17:49, Thu 25 Jan
If you can for the times and dates you want then fly to City NOT International👍🏻
18:31, Thu 25 Jan
I grew up in Belfast, born in 1991 so I was still a kid when the Good Friday Agreement was signed.

I didn't live through the worst of it, but I remember bombings and bomb scares being a way of life as a kid, as were British soldiers walking the streets with rifles. My parents have much scarier stories to share on what it was like living there during the 70s and 80s.

Belfast still has its problems. We have never been able to gain closure over the conflict as the powers that be have buried the truth, and that's the case on all sides. But I won't get into that. The point I wanted to make is that save for a small subsection of Northern Irish society, nobody gives a shit about where you're from. We're proud of our reputation as a friendly, welcoming people and we like to show that side to people who come to visit, to show that the country isn't the rioting, petrol bombs, burnt out buses, bonfires and marches that so often seem to dominate the discourse about Northern Ireland.

As a Belfastard it's been nice to read all the glowing reviews and great comments about my home city from everyone on here. To the OP I think most things have been covered already in the suggestions. I'll second that St George's Market is definitely worth a visit, it won UK's Best Large Indoor Market last year.

The best pint of Guinness is to be found in Kelly's Cellars. Other good old fashioned pubs are White's Tavern, McHugh's, Maddens and the Sunflower. Deer's Head is a newish Microbrewery serving some nice beers brewed on site. The Woodworkers is part of the Lavery's complex and would be Belfast's best craft beer bar. But there are about 6 bars throughout Laverys, it's huge.

If you like whiskey then you'll want to visit the Duke of York pub in Cathedral Quarter, it was one half of the inspiration behind the famous Dead Rabbit pub in NYC voted the world's best pub, the other half being the Merchant Hotel in Belfast where the Dead Rabbit founders used to work. Around the corner from Duke of York you'll find The Friend at Hand whiskey shop and tasting room.

While on the subject of whiskey, somebody earlier mentioned the Crumlin Road Gaol tour, part of the Gaol is being restored and turned into a whiskey distillery offering tours, but I don't believe this is open yet.

One distillery which is now open and offering tours is Titanic Distillers which opened a brand new distillery in the old Titanic pump house last year, just a short walk from the Titanic museum and visitor centre.

You can't really go wrong for food. One benefit of the 30 year conflict is that Belfast avoided a lot of the pub and food chains that fill every city centre in England, there are a lot more independent food places in Belfast as a result. Mourne Seafood beside Kelly's Cellars is famous. John Long's is a slight walk away from the busiest part of the city centre but it is famous for its fish and chips. There are plenty of nice places to eat around Cathedral Quarter and St Anne's Square.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer.
18:39, Thu 25 Jan
Tilton Rifle
I read that as shoplifting gang 🤣

Great minds think alike or is it old eyes read what they think they see
18:40, Thu 25 Jan
Oboe
Hello Jack, thanks for the detailed insight, it sounds as though you come from there.

I am planning on going soon for the first time since 1987, when i went for a NI v England game, very moody back then and to see it in the moment was surreal, i've got mamy stories to tell from those 2 days.

What would it be like for an Englishman like me to visit Felons on Falls rd, just for a drink and see the history of the place etc...?

Hi Oboe, it would be no issue at all. It's an Irish pub in an Irish part of the city. Treat it as such and you'll be absolutely fine. I'm from North Belfast myself but my family are originally from West Belfast, and I still have family there.
18:40, Thu 25 Jan
There's also a Blues programme framed and on the wall in the Duke of York.
19:38, Thu 25 Jan
Victoria Barracks - and yourself?
20:31, Thu 25 Jan
Thanks comanche, i was being playfully sarcastic to Jack, but me being brought up in the time of the Troubles i have an avid interest in it, although i've read almost everything about it from both sides. Lots of incidents i could highlight from that day in February '87, too many to mention here.
What area you from mate, not the boxer Frampton's neck of the woods ae you?
20:33, Thu 25 Jan
Ok Jack, i'll let you know how i get on, thanks for the insight.
21:55, Thu 25 Jan
My mom was born in Belfast and remember visiting my gran a few times back in the late 70's. Particularly the outside loo! And I have lots of family dotted around the towns outside Belfast.

My gran's place was just down the road from the steel 'peace wall' and had some crazy adventures there as a kid. Vividly remember one night a bomb going off about 100 yds down the road. As well as catching a bus into Belfast city centre, having to get off near the centre, walk through a security turnstile, and back on the bus into town. Think a part of my soul is in Northern Ireland and always thought I would end up getting a place there. Probably just the magic of holidaying there as a kid.

Definitely fly into the City airport. Would say most of the recommended places to visit have been covered and the people are amazing. Depending on when it is you are going and how long for, I would recommend jumping on the train down to Bangor. Lovely little seaside town with plenty of pubs, just 30 mins away.

Belfast is a place you will want to return to.
00:44, Fri 26 Jan
Frampton is from Tiger's Bay in North Belfast, I'm from Newtownabbey, a little further north.

I went to the same school as Martin O'Neill, although he was about 40 years before me.
08:42, Fri 26 Jan
If touring, is it better to fly in and hire a car, or take one over on the ferry?
10:01, Fri 26 Jan
It's cheaper to hire. Taking your car on the ferry can be expensive.