15:28, Wed 24 Apr
Good enough for the World Cup but only decent enough for League 1 😁
Tam
15:29, Wed 24 Apr
Petebaldwin
The problem with Buchannan was highlighted by Mowbray - he takes the easy option too many times. He gets the ball and then immediately turns and looks to pass to one of the central defenders instead of taking the ball forward. He'll do it even when an opposition player isn't near him. He needs to start being a bit braver when he's got the ball.

It was clearly something Mowbray was working on with him and lead to him being dropped in favour of Drameh.

He's a really good player and I hope he stays if the worst happens but it's definitely an area he needs to work on - specially if Mowbray is back in the dugout next year.

One point I'd make Pete, and it doesn't address the problem completely, I'm sure, but the amount of telegraphed passes that end up putting him under pressure, and also the amount of passes that are played level with him, or just behind him must contribute to that. I'm sure that must apply to Laird as well, of course.
Make Blues Great Again
15:41, Wed 24 Apr
Tam
We should be doing our best to hold onto the majority of the players we signed last summer and in January. I do think they were improvements on what we had previously.

The main issue this season has been instability at manager level and missing a couple players as well spoke about - a better centre back, another big striker, etc. The rest of the team is fine even for championship level, and if we can hold onto most of them when going down we'll have a very good squad for that level.

It just needs improving on to complete the puzzle, and some serious stability. People suggesting the likes of Bielik, Buchanan and Laird aren't good enough are bonkers in my opinion.

These are all the players we signed in the summer and what I'd do:

Dion Sanderson - Jury's out following his charge, I'd rather not comment at present
Lee Buchanan - KEEP
Ethan Laird - KEEP
Krystian Bielik - KEEP
Tyler Roberts - KEEP
Alex Pritchard - KEEP
Koji Miyoshi - KEEP
Seung-ho Paik - KEEP
Keshi Anderson - KEEP
Siriki Dembélé - KEEP
Cody Drameh - KEEP
Emanuel Aiwu - GET RID
Oliver Burke - GET RID
Andre Dozzell - KEEP
Jay Stansfield - KEEP

Whether we actually can hold onto them is another matter, I'm talking about if they're good enough for the side and I think the vast majority are.
15:42, Wed 24 Apr
Tam
No doubt. It's incredibly frustrating watching us sometimes when a simple 5 yard pass is played behind a player so it takes him an extra couple of seconds to control the ball and by then, the opposition are on him.
15:43, Wed 24 Apr
Tam
Tam
Petebaldwin
The problem with Buchannan was highlighted by Mowbray - he takes the easy option too many times. He gets the ball and then immediately turns and looks to pass to one of the central defenders instead of taking the ball forward. He'll do it even when an opposition player isn't near him. He needs to start being a bit braver when he's got the ball.

It was clearly something Mowbray was working on with him and lead to him being dropped in favour of Drameh.

He's a really good player and I hope he stays if the worst happens but it's definitely an area he needs to work on - specially if Mowbray is back in the dugout next year.

One point I'd make Pete, and it doesn't address the problem completely, I'm sure, but the amount of telegraphed passes that end up putting him under pressure, and also the amount of passes that are played level with him, or just behind him must contribute to that. I'm sure that must apply to Laird as well, of course.

I'd agree with that, I also think some of this was unlearning the Rooney experience. The team was pretty dysfunctional under him and I think Buchanan got used to the fact that being brave on the ball too often meant taking it into a dead end and losing it. We had better shape and movement under Mowbray and Buchanan needed a prod to get him to make use of that.
15:47, Wed 24 Apr
the full backs are fine if you want ok and acceptable...i;d like a bit more

they both give the ball away far too much of late, Laird when attacking in oppo half and Buchannan when on the ball in our own third

they've both had patchy form at times since a really encouraging start to the season when they were utilised slightly differently

while not a priority area I;m not sold on them being who i;d want to see as first choice next season, think we can do better

Bielik would be a decent CH in L1, think we agree on that
15:47, Wed 24 Apr
Purely from a on the pitch view of it, I think Sanderson is keep, he has his limitations but in a well managed side with a complementary partner (I think him an Aiwu are too similar, that hasn't helped either of them) then he is a decent Championship centre half. If we are down, a back 4 of Laird - Sanderson - Bielik - Buchanan should be comfortably good enough for the division.
15:48, Wed 24 Apr
NouCamp
Bielik, Paik, Miyoshi, Lee Buchanan and Laird have had their moments but they have also had long spells of being poor.

I'd be disappointed if we had to let Paik and Miyoshi go

I wouldn't mind seeing Laird and LB on their way tbf, you;d think any replacements would be on a par or better

unsure on Bielik, could be a decent L1 centre half

Buchanan has been fine. Surely?

Crazy to suggest we should bin Buchanan
Also, need to do our absolute best to retain Bacuna, Bielik, Miyoshi, Paik, Dembele, Anderson (but he's on absolute peanuts which is why i think this)

We have two REALLY good players on loan who we should try and capture .... Drameh and <<<*** Dozzell ***>>>
(obviously i'm assuming that Stansfield won't feel like running his nuts off for another season whilst not playing what he thinks is his best position)

Paik is the only one I'd like to keep. A few others, I'm not fussed either way. Some will excel in the third division coz that's their level.
Agree with you on Dozell.
15:53, Wed 24 Apr
NouCamp
the full backs are fine if you want ok and acceptable...i;d like a bit more

they both give the ball away far too much of late, Laird when attacking in oppo half and Buchannan when on the ball in our own third

they've both had patchy form at times since a really encouraging start to the season when they were utilised slightly differently

while not a priority area I;m not sold on them being who i;d want to see as first choice next season, think we can do better

Bielik would be a decent CH in L1, think we agree on that

If you think we are going to improve on Buchanan and Laird if we are in league 1 then I think you might be in for a bit of a shock.
16:17, Wed 24 Apr
Personally I would struggle to be enthused about any of our current squad sticking around next season. It takes a certain amount of non-talent to finally eclipse teams which survived even when relying on players like Hancox, Riley, Leko, Grounds etc

Hall has been basically crocked all season so he is exonerated albeit likely on his last chance to prove himself. Miyoshi has been generally acceptable and Bacuna has been inconsistent but probably our stand out across a poor season. I accept we will still have a few that wont go anywhere and will be decent at League 1 level but I can's say I am individually bothered if Buchanan, Paik, Laird, Pritchard, Belik, Dembele, James found alternatives. We are stuck with Sanderson & Roberts unfortunately come what may. Suspect we are on speed dial to agents to accept the JJ January offers now more in hope than expectation.
16:29, Wed 24 Apr
Its not just a matter of who we'd keep and who we'd rid of. Many players will want to leave and some will have a few interested clubs. Sunderland is already showing an interest in Paik according to reports. Despite their agents best efforts other players will not have any offers so they are stuck with us and we are stuck with them.
16:35, Wed 24 Apr
Well it kind of is. Unfortunately for any of those looking to desert a sinking ship. They've signed a contract and we seemingly have no need to sell.

If they don't want to play League One football next season, I suggest they win the next 2 games.
16:38, Wed 24 Apr
What are peoples' thoughts on Juke over the next two games ?

I like him as a bloke and appreciate all his efforts for us .... but in my opinion he'd be stupid to risk his serious injury when you consider that after the two games he is without a contract, without an employer and effectively without an income.
16:41, Wed 24 Apr
What’s this “surely won’t stay in League One” stuff about?

Unless it’s the loan players, the rest are contracted to the Club. It’s not up to them. Says a lot about the obvious attitude of this squad.
Dong Ren Out.
16:45, Wed 24 Apr
Unhappy players tend to move on in 2024. If they have a long contract we can negotiate hard for a good price but ususually if they put in a transfer request, they get the move they want.