20:36, Sun 21 Apr
pridding
I agree, and I think he will setup negatively again to try and eek out a draw.

I hope even he will see that overtaking the teams above us is the only way we can survive. Hudds are virtually gone and an early goal or two (sorry if that’s too optimistic!) they’ll collapse.

If he sets up for a draw and we get one it’ll be negligent in the extreme, and will certainly leave it out of our own hands.

All those catchable above us have a result left in the tank.
20:45, Sun 21 Apr
It was the stoke game Boxing Day when I walked out of the ground and thought “ oh shit we are seriously shite”
But it’s so many things this season that has contributed to our league position. But it’s the “ Venus” thing that made think WTF ? As a long time pro he must have said he was up to the role ? When he’s never done it to my knowledge. I may be wrong. That’s period IMO, that did us. I’m not blaming Venus solely but things should’ve changed quicker. GR in a few weeks before and I reckon we’d be fine, pay him off and look forward to next season in the Championship.
But these players wouldn’t help any manager IMO.
But think GR , would’ve got us to safety even if people didn’t like the style of play.
We’ve became the Rotherham of the midlands , but it’s ok We’re ON THE RISE , ffs
20:47, Sun 21 Apr
Tam
For me, the blame clearly lies with the Board who okayed the management change to bring in Rooney.

The squad was doing quite well under Eustace and reasonably organized and together with a way of playing that seemed to fit their collective capabilities. Then for no apparent reason we dump Eustace for Rooney whose greatest qualification for the job was the number of followers on Twitter.

Then comes the cry/justification from the Board of wanting No Fear Football, that they expected Rooney to deliver without knowing if the squad was capable of delivering or whether Rooney and his coaches had the ability to get the players to play in a short time. We found out that Rooney could not galvanize the squad to change and led to another management change and new style of play. We had the opportunity to strengthen the squad and add a striker in the transfer window but failed to address what had been a glaring issue for some time. While TMs illness was unfortunate it has led to another period of uncertainty for the players and ended with another leadership change and another change of playing style. 5 managers in a season means the squad must be confused. Dozzell, Pritchard, have been binned off while GRs selection of Burke yesterday was mind blowing. We produced the one and only performance under GR against Coventry and yet GR changes the team and the prove to be totally lack luster. Over 46 games the table will not lie. We are now left hoping for a miracle that will not happen.

Roll on next season when we will hopefully get some more stability on the playing side that has sadly been lacking this year.
10:24, Mon 22 Apr
johnthefence
Too many short arses

No striker signed in January (again!)

Qué some smart arse to say 'well Barcelona used to be pretty useful with small players)
11:15, Mon 22 Apr
Very much an emergency measure due to extreme circumstances though.
12:12, Mon 22 Apr
The only value in attributing blame is if it prevents future mistakes.

I dont blame anyone for appointing Rooney, because I can understand why the decision was made. It was a decision that was rectified pretty quickly when it was clear that it would never work out. I dont blame the board for persevering with Venus once Tony Mowbray fell ill, but in hindsight it was an error that probably wasn't 'clear and obvious' (to use VAR terminology)..

The decision not to bring in a striker in January was really poor, but I accept that there may have been financial reasons for that. I dont know the full financial circumstances, but Ive seen what Dan has said about the situation, and I trust what he has posted.

Looking at the players, they have had to adapt to several changes in style, and I think that has impacted upon their performances. There are some who are just not good enough or consistent enough. Some have let their heads drop when we have fallen behind. Im not certain I would buy into the theory that they havent bothered trying. I think they have but, overall, for various reasons, they are collectively not good enough.

Whatever happens over the next couple of games, Im just writing this season as being very poor, and anticipating that lessons will have been learned and that in 12-months time we will all be feeling much better.
13:39, Mon 22 Apr
Gavlaaa40
Very much an emergency measure due to extreme circumstances though.
Agreed on that. But others were presumably available but I understand why Rowett was looking for an interview 😉
Tony Fantastico
13:43, Mon 22 Apr
Mowbray's recommendation I thought?
13:51, Mon 22 Apr
Until I hear that from Mowbray I won’t believe it. Mowbray endorsed the decision I reckon, but being the man he is, he would. I’d be surprised if he wanted Venus to remain in his coaching capacity for continuity as he has said he plans to return in July
Tony Fantastico
Falstaff

I dont blame anyone for appointing Rooney, because I can understand why the decision was made. It was a decision that was rectified pretty quickly when it was clear that it would never work out. I dont blame the board for persevering with Venus once Tony Mowbray fell ill, but in hindsight it was an error that probably wasn't 'clear and obvious' (to use VAR terminology)..

The decision not to bring in a striker in January was really poor, but I accept that there may have been financial reasons for that. I dont know the full financial circumstances, but Ive seen what Dan has said about the situation, and I trust what he has posted.

Looking at the players, they have had to adapt to several changes in style, and I think that has impacted upon their performances. There are some who are just not good enough or consistent enough. Some have let their heads drop when we have fallen behind. Im not certain I would buy into the theory that they havent bothered trying. I think they have but, overall, for various reasons, they are collectively not good enough.

Whatever happens over the next couple of games, Im just writing this season as being very poor, and anticipating that lessons will have been learned and that in 12-months time we will all be feeling much better.

The disappointment is compounded for me by how upbeat and happy I recall everyone was on that sunny day v Leeds in August,
never dreamed it would come to this. B9 was buzzing, new owners, a new dawn, sunny day, nice tribute to TF etc, all was rosy.

My group and I liked JE but weren't expecting playoffs promotion or anything like that under him
( we knew he was a steady eddy that played to the players strengths) but we certainly weren't
expecting possible relegation either. In fact, we 'joked' how boring it was gonna be this season finishing mid or mid\lower in table and for once not have to be looking over our shoulders.

You never know as they say!
15:00, Mon 22 Apr
Falstaff

Great post, spot on.
I walked out of the Leeds game thinking exactly the same, as I did at the Albion game. All ive wanted for about 7 seasons now is just a boring mid table season, but we can never do that.
16:27, Mon 22 Apr
Yeah, agreed. I think most fans would have been happy with lower-mid table, clear of relegation.

There are many parties to blame, mainly being Cook and WR, plus the unfortunate situation around TM.

Though i'm not absolving the players of responsibility, they have clearly lacked leadership on the pitch. The change in managers and style has clearly played a huge part in performances, nevermind the wildly varying competence of the individual managers.

IMO this is the most talented group of players we've had for 8 or 9 years but what we gained in quality/ skill in the summer, we lost in grit, nous and dogged determination. That's been a major reason why we've been on the wrong side of defining moments on the pitch. So when people say 'the players aren't good enough' I absolutely disagree.
16:33, Mon 22 Apr
Formerly Deckchair
Yeah, agreed. I think most fans would have been happy with lower-mid table, clear of relegation.

There are many parties to blame, mainly being Cook and WR, plus the unfortunate situation around TM.

Though i'm not absolving the players of responsibility, they have clearly lacked leadership on the pitch. The change in managers and style has clearly played a huge part in performances, nevermind the wildly varying competence of the individual managers.

IMO this is the most talented group of players we've had for 8 or 9 years but what we gained in quality/ skill in the summer, we lost in grit, nous and dogged determination. That's been a major reason why we've been on the wrong side of defining moments on the pitch. So when people say 'the players aren't good enough' I absolutely disagree.

I agree with that - when they have had a run of games under a decent manager they have done well.

Both Eustace and Mowbray had points per game returns good enough to have had us in sight of the play off. If we had stuck with Eustace, or gone straight from Eustace to Mowbray and Mowbray had stayed healthy, I think we would be in the top half of the table.
Tam
16:37, Mon 22 Apr
Formerly Deckchair

I agree with that - I think I'd say that that they're the most talented set of individuals, but they often don't look like a team, and are short on leadership on the pitch. My wish, at the beginning of the season, was to see pride restored off the pitch and an incremental, steady improvement on the pitch so that we could take our time and plan for our short-to-medium term footballing future calmly.
Make Blues Great Again