11:22, Mon 29 Jan
Having spent a very enjoyable weekend in Limerick ( special mention to the lovely locals who make you so welcome ) I was either in holiday mode or it’s a psychological thing or the Guinness is that much better

I think maybe overall every pub including Shannon airport is consistently good?, over here I would give special mention to the Fountain and a couple of others in digbeth but on the whole not anywhere near
11:25, Mon 29 Jan
Totally agree. On a trip to Dublin and the factory tour - it was like a different drink, same in the bars in town, also on a trip to Cork, the Beamish there was also on a different level - maybe it's the Irish water?
Up the feckin Blues
11:26, Mon 29 Jan
Great drink but should be separate queue, takes as long as a cocktail
Heard a few old boys saying ' Guinness doesn't travel'
Not sure if that is true or just a Guinness gimmicks\myth?

Is Guinness in Britain actually brewed here? EG In Burton ?
Does any one know?
Bordesley not Small Heath

Is Guinness in Britain actually brewed here? EG In Burton ?
Does any one know?

"The Guinness brewery in Park Royal, London, closed in 2005. The production of all Guinness sold in the UK and Ireland was moved to St. James's Gate Brewery, Dublin."
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
11:36, Mon 29 Jan
Think this applies for most local brewed beers
It's all brewed at St James' Gate.
There used to be a Guinness brewery at Park Royal, but it closed about 20 years ago

The biggest difference is the volumes sold. I think it's generally fresher in Ireland as it doesn't sit in the kegs for as long.
Apart from that there really shouldn't be any difference.
Bordesley not Small Heath

[www.guinness-storehouse.com]
11:41, Mon 29 Jan
There are a number of factors at play. Mainly, if the AG is not up to scratch, people won't buy it over here and will go somewhere where it's of the right quality. Pubs gain and lose customers based on the quality of the porter.

And the price. Keeping it at €5 here in rural Ireland has been a priority for many publicans while the lagers go up to 5.50 or 6. I overhear many bar conversations about the price of the porter at this pub and that pub.

The right quality is down to the right temperature, clean pipes and the quality and timing of the pour. Pubs and landlords are judged on it.

In short, there are many factors at play, but AG is more than a drink. It's ingrained in the culture. It's a way of life for regular drinkers. Part of the psyche. Just as Beamish or Murphys is around Cork.
11:41, Mon 29 Jan
It’s a myth. Good old Oirish marketing.
11:48, Mon 29 Jan
My tastebuds say not. I've never had a pint of Guinness or Beamish over here that's anywhere near as good as over there.
Up the feckin Blues
11:51, Mon 29 Jan
The Guinness at the Lamp Tavern in Digbeth is the best I've had in Brum.
11:55, Mon 29 Jan
Spot on. My mum had a separate cooler for her Guinness. The pipes were cleaned twice a week. First pour of the day went down the sink. Selling it on a regular basis really helps.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
11:59, Mon 29 Jan
Bluesince62
My tastebuds say not. I've never had a pint of Guinness or Beamish over here that's anywhere near as good as over there.

The senses are indeed subject to other forces like sentimentality.

I’m told for example the Guiness in the Irish Club in Newcastle is ‘just as good’ as back ‘home’. I have no reason to doubt them.

Irish beer is a bit like the beer you used to get in clubs.