10:01, Sun 4 Feb
IanT
Looking at the table, we might get away with 3 more wins and 3 draws.

We certainly need to win one of those games and draw another. So minimum 4 points.

I think we'll be ok though, and finish the season quite comfortably.

I'm with you. Might not be comfortable but we'll stay up I think.
Think we all got a bit blase about our position when TM came in. We are in a relegation fight and have been since Rooney came in. First priority is to stay up obviously, then I think the good times start next season.
Up the feckin Blues
10:05, Sun 4 Feb
shd
I expect we'll get 6-7 points. 6 points from 9 will be a good return. 4 wouldn't be a disaster but given the form of SW and Blackburn we should be able to beat them both.
10:18, Sun 4 Feb
gerry1875
No games are guaranteed wins or losses, Sheffield and Blackburn are just as desperate for wins as we are, so are Sunderland if they want to stay in the play off picture, even though performance wise we are looking better, we can't score goals and that's a big worry

Don't see that as a big worry at the moment. We are creating chances, if we are not then it would look a lot worse. We've just played two teams away who have very good home records that don't concede many.

Another week for the new players to settle in. Hopefully we can get some defenders back from injury. Roll on Friday.
10:20, Sun 4 Feb
HackneyBlue
agree,

Blackburn are in real trouble atm, need to take advantage

One of the most interesting post match interviews ive ever heard after they banned Tomasson from speaking to the press pre match

[x.com]

Enjoyed listening to him...sounds an interesting fella.
10:43, Sun 4 Feb
Nikola Zigic
Yeah fair but to expect 6-7 points from those games doesn't feel unreasonable

To EXPECT them is highly unreasonable. We've rarely got seven points in three straight games in a decade.

To want them isn't unreasonable of course.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
10:46, Sun 4 Feb
HackneyBlue
We are just fans posting opinions on message boards, those targets arent being given to the players, not sure whos going to be upset either

And its based on 3 of the clubs being in a spot of bother

Because in very recent history people have got hysterical when we didn't do it over Christmas. Setting themselves for a fall.

We are a bottom third club and have been for some time, we won't pull promotion form from nowhere.

We know the league doesn't work like this.
10:49, Sun 4 Feb
IanT
Redditch Blue
HackneyBlue
We are just fans posting opinions on message boards, those targets arent being given to the players, not sure whos going to be upset either

Absolutely this. I’m not sure why people are continually shot down for, shall we say, expressing some concern.

On the other hand, Ian, who is entitled to his opinion of course, suggests we might get away with 12 more points this season, which is certainly debatable, and that goes unquestioned by these same people.

Nothing is must-win and at no stage in the remainder of the season will we not have things in our own hands. Surely!

However, we need some points at some stage, and as people have pointed out we are about to play two teams in poor form and both in disarray off the field. Logic, to me at least, says that if we aren’t beating those sides, then people would be entitled to be concerned.

Don't misunderstand me.

'We might get away with 12 more points' is very different from 'we need 12 more points'.

What is really important is that we take points off those teams around us. We've got 6 games against those sides and we really don't want to be losing any of them.

Of course we don't, we will though. We will also beat some of the teams we aren't expected to. We were as good as West Brom. There's not much in it between a lot of teams over the odd game.
10:56, Sun 4 Feb
Charcy
IanT
Redditch Blue
HackneyBlue

Absolutely this. I’m not sure why people are continually shot down for, shall we say, expressing some concern.

On the other hand, Ian, who is entitled to his opinion of course, suggests we might get away with 12 more points this season, which is certainly debatable, and that goes unquestioned by these same people.

Nothing is must-win and at no stage in the remainder of the season will we not have things in our own hands. Surely!

However, we need some points at some stage, and as people have pointed out we are about to play two teams in poor form and both in disarray off the field. Logic, to me at least, says that if we aren’t beating those sides, then people would be entitled to be concerned.

Don't misunderstand me.

'We might get away with 12 more points' is very different from 'we need 12 more points'.

What is really important is that we take points off those teams around us. We've got 6 games against those sides and we really don't want to be losing any of them.

Of course we don't, we will though. We will also beat some of the teams we aren't expected to. We were as good as West Brom. There's not much in it between a lot of teams over the odd game.

I'm with you.

We'll be fine.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
11:09, Sun 4 Feb
Redditch Blue
HackneyBlue

Just to highlight how difficult this is to do. You were adamant that QPR would win the five games from Cardiff to Blackburn. That they were easy wins.

W2 D1 L2

Which is a decent return but less than 50% of what you expected.
We had 13 straight points on the bounce at the start of this season…
Sad little pessimist you are. See you do nothing but spew negativity on here constantly.
12:04, Sun 4 Feb
IanT
Redditch Blue
HackneyBlue

Don't misunderstand me.

I didn’t misunderstand you. Nowhere have I said that you said 12 more points would definitely be enough.
I very clearly repeated that you’d said we might only need another 12, which was debatable. Which it is. I mean, we may end up needing less than that.

What I do think is bollocks though as I said on another thread yesterday is the idea in some people’s heads (not yours of course) that the season is over. We are four points above the relegation zone with a third of the season to play. It’s obvious to anyone being sensible that the season is not over.
12:10, Sun 4 Feb
Charcy
Redditch Blue
HackneyBlue

Just to highlight how difficult this is to do. You were adamant that QPR would win the five games from Cardiff to Blackburn. That they were easy wins.

W2 D1 L2

Which is a decent return but less than 50% of what you expected.

I’m sorry, you’re making stuff up there. Find me the post where I said QPR WOULD win five games in a row. Or where I said they had an EASY game to quote you.
I said something along the lines of they had a reasonable run of fixtures and that there was a strong chance they’d make up significant ground on us.
It’s called having an opinion on a message board. Because you don’t agree, you don’t have to make stuff up to further your opinion.
12:50, Sun 4 Feb
6 points minimum should be the aim. Wednesday are absolute dross who are well out the other end of their new manager bounce.

Blackburn are a basket case at the moment, manager not at the pre match press conference on the clubs orders and have taken 2 points from their last 24.

Sunderland is a weird one given the background to that game.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
12:59, Sun 4 Feb
I agree with you and that’s also why I think we will be fine. But, there’s work to be done clearly.
If we weren’t to do well in these games, then it’s not a great outlook.
However ,would still be a long way to go though even then.
Plenty of ups and downs left and that is something I think we’d all agree on.
Cheikh N’doye’s Ballon d’Or
We had 13 straight points on the bounce at the start of this season…
Sad little pessimist you are. See you do nothing but spew negativity on here constantly.

I'm not being pessimistic at all I would love seeing nine points let alone seven but it rarely plays out like that. What I did see was the way people reacted when we didn't pick up those numbers in other runs. I am the opposite of pessimistic, if you read my posts. I am the one usually most likely to want to give a manager time in the past. I am the one saying even on this thread that whilst football will mean we probably won't get the seven points that are 'needed' or 'expected' here, that we will get them in games we aren't necessarily expected to.

Realistic expectations and targets are more likely to be met and will keep people happier and content. Set yourself to fail and the cloud of negativity around the playing side of the club will perpetuate.

Of course we can get seven points, to expect them or say we need them is wrong and I'm not sure how that's pessimistic.