10:37, Sun 18 Feb
I really like that we’ve stopped kicking the ball out when the opposition are pretending to be injured now. Leave it up to to the ref. In our previous 2 games the opposition have tried it, their fans have booed whilst we’re play on, their players are waving their arms about and then the second we lose possession, their player miraculously recovers and springs back to his feet.
Tam
10:39, Sun 18 Feb
Mr Driscoll
newblue
I thought the pass was poor. Wasn’t aware of where the opposition were and underhit it. Of course Roberts should have been alert to the danger too.

I’m not sure if this is one of those cases where players who are liked get a bit less criticism than the opposite, but all players make mistakes and two did here. The better we get as a team the fewer mistakes we will see. One of the objectives in passing the ball, the biggest objective really, is to improve the position of team by giving the ball to a team mate in a better position than the player passing. Try and keep it otherwise which could have been in the situation where we gave the goal away. We haven’t seen enough of that purposeful (or accurate) passing for years and under Mowbray we’ll see a lot more.

Glad to see this post. Was thinking the same myself. If I had to apportion blame for the goal id go 80% Paik and 20% Roberts (and maybe that's being harsh on Roberts). We're talking split seconds here, but as soon as Paik made the pass, he saw Clarke approaching at speed to intercept, and realising his error, moved back to try to cover Roberts.
Roberts could have been more alert to the danger but even if he had been that was still, at best, a 50/50 ball in a dangerous area.
There were a couple of other instances where balls played across the defence / final third were careless too. I'm not against playing it out from the back at all, but much greater concentration and awareness is required, particularly when the opposition have as effective press as Sunderland did first half. It was easy v Blackburn- they were utter shite- but better teams like Southampton and Ipswich will be very alert to these errors. It remains perhaps the main area for improvement in our play currently.

I’m also glad to see it, although (and I really like Roberts) I would have apportioned more blame than that to him in that instance. I thought that he was very good after that, and I think that we all have to appreciate that it’s not going to be perfect right away. There were a few instances in the first half where we gave the ball away in dangerous positions, but the difference in our play overall is night and day compared with Rooney and even Eustace, who I liked.
Make Blues Great Again
10:41, Sun 18 Feb
I noticed we played on. Liked it. Slowly becoming more streetwise.
'I truly believe that at some point during his Pompey tenure, Cotterill stated into the abyss and was met, after a time, with the gentlest of breezes and carried upon that breeze was a tiny, sweet voice, whispering "Everyone knows you're a ****". Over and over and over.' - The Secret Footballer, on Steve Cotterill.
10:44, Sun 18 Feb
Petebaldwin
I really like that we’ve stopped kicking the ball out when the opposition are pretending to be injured now. Leave it up to to the ref. In our previous 2 games the opposition have tried it, their fans have booed whilst we’re play on, their players are waving their arms about and then the second we lose possession, their player miraculously recovers and springs back to his feet.

Yep, it gives our fans a boost too.

It felt like the game turned when their left back was a fanny after a soft foul by Roberts. Stayed down for ages and then gave it some to the linesman/Kop, fans were a bit dead up to that point.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:02, Sun 18 Feb
Petebaldwin

Yep, it gives our fans a boost too.

It felt like the game turned when their left back was a fanny after a soft foul by Roberts. Stayed down for ages and then gave it some to the linesman/Kop, fans were a bit dead up to that point.

Yeah that guy dropped the ball there - got us right riled up.

He seems a decent player though.
12:54, Sun 18 Feb
Tom Brady's Statins
I noticed we played on. Liked it. Slowly becoming more streetwise.
Yep was pleased with this hope it continues

Still buzzing today, really exciting times ahead for us