08:04, Sat 16 Dec
28-12-64
Lost 4-1 at home to Arsenal apparently
08:33, Sat 16 Dec
theAtlas
14th September 1963, lost -1-2 at Burnley.

Out the FA Cup and League Cup at first opportunity.

Some things never change.

Good thread though đź‘Ź

Two weeks earlier for me, again we lost 2-1 away to Fulham!!
08:44, Sat 16 Dec
Yeah that Everton game at home when Hopkins scored last min winner we hadn’t won for something like 13 odd games and we was all convinced we was down in that long run of defeats and odd draw then after that Everton win we somehow turned it round how we did it god only knows but was great to go to them games at spurs and Southampton brilliant away days
08:50, Sat 16 Dec
27/09/1961 ......... Blues 2 AS Roma 2 Europa league
08:50, Sat 16 Dec
Wolvobluenose
We played on the day I was born.

Wednesday 11th November 1959.

Inter Cities Fairs Cup semi final 2nd leg - Blues 4, Union Saint Gilloise (Belgium) 2, with goals from Johnny Gordon (2), Bunny Larkin, and Harry Hooper. We won 8-4 on aggregate, and would meet Barcelona in a two legged final.

19 years later we would beat Man U 5-1 at home!
our very last win against Man Utd too
08:59, Sat 16 Dec
b34blues
Yeah that Everton game at home when Hopkins scored last min winner we hadn’t won for something like 13 odd games and we was all convinced we was down in that long run of defeats and odd draw then after that Everton win we somehow turned it round how we did it god only knows but was great to go to them games at spurs and Southampton brilliant away days

Thought we beat Spurs 2-0 at home season we stopped up?
Halsall scored iirc
09:07, Sat 16 Dec
JourneyOn
West Ham 4-0 Blues

Was that 1983?
Opening game of the season.
Not many of us there that day as hundreds had been detained at Euston

And plenty at Lords
09:12, Sat 16 Dec
I think we lost 1-0 to West Ham, on that day and we beat spurs 1-0 on January 2nd in front of 33,000 plus.

I looked because my birthday is on the 29th.
09:15, Sat 16 Dec
Sheep2
Le Mod
Blues 1 Swindon 2

Attendance 4,000

You must have all been playing a pool tournament

The worst atmosphere ever at a game i've been to.
Three days after we'd been relegated and three days after the Hillsborough disaster.

It was extremely quiet and subdued, even for a 90% empty ground. I think everyone felt a bit numb. Not a lot to enjoy that night.

The full game is on YouTube
[m.youtube.com]
I don't recommend watching it. We really were terrible.I

Anyone who thinks we have been bad in recent seasons should see it to realise just how bad it could be.

This 100%. Imagine if social media would have been around then!
09:23, Sat 16 Dec
Beat Sunderland 2-0 in front of 10000 and lost to Villa in front of 32000 three days later. Seems our support was a bit flaky.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
09:36, Sat 16 Dec
NouCamp
Bit of a thing on twitter about the first game after you were born

It led me to looking up the 82/83 season and had no idea of the great escape that took place

Rock bottom in 22nd place after losing 4 nil to Luton in April and end up finishing 17th with 5 wins from last 6

Pretty crazy

What happened?

Great thread. Aged 20 and living in the North East at the time of the “great escape” I was caught up in it emotionally - particularly with one of the last gasp wins being at Roker Park and putting Sunderland in trouble! To add to the craziness, Luton won THEIR last game of the season and sent Manchester City down!

Doing the math, I was therefore born in the 1962/63 season - the big freeze suspending football for a long while. Blues finished 20th out of 22 in the top flight, knocked out of the FA Cup by Bury in the 3rd round. But as everyone knows…..went on to triumph in the League Cup, which for 48 years remained our only major trophy!
10:28, Sat 16 Dec
Osterberg
NouCamp
Bit of a thing on twitter about the first game after you were born

It led me to looking up the 82/83 season and had no idea of the great escape that took place

Rock bottom in 22nd place after losing 4 nil to Luton in April and end up finishing 17th with 5 wins from last 6

Pretty crazy

What happened?

Great thread. Aged 20 and living in the North East..

To add to the craziness, Luton won THEIR last game of the season and sent Manchester City down!

Match of the Day from that evening

[m.youtube.com]
10:37, Sat 16 Dec
We beat Norwich at home on the day I was born and on my 50th birthday we also beat Norwich at home.
10:45, Sat 16 Dec
I was born During the 67/68 season and first game after I arrived we drew 1-1 away at Bolton followed up by two home games beating Huddersfield 6-1 and Bristol city 4-1 in front of a 40k plus attendance. We also did the double over the vile.

Beat Arsenal and Chelsea in R3 and R4 of FA cup before making it to the semi final.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
10:54, Sat 16 Dec
Wazball
97/98, last game of the season. Drew 0-0- with Charlton at home. Think we needed to either draw and results go our way or win to get into the playoffs. Finished 7th after the result.

Remember that like it was yesterday