15:26, Sat 3 Feb
LBN
LBN
El Mayor
LBN
Mr Driscoll
It seems fair to ask at this point

It's not fair at all, I've cited systematic reviews and meta analysis of RCTs which are at the top of the hierarchy of evidence, where as opinions and position statements are at the bottom.

Mr Driscoll
Secondly, is there any limit at all on the level of red meat that should be consumed - perhaps perhaps 100 gms, 200, 400?

I see no reason to limit the amount of unprocessed red meat you eat.

There are environmental concerns about farming of livestock for meat

Yeah, I understand that, also ethics.
But I'll count myself out of both the ethics and environmental discussion, it got very heated last time.
The OP wanted to discuss nutrition.

Sound. I appreciate that stance
LBN
15:35, Sat 3 Feb
Mr Driscoll
Why is their advice contrary to the research findings you've provided.

I don't know and don't care much TBH, You're closer to the truth at the top of the hierarchy of evidence, not the bottom.

Maybe they feel the weak evidence and small magnitude of effect (at individual level) could potentially represent a large saving for the health service. Or maybe it's a pride thing? a lot of these authorities went in hard on red meat and Saturated fat in the 60s when data was sparse
15:43, Sat 3 Feb
LBN
The OP wanted to lose weight, surely there has to be a limit to the amount of unprocessed red meat that they eat.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
16:16, Sat 3 Feb
[www.penguin.co.uk]

This is a very interesting read/listen. I recommend to anyone wanting to lose weight.
10:06, Sun 4 Feb
Got a Friend in me
Hi all.

My girlfriend is expecting my first baby in July and I want to lose 2/3 stone in the next 5 months.

I have very bad physical health, I'm waiting on two operations, have nerve damage in my spine as well as fibromyalgia (which really affects me)

Can anyone recommend a way for me to achieve my weight target please.

If you're serious, cut out the booze or move to low calorie options, vodka + coke zero rather than a pint.

Track your calories, doesn't have to be religiously, but enough to get a general sense of how many calories are in what so you can calculate in your head in the future. This includes drinks, sauces, cooking oils etc.

Walk regularly. Aim for 10-15k steps. If you have a gym membership, incline walk on the treadmill for 30 mins each day.
10:11, Sun 4 Feb
Also, it's as simple as calories in and calories out. You could eat Maccies all day every day* but as long as your calories are below your basal metabolic rate/TDEE, you'll lose weight. Anyone focusing on anything else to lose weight is misinformed.

I say this because some advice given has been 'avoid trans fats' or 'cut out red meats'. You don't have to, at least from a fat-loss perspective. In fact, I'd advise against it. Boring eating on a diet makes sticking to it a lot harder. Cutting out both of those food groups will do nothing for fat-loss if you're still eating above your basal metabolic rate/total daily energy expenditure.

*I'll caveat this by saying that eating Maccies all day every day will A) not give you much volume to eat as those foods are more calorically dense and therefore you may not feel as full as you could be and B) the lack of nutrients may make you feel lethargic and that won't help either. But, the point remains, it's simply calories in vs calories out. Eat/drink less, move more. Or as some non-sympathetic people in the fitness community put it, more fork putdowns and plate putaways.
11:47, Sun 4 Feb
Take time out and listen and learn to these people on Facebook & Instram.

Eddie Abbew
Ex bodybuilding champ, gym owner who at 60 yrs old has a fabulous physique.

Gary Brecka
Human biologist - retired health insurance worker who could predict/estimate when people’s lives would end. Human biologist

Dr.Matthew Walker - Huberman Lab.
Professor who teaches in the top American university

End of story
Enjoy the journey and remember it’s not you’re doing in a months time it’s what you’re doing in 12 months.

Good luck in the future.

CV
Some very contradictory advice but what you really need is lifestyle change rather than just a diet.
13:00, Sun 4 Feb
Also, it's as simple as calories in and calories out. You could eat Maccies all day every day* but as long as your calories are below your basal metabolic rate/TDEE, you'll lose weight. Anyone focusing on anything else to lose weight is misinformed.

I say this because some advice given has been 'avoid trans fats' or 'cut out red meats'. You don't have to, at least from a fat-loss perspective. In fact, I'd advise against it. Boring eating on a diet makes sticking to it a lot harder. Cutting out both of those food groups will do nothing for fat-loss if you're still eating above your basal metabolic rate/total daily energy expenditure.

*I'll caveat this by saying that eating Maccies all day every day will A) not give you much volume to eat as those foods are more calorically dense and therefore you may not feel as full as you could be and B) the lack of nutrients may make you feel lethargic and that won't help either. But, the point remains, it's simply calories in vs calories out. Eat/drink less, move more. Or as some non-sympathetic people in the fitness community put it, more fork putdowns and plate putaways.
[www.health.harvard.edu]
17:16, Sun 4 Feb
Nobleman
If you're serious, cut out the booze or move to low calorie options, vodka + coke zero rather than a pint.

Track your calories, doesn't have to be religiously, but enough to get a general sense of how many calories are in what so you can calculate in your head in the future. This includes drinks, sauces, cooking oils etc.

Walk regularly. Aim for 10-15k steps. If you have a gym membership, incline walk on the treadmill for 30 mins each day.

How many calories in a pint of vodka and coke?