11:38, Mon 1 Jan
PRBlue
Absolutely we would be higher. Mid table at worst. The last three months has been a catastrophe..

No facts to base that on.

By 01.01.23 our post World Cup slide was underway and I believe we had 26 points after 25 games.

I didn't want Rooney but equally I wanted Eustace gone.
11:42, Mon 1 Jan
This seasons squad is very different to lady seasons.
The cold never bothered me anyway
11:47, Mon 1 Jan
Rasputin
Are people really this desperate to defend the absolute car crash of the last few months?

We may not have been sixth still, but we absolutely would not have fallen to pieces under JE like we have under WCW.

We'd be higher up the table with the current squad playing much better than they currently are, meaning that we likely wouldn't be contemplating tearing the squad up.
We don't know that though do we, Rooney is absolutely not my choice to be manager or never was, but he is here, we can't keep changing managers every 3 months, let's just say we did get rid and let's just say Cooper, Potter or whoever came in and we were still this car crash, would we want change again? People wanted Eustace gone even though we were in 6th place, not all I admit but quite a few, we made the change and yes I agree it has been a mess, but keep changing managers is not the answer, one it's costly and 2 there will never be any consistency, I will support whoever is manager and will continue to do so, my opinion will not change the owners minds and let's be honest the owners don't look like making a change anytime soon, it's obvious they will stick with Rooney, whether we like it or not
12:06, Mon 1 Jan
Rasputin
This seasons squad is very different to lady seasons.

Different but not necessarily better.
Tam
12:14, Mon 1 Jan
Dirty Bertie
PRBlue
Absolutely we would be higher. Mid table at worst. The last three months has been a catastrophe..

No facts to base that on.

By 01.01.23 our post World Cup slide was underway and I believe we had 26 points after 25 games.

I didn't want Rooney but equally I wanted Eustace gone.

Of course not, it's about opinions, but I don't think that many people imagined that, after 11 games with 18 points, we'd only pick up 10 points in the next 14 games. BTW, I think we had 32 points after 25 games last season.

Anyway, what's done is done. No-one claims that JE was the Messiah (regardless of what anybody suggests on here) but we were doing OK this season. Anyway, the real issue - as ever - was the replacement. I'd love it to work, but not convinced that it will at the moment and it's a delicate time for backing or sacking. On the face of it, 14 games isn't enough, but after today we'll have had almost a third of the season under Rooney.

Do they back him or sack him? I feel that they'll back him as much as they can, because the club and the CEO have a lot invested in him, and not just financially. Then, realistically, they have to give him until the end of February, unless we've bombed even further.some
Make Blues Great Again
12:31, Mon 1 Jan
Tam
...after the New Year fixture last year (lost 1-3 at home to 'Boro) we had 32 points from 26 games and were 17th.

....IF we win today we'll have 31 points from 26 games and could be as high as 15th ๐Ÿ˜ค
12:40, Mon 1 Jan
...after the New Year fixture last year (lost 1-3 at home to 'Boro) we had 32 points from 26 games and were 17th.

....IF we win today we'll have 31 points from 26 games and could be as high as 15th ๐Ÿ˜ค

Last season we were favourite or 2nd favourite with every bookmaker to be relegated going into the season.

The majority feeling on here was that we'd been circling the drain for so many seasons that it was the definitely the year we were going to be relegated.

Same as he did this season, last season Eustace over-achieved
12:49, Mon 1 Jan
BcFc
Suggesting we will be selling players in Jan window to fund incomings. Cant see that we have too many assets to sell, James, Dembele, Bielik?

If we all switch off "Football Manager" mode a while, we'll all agree the following, I reckon:
Some of us were happy with Eustace as we were - by and large - overachieving which makes us all feel great as perennial underdogs
Some of us were unhappy with Eustace because of a dreadful run but this was assuaged by an upturn in results. Some would have remained unhappy, some would have joined the happier camp.
Regardless, he's gone. Even if Wagner and Cook publicly announce they made a mistake with Rooney, he's not coming back so Eustace is as huge a red herring as bringing back Merrick
Rooney is on a contract. We should presume - as an honourable club - that we're going to honour that contract. As frustrating and disappointing as the results have undoubtedly been, we should be calling for Rooney to turn things around before we call for sacking, especially this early on. Particularly because of the financial ramifications.
When Knighthead came in, we all "knew" they'd want their own man and we all "knew" it would be Wayne Rooney. So we're probably just as irritated that we were pulled into that as we are by the manner of recent performances.
Nothing has changed, regarding the "demand" from the Board for better football. We all knew from day one it would be difficult for our squad to adapt. We saw we were fortunate with the points buffer we had "to burn" before the window.
It appears that buffer is burnt. We now need to get the players in who can carry out the Board's intentions. If they can't do it in the window, the demands on the pitch need to be tempered. Between Gardener and Rooney, you would hope - by now - that could be carried out. Especially if we can get injured players back.
Selling players has never been a surprise to us as a fanbase. In fact, it shouldn't be to any club.
I'm no better or worse a fan than anybody else. I could pitch right behind Rooney and he could be gone tomorrow. I could chant anti Wayne songs every day outside the Kop reception and he could be here for the next ten years.
But football is about opinions. I believe we need improvement, clearly. The difficulty - for me - is the PR. If we weren't sold "no fear" the draw against Bristol would have felt a lot better. If we weren't burnt by PR the 'played for a clean sheet' might have felt more sincere. Was it sincere? I don't know. Easy to say when you've scraped one. We could have won with a bit more luck from Sunjic's shot though.
I think we just need to leave the Board to take the stress, to make the decision on Rooney. I don't do the booing at the match or leave early but I do agree paying fans have the right to do so. Telling Boards to sack managers is a bit counter productive in my mind. When we're relegated, we'll wish we had. Or hadn't. When we're safe we will wish we had. Or hadn't. Etc.
Just hope we can improve on the pitch and we can feel happier in the stands.
Happy New Year all.
Keep Right On.
13:15, Mon 1 Jan
Post of the year
13:18, Mon 1 Jan
Low bar, early days ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘
Tam
13:54, Mon 1 Jan
Russell Leond
Low bar, early days ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

I bet the bar won't be much higher by the end of the year. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Good post - agree with all of that, except that maybe that the board won't honour the contract in terms of time if things get worse, but of course they'll honour it financially.
Make Blues Great Again
14:04, Mon 1 Jan
James off to Italy....taps nose
14:11, Mon 1 Jan
Well obviously there are no facts to base than on. Jesus effing Christ.
14:46, Mon 1 Jan
hes an attention seeker
we don't have any dosh to do business. loans i reckon and then start the clearout in the summer. assuming we are not in lge 1
15:35, Mon 1 Jan
GIF man aka โ€œattention seekerโ€
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates -

17 Feb - Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury
2 Mar - Taachi Morris Arts Centre, Taunton
30 Mar - Prince Of Wales Theatre, Cannock
20 Apr - Brewhouse Arts Centre, Burton on Trent
7 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
8 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield