09:53, Mon 29 Jan
Saw a lot of chat on social media yesterday - some of it tongue-in-cheek - about how nobody does it better when it comes to aggro and Blues/villa/Wolves/WBA games, and it seems to be true. Even Sunderland-Newcastle proved to be more bark than bite.

Just interested in people’s theories, half-baked or otherwise, as to why the hatred seems more vicious here than other parts of the country. I’m sure people will point at other fierce derbies, but to my mind, none have spilled over in the same way they have here.

Go go go.
10:01, Mon 29 Jan
WMP antagonising everyone throughout
10:03, Mon 29 Jan
I'd suggest ours differs to other city derbies for a few reasons.

Blues have the gallows humour, underdog spirit and real Brummies identity (plus long standing hooligan reputation).

Vile have their historic trophy wins, Premier League arrogance/self entitlement, out of town glory hunters (plus racist hooligan minority).
10:04, Mon 29 Jan
Think it builds it up a bit more when there'sbeen a long gap between any derby has happened.
If the fixture happens reguarly it can become a little sanitised.
10:06, Mon 29 Jan
No other area has the villa and they smell of wee
10:18, Mon 29 Jan
WMP antagonising everyone throughout

This plays a big part. They are provocative.

Not excusing some of the behaviour of the fans but some of us have seen first hand, wmp either pushing fans over from behind, coshing them over the head and arms If they are in a surge forward.
10:19, Mon 29 Jan
Yeah, I wasn't being flippant. They are tosspots who try to stoke tensions, especially for the big occasion. I hate them.
10:20, Mon 29 Jan
I think the hatred towards vile is greater than in any other rivalry because their fans are so arrogant, cocky, conceited, condescending, snide, over-confident, deluded, entitled, obsessed, unoriginal and were so obviously bullied at school.
10:25, Mon 29 Jan
Squatnose
I think the hatred towards vile is greater than in any other rivalry because their fans are so arrogant, cocky, conceited, condescending, snide, over-confident, deluded, entitled, obsessed, unoriginal and were so obviously bullied at school.

But actually it's their vile smell that's most offensive
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
mad
10:31, Mon 29 Jan
Brum being the youngest city in Europe possibly a factor?
Aside from Vile the other three clubs were all backwater doldrums status when the Premier League started so the 1980's type of fanbase became more embedded in the West Midlands
That and the satellite towns around the city all being quite territorial and also quite antagonistic towards the main city in the region, an attitude you don't really get in other regions
All 4 clubs probably have fewer middle class fans as a % of their overall fanbase compared to clubs in the other big cities

The non-league derbies in the area are often worse

And yes WMP will be a major factor, recall the game when Kevin Drinkell won it with the diving header. The 9,000 Blues at the Smethwick End were all to a man herded up the Brummie Road back into town. WMP maybe dropped a bollock yesterday?
10:34, Mon 29 Jan
Squatnose

Lad I’ve become really good mates with the last few years is a massive Citeh fan.
We’ve had this chat about clubs and fans, in his opinion and mine to some degree, our fanbases have tasted being in the dull drums a lot, not sure if it’s a mentality thing compared to say there rivals United or ours Villa, we’ve always been mostly behind them in terms of success, but there’s a modesty, a self mockery if you like of even when things are shit, we don’t take ourselves all that seriously, them lot, United, Liverpool, Arsenal have an inner arrogance that many football supporters including ourselves don’t posses and neither would most of us want it.

If and it’s a big if success ever came our way like a Citeh! I think like them we would enjoy every single second of it and not celebrate it in the way of said clubs, and that says a lot about our character than there’s.
And yes I do have a respect and liking for Man City and it’s supporters compared to the other big clubs, so perhaps I’m biased, but imo they are proper football fans for the most part.
10:46, Mon 29 Jan
Saw a lot of chat on social media yesterday - some of it tongue-in-cheek - about how nobody does it better when it comes to aggro and Blues/villa/Wolves/WBA games, and it seems to be true. Even Sunderland-Newcastle proved to be more bark than bite.

Just interested in people’s theories, half-baked or otherwise, as to why the hatred seems more vicious here than other parts of the country. I’m sure people will point at other fierce derbies, but to my mind, none have spilled over in the same way they have here.

Go go go.

I'll stick to Villa/Blues

It's not a difference in which team you support.

Everton/Liverpool for example is Liverpudlians who support differwet teams (in my opinion) but are basically the same sort of people

.. and i don't know how it is in schools these days, or "out there in the real world" but when i was growing up in the late 60s and through the 70s there was a massive difference between the types of people who supported Blues and those that supported Villa.

Most of the people i know who support Villa have no connection even with the city of Birmingham. They are shallow, uncaring, selfish, plastic people who you would never want to rely on in a crisis. They are untrustworthy and flaky - and it is these bad qualities which THEN led them to support Villa.

The aren't generally c@nts because they support Villa ... they are c@nts anyway and therefore would never dream of supporting a team (Blues) who have largely struggled and under-achieved just because Blues are the more authentic club.

On that basis, my dislike and rivalry with Villa fans extends far beyond football and isn't because of football. It is because of the type of people they are, and by THAT nature they usually happen to be Villa fans.

95% are complete c@nts
10:47, Mon 29 Jan
And thus, unemployable
10:47, Mon 29 Jan
Man U v Liverpool is full of tourists. Midlands derbies are not.
10:48, Mon 29 Jan

Absolutely - see my point above ... they are all those things AND support Villa - they aren't those things BECAUSE they support Villa