans - saw right through his excuse making and blame casting and ultimately cost him his job.

Most important thing for any manager is results, but Mowbray also starts with much more goodwill than Rooney, partly based on circumstances of his appointment, but also due to the fact he hasn’t failed in every job he’s been in
13:47, Mon 15 Jan
Fat Buddha CBE
Called out the left back after the game too, and complained at the piss poor quality of the finishing.

Which is OK by me.

Sounds to me like it’s LONGELO TIME

13:50, Mon 15 Jan
Iain_Gavin
Hagley Blue
Fat Buddha CBE

Which is OK by me.

Rooney threw the players under the bus to hide from his own inadequacies. He attacked their fitness, their ability, their effort, their commitment. Fans - especially match going fans - saw right through his excuse making and blame casting and ultimately cost him his job.

Most important thing for any manager is results, but Mowbray also starts with much more goodwill than Rooney, partly based on circumstances of his appointment, but also due to the fact he hasn’t failed in every job he’s been in

Gosh, wasn’t expecting this
14:03, Mon 15 Jan
Hagley Blue
Fat Buddha CBE

Which is OK by me.

As others have said the way Mowbray has done it is quite different, he has been very specific in what he is calling out and has combined it with positive comments.
14:33, Mon 15 Jan
I would almost guarantee that if we lose the next 3 games fans would interpret this completely differently.
Tam
14:37, Mon 15 Jan
newblue
I would almost guarantee that if we lose the next 3 games fans would interpret this completely differently.

No doubt about that, but hopefully the approach will set the team down the path of knowing what they're doing and getting results.
Make Blues Great Again
14:51, Mon 15 Jan
Tam
I also don't think it's any coincidence he singled out Buchanan and Dembele specifically, they are 2 of the few players who started on Saturday that are talented enough to be with us for the longer term.

The quicker he can instil his methods in to them and get them to buy in the better.

As mentioned by others the criticism is constructive and followed by a clear solution, mixed with some praise. Completely different to WR's 'feedback' which was vague, cliché and negative imo.
Very good point 👍
Tony Fantastico
14:55, Mon 15 Jan
I also don't think it's any coincidence he singled out Buchanan and Dembele specifically, they are 2 of the few players who started on Saturday that are talented enough to be with us for the longer term.

The quicker he can instil his methods in to them and get them to buy in the better.

As mentioned by others the criticism is constructive and followed by a clear solution, mixed with some praise. Completely different to WR's 'feedback' which was vague, cliché and negative imo.

Vague to the media but targeted in private. As it should be. So who did it correctly? I’m confused now.
14:59, Mon 15 Jan
Rooney definitely did it correctly. The way the players took on board all of his criticism to turn results round was amazing 👍
15:04, Mon 15 Jan
You're starting to sound like people who can't get over Rowett, stop it!