Tam
Le Mod
If we can’t convince Beilik to stay I’d be looking to loan him out, so we can have him when we (hopefully) return

Same goes for Buchanan and Paik

Bielik & Buchanan’s wages also don’t count towards FFP

I usually agree with you on almost anything, but if we can’t convince a player to stay (who was part of the mess) then we shouldn’t be letting them wait until we’re better for them to agree to play for us again. Lack of spirit, leadership and desire has been part of the problem. I really don’t want players without the desire to play for us.

Edit: Sorry, the thought of players that have been relegated being able to choose when to play for us is a notion that’s irritated me more than it probably should.

I agree with this. If they don’t want to be here then feck them off and reinvest the money in quality that wants to play.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
Tam
10:45, Mon 6 May
BlueSteve
Le Mod
If we can’t convince Beilik to stay I’d be looking to loan him out, so we can have him when we (hopefully) return

For me this is a sensible and pragmatic solution. We can't toss asside good players just because they have personal ambitions.

It’s not tossing them aside though. They would be players who don’t want to play for us presently and see their careers elsewhere. Maybe with clubs that would earn them more money and a longer contract than they currently have at Blues. I’m struggling to see this one, to be honest. All season long, fans have been criticising the determination, commitment and fight of the team - now it’s a good idea to let players leave who don’t want to be here because we’ve been relegated and would only come back if we’re better again?

I want players who want to fight for Blues.
Make Blues Great Again
10:53, Mon 6 May
Tam
Tam
BlueSteve
Le Mod

For me this is a sensible and pragmatic solution. We can't toss asside good players just because they have personal ambitions.

It’s not tossing them aside though. They would be players who don’t want to play for us presently and see their careers elsewhere. Maybe with clubs that would earn them more money and a longer contract than they currently have at Blues. I’m struggling to see this one, to be honest. All season long, fans have been criticising the determination, commitment and fight of the team - now it’s a good idea to let players leave who don’t want to be here because we’ve been relegated and would only come back if we’re better again?

Maybe I'm cynical but most modern day players view being a footballer as just another career. Players have more power than clubs and use that power. Unfortunately we just have to accept that and work with the players to get an outcome that suits the club and the player.
10:54, Mon 6 May
If they don't want to get us back, say farewell. I only want players committed to us.
Tam
11:17, Mon 6 May
BlueSteve
Tam
BlueSteve
Le Mod

Maybe I'm cynical but most modern day players view being a footballer as just another career. Players have more power than clubs and use that power. Unfortunately we just have to accept that and work with the players to get an outcome that suits the club and the player.

I don't think that every player has exactly that outlook, but I do agree in general. I just don't think that keeping players on the books that feel that they're too good (or it's not in the best interests of their career) to play for us in the predicament that they're a part of is in our best interests. First, we would know that they're not committed to us or feel a sense of responsibility - and that doesn't bode well for the future. That doesn't suit us for a start. Second, what if they get injured? They're in a contract with us and are useless. Third, what happens if we don't get back up? They're a year older, less time left on their contracts, and therefore less value. Fourth, if we did get back up, I wonder how the players that stayed, and the new recruits (not to mention the fans) would feel about the returning players feeling that they could now play for us again now that we'd reached the required standard, even though we'd been relegated with their participation? I think that it may well cause ill feeling.

If they want to move on, fine - sell them, bank the cash, save the wages and put it towards players who will fight for the cause. If they want to stay and help put the situation right, they'd certainly have my respect and support.
Make Blues Great Again
11:25, Mon 6 May
Tam
Tam
BlueSteve
Tam
BlueSteve
Le Mod

I don't think that every player has exactly that outlook, but I do agree in general. I just don't think that keeping players on the books that feel that they're too good (or it's not in the best interests of their career) to play for us in the predicament that they're a part of is in our best interests. First, we would know that they're not committed to us or feel a sense of responsibility - and that doesn't bode well for the future. That doesn't suit us for a start. Second, what if they get injured? They're in a contract with us and are useless. Third, what happens if we don't get back up? They're a year older, less time left on their contracts, and therefore less value. Fourth, if we did get back up, I wonder how the players that stayed, and the new recruits (not to mention the fans) would feel about the returning players feeling that they could now play for us again now that we'd reached the required standard, even though we'd been relegated with their participation? I think that it may well cause ill feeling.

If they want to move on, fine - sell them, bank the cash, save the wages and put it towards players who will fight for the cause. If they want to stay and help put the situation right, they'd certainly have my respect and support.
Its a really complicated balancing act due to the good points you raised. My one concern would be I worry about us being unable to attract decent players with ambition due to the division we are in. Maybe money talks and we are going to have to offer some big contracts in order to attract decent players. Although thats whats got us into trouble in the past.
Tam
11:31, Mon 6 May
BlueSteve
Tam
BlueSteve
Tam
BlueSteve
Le Mod

Its a really complicated balancing act due to the good points you raised. My one concern would be I worry about us being unable to attract decent players with ambition due to the division we are in. Maybe money talks and we are going to have to offer some big contracts in order to attract decent players. Although thats whats got us into trouble in the past.

I can't pretend to know the answer to that Steve, but I think that we'll be able to attract the best players in our 'catchment' area. A couple of sharp loans from the the Prem or Championship (possibly) and I think that a lot of players would want to come to us, because the expectation is promotion, their income would be significantly improved, and a young player may view the 'project' with more enthusiasm than, say players of the 30 plus mark. If any players that want to go end up going, it would surely be for a decent transfer fee to a Championship club, and the wages (plus the saved wages for out of contract players) would stand us in good stead. I know the promise is to 'spend big', but a) if our better players stay, it would give us a great start and b) I would be concerned that other clubs, players and agents may try and take advantage of that.
Make Blues Great Again
11:38, Mon 6 May
Funny enough Bielik is one of the only players from the current squad I’d really want to keep. So conveniently, he’s one that’s very likely to leave.
number8
If they don't want to get us back, say farewell. I only want players committed to us.

I do get the opposition to the idea, I’d only consider it for a few, feels a bit idealistic to sell players of a good age who could still be good for us, but as it happens I think we may be able to keep most of the ones we want to anyway.
Happy Clapper
12:17, Mon 6 May
Le Mod
number8

I do get the opposition to the idea, I’d only consider it for a few, feels a bit idealistic to sell players of a good age who could still be good for us, but as it happens I think we may be able to keep most of the ones we want to anyway.

Hopefully you're right. But if any of them express a desire to leave, let them go. Rebuild with players who want to be here. To me, that spirit is more important than ability.
Surprised at that, thought Burke was such a team player.
12:44, Mon 6 May
I don’t understand why the majority on here are saying “anyone who doesn’t want to be here, let them go”. When Leicester went down, the majority of their team were decent Premier League players and could have easily left, but the club refused, made them stay and they dominated the League (they took their foot off the pedal for the last few games).

If we’ve got a player who would be very good in League 1, and they don’t have a relegation release clause, then we should make them stay. They might be unhappy for a few weeks whilst the transfer window is open, but once it closes, they are professionals and will do their job. If they don’t they’d only be harming their chances of getting a move in Jan or at the end of the season (if we don’t go up).

Us being relegated isn’t someone’s else mess to clear up, it’s theirs - if they don’t want to be a League 1 player, then work hard and get promoted. It’ll be the manager job to keep them focussed and motivated and the boards job to say “no one leaves unless the clubs wants them to”.

It’ll say a lot about who these players are as people, are they losers who quit when things get tough or do they have strength of character, who dont quit when they get knocked down, they get up, dust themselves off and do better next time. Who ever stays and does well next year will endear themselves to the fans forever.
12:49, Mon 6 May
Felix1875
It’ll say a lot about who these players are as people, are they losers who quit when things get tough or do they have strength of character, who dont quit when they get knocked down, they get up, dust themselves off and do better next time. Who ever stays and does well next year will endear themselves to the fans forever.

Problem is that we've had a season of evidence to suggest which category most of the squad fits into.
Tam
12:52, Mon 6 May
Tell me - because I don't know - were any of the Leicester players looking for a move? I agree wholeheartedly that we should make them stay if they can be trusted to give 10% - we should remember though, that many of the team have been accused of not caring in the Championship. Them staying (if we wanted them) is a much preferred option, but we all know about player power.
Make Blues Great Again
13:12, Mon 6 May
Tam
Tam
Tell me - because I don't know - were any of the Leicester players looking for a move? I agree wholeheartedly that we should make them stay if they can be trusted to give 10% - we should remember though, that many of the team have been accused of not caring in the Championship. Them staying (if we wanted them) is a much preferred option, but we all know about player power.

I get the sense (based on nothing put public image) that Wagner will have no problem telling those players he / the leadership team wants to stay that they’re staying - like it or lump it. Principle seems important to his business philosophy. And if things are really looking rosy on FFP then we don’t need to sell anyone we don’t want to.

I hope that’s the case anyway. I think we should be sitting the squad down and telling them “you got us into this mess and you’re fecking well getting us out of it”

Edit: excluding the truly shite ones who can feck off - on our terms