13:55, Mon 29 Jan
A West Indian lady gave me a bottle of 'Guinness Punch', some years ago. She assured me it was very popular amongst the West Indian community. It was bloody vile. Guinness mixed with evaporated milk.
The explanation of how often it's poured and turnover of kegs does make sense. In Dublin and especially at the factory the pumps never stop, so yeah, it must have a lot to do with 'newness' of the Guinness.
Up the feckin Blues
Someone once told me that they use a slightly different gas mix (more nitrogen I think) in Ireland, which makes it smoother.

You’d imagine there’s not a lot you can do wrong with a pasteurised keg shipped from Dublin so other than how fresh it is and whether the lines are clean it must be mostly down to drinking it in its ‘natural habitat’.
14:53, Mon 29 Jan
Can't comment on why Guinness is so popular in Africa, but the Guinness brewed in Nigeria is superb. I was fortunate enough to be able to try some last year, very different to regular Guinness but definitely worth a try if you ever come across it!
STD
15:14, Mon 29 Jan
O Neill's on broad street has the best one in Birmingham, never touch the stuff in a spoons
Moist
15:18, Mon 29 Jan
Bluesince62
On a trip to Dublin and the factory tour - it was like a different drink

Yeah, the pint you get with factory tour in Dublin tastes like no other.

Not sure about it not travelling though.

The export stuff can be like rocket fuel though - they sell a small bottle version that is 7.5%, but you can't taste the alcohol that much, so a few of them can be dangerous...
The cold never bothered me anyway
15:40, Mon 29 Jan
The Devlin Disguise
Someone once told me that they use a slightly different gas mix (more nitrogen I think) in Ireland, which makes it smoother.

You’d imagine there’s not a lot you can do wrong with a pasteurised keg shipped from Dublin so other than how fresh it is and whether the lines are clean it must be mostly down to drinking it in its ‘natural habitat’.

They don't export kegs long distance. They export in 1,000 litre containers (IBCs) of concentrate and then 'brew' locally with local water. I installed the machines that fill them. They replace the headspace in the container with nitrogen. The mix ratio is something like 6.5 to 1 so they can produce 6,500 litres Guinness per IBC. At least this is what they did 8 years ago.

That's probably the majority of the reason it tastes different.

Keys are an awkward shape, they are heavy and to ship thousands of empty kegs back to Dublin every year would be an astronomical cost. The locals end up using the IBCs for liquid storage as they are a one way/use container.
15:41, Mon 29 Jan
Liffey water is more tasty then?
15:45, Mon 29 Jan
16:52, Mon 29 Jan
Spotted dog not for me and a country mile from what i drank all weekend in Limerick

The way they rush pints on match day when its busy and fecking £6 !!

Far better and cheaper £4.60 up the road at the Fountain
16:54, Mon 29 Jan
Went to Dublin once, Oct half term 2003. Too long ago.

I loved the Guinness there but I didn’t really notice a big difference when I went.

I noticed it FAR more when I got back. Over here, it’s piss water.
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates

7 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
8 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
14 September - Castlemeads Court Retirement Village, Gloucester
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19:17, Mon 29 Jan
Reedy1968
Spotted dog not for me and a country mile from what i drank all weekend in Limerick

The way they rush pints on match day when its busy and fecking £6 !!

Far better and cheaper £4.60 up the road at the Fountain

Don't drink it tgat often myself, but yeah, the Dog is very pricey.
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work together for the benefit of all".
J.M. Keynes.