12:08, Mon 29 Jan
Reedy1968
Having spent a very enjoyable weekend in Limerick ( special mention to the lovely locals who make you so welcome ) I was either in holiday mode or it’s a psychological thing or the Guinness is that much better

I think maybe overall every pub including Shannon airport is consistently good?, over here I would give special mention to the Fountain and a couple of others in digbeth but on the whole not anywhere near

Guinness is by far my favourite beer. I found the Irish Guinness to be consistently good. I found that there are plenty of places over here that are as good, but the difference is there's some where it's not.

So basically I don't think the Irish tasted better it's just more consistent.

But I might be wrong.
12:11, Mon 29 Jan
The main contributor to Guinness tasting good is how quickly it sells. The fresher it is the better it is. Doesn’t matter what country you’re in.
12:21, Mon 29 Jan
Pretty much true of most things.
12:29, Mon 29 Jan
Guinness isn't 'live' beer so it's treated in the same way as lager, I believe. So yes, if it's left for weeks, i'm sure that affects it, but not in the same way as cask beer.
12:37, Mon 29 Jan
The Guinness in DJ Quinns, Yardley Wood is the best pint I've tasted in Brum, Nortons and Hennesseys in Digbeth are good, the Lamp as well
Bordesley not Small Heath
Heard a few old boys saying ' Guinness doesn't travel'
Not sure if that is true or just a Guinness gimmicks\myth?

Is Guinness in Britain actually brewed here? EG In Burton ?
Does any one know?

Guiness brewed in London didn't travel well, but since they closed the brewery (its now only brewed in Dublin) its got a very long shelf life due to it being pasteurised. Guiness is now just a fashionable drink and not a real ale at all. Ice cold Guiness is for people who don't like Guiness, but like to be seen drinking it. The London brewery closed about 25 years ago.
12:42, Mon 29 Jan
Newheavenlyblues
Bordesley not Small Heath
Heard a few old boys saying ' Guinness doesn't travel'
Not sure if that is true or just a Guinness gimmicks\myth?

Is Guinness in Britain actually brewed here? EG In Burton ?
Does any one know?

Guiness brewed in London didn't travel well, but since they closed the brewery (its now only brewed in Dublin) its got a very long shelf life due to it being pasteurised. Guiness is now just a fashionable drink and not a real ale at all. Ice cold Guiness is for people who don't like Guiness, but like to be seen drinking it. The London brewery closed about 25 years ago.

I don’t get ‘ice cold’ beer at all. It’s foul.
12:46, Mon 29 Jan
Good post and I totally agree.

Guinness needs to be fresh as possible and therefore the best place to drink it is at source.

It really does taste like a different drink having one at St James gate, its beautiful with so much flavour!

Iv had it in places in brum where its like dirty dish water.

So its worth asking a regular what its like before ordering I find.
12:49, Mon 29 Jan
Work in the trade.. yep its about the freshness/turnover in the keg... if ever anyones been to cheltenham races
the guiness village its like a pint of cream..always top notch..
12:59, Mon 29 Jan
Bluesince62
Totally agree. On a trip to Dublin and the factory tour - it was like a different drink, same in the bars in town, also on a trip to Cork, the Beamish there was also on a different level - maybe it's the Irish water?

This. A lot of beers, including Guinness, are produced as a concentrate for export, and the final part of the production takes place locally using local water. They used to produce the export Guinness in both Dublin and Waterford, but I believe its all moved to Dublin now.
13:06, Mon 29 Jan
The acid test for me was on my first trip to Dublin I thought it tasted far better so on my return I had a pint here and yep it was far better in Ireland.

Now when I visit the emerald isle it is all that I drink until I have to go on the shorts due to not being able to handle the volume.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
13:27, Mon 29 Jan
Pirate Blue
Work in the trade.. yep its about the freshness/turnover in the keg... if ever anyones been to cheltenham races
the guiness village its like a pint of cream..always top notch..

Interesting, I used to go to Southwold for holidays and loved Adnams, but it never tasted the same in pubs elsewhere.
13:34, Mon 29 Jan
How often the line is poured is a big contributor.

The best Guinness I’ve had in Birmingham is at The Jewellers Arms in JQ. Trust me.
13:39, Mon 29 Jan
From Google

James' Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland in 1759. Today, Guinness is brewed in 49 countries around the world and sold in over 150. The brand owns breweries in five countries; the original Dublin outpost, one in Malaysia and three in Africa, specifically Nigeria, Ghana, and Cameroon

Why do they like it so much in Africa?
13:43, Mon 29 Jan
Tilton Rifle
The Guinness at the Lamp Tavern in Digbeth is the best I've had in Brum.

My son, an avid Guinness drinker and frequenter of all things Digbeth would agree.
However, contrary to many views expressed here, he's adamant that the Guinness at the Lamp, and the Spotted Dog, is far better than the stuff we tasted in Kinsale and Killarney last September.
Each to their own, I suppose.
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work together for the benefit of all".
J.M. Keynes.