09:07, Wed 3 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Not everything will go as planned. The obsession with only wanting what you’ve had before from some is bizarre though. Managers and players. The same names are mentioned year on year.

Spot on.
09:13, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
Tam
Rab C Nesbitt
Not everything will go as planned. The obsession with only wanting what you’ve had before from some is bizarre though. Managers and players. The same names are mentioned year on year.

Yeah, I do hope that the next manager is a considered choice and is given the chance to do the job properly. I also hope that our aims are (publicly, at least) tempered to allow expectations to be progressive and evolutionary.

There's nothing wrong with changing the mindset to one of growth and ambition.
So long as it's measured and realistic I'm confident that we can consign a 'just about adequate' identity to the history bin.
Knighthead will deliver !
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
Tam
09:16, Wed 3 Jan
generalBlue
Tam
Rab C Nesbitt

Yeah, I do hope that the next manager is a considered choice and is given the chance to do the job properly. I also hope that our aims are (publicly, at least) tempered to allow expectations to be progressive and evolutionary.

There's nothing wrong with changing the mindset to one of growth and ambition.
So long as it's measured and realistic I'm confident that we can consign a 'just about adequate' identity to the history bin.
Knighthead will deliver !

I agree, and ‘measured and realistic’ really is a sensible approach. Lessons learned, hopefully.
Make Blues Great Again
09:19, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
Oft said on here, but no less pertinent (even more after the Rooney experiment) now - evolution not revolution.
Up the feckin Blues
09:38, Wed 3 Jan
Bluesince62
Oft said on here, but no less pertinent (even more after the Rooney experiment) now - evolution not revolution.

Revolution off the pitch, evolution on it.

Which we seemed to be achieving in the early part of the season - hopefully a lesson learned all round, and the big on the pitch change comes with with the squad overhaul in the summer
09:40, Wed 3 Jan
Rags
Eustace’s style was somewhat effective but mind numbingly boring.

Possession stats under Eustace were a LOT better than possession stats under Rooney

Less long balls under Eustace too.

Now, if we can recruit someone excellent then yes, move on.

But please, now you've actually seen how well Eustace did compared with how well Rooney did - with the same players - can you drop the running down of Eustace ? The facts don't add up.

Appointing Rooney was, according our CEO, a world class decision - yet he didn't come even close to Eustace.

So, last week, you were still telling us how good Rooney was. How good, by your own measure, does that make Eustace ?

As i said, happy to move on to someone else - but at least now give Eustace some credit.

You can't have it both ways
If Rooney was good but not given time - then Eustace is a bloody genius
If Rooney was complete dogshite then, and only then, perhaps Eustace was ordinary

I don’t know why you’re trying to make it out like I was comparing the two. Eustace was a decent manager, he got results but the football was awful (to me anyway)

But isn't it a case of knowing the limitations of the players he had ? and doesn't that make him a good manager ?

I'm sure he would have evolved the style over time.

Anyway .... after the excitement of yesterday i'm fairly relaxed about the whole thing now

Sorry if you thought i was addressing you rather than the point.
10:00, Wed 3 Jan
Rags
Rags
Eustace’s style was somewhat effective but mind numbingly boring.

Possession stats under Eustace were a LOT better than possession stats under Rooney

Less long balls under Eustace too.

Now, if we can recruit someone excellent then yes, move on.

But please, now you've actually seen how well Eustace did compared with how well Rooney did - with the same players - can you drop the running down of Eustace ? The facts don't add up.

Appointing Rooney was, according our CEO, a world class decision - yet he didn't come even close to Eustace.

So, last week, you were still telling us how good Rooney was. How good, by your own measure, does that make Eustace ?

As i said, happy to move on to someone else - but at least now give Eustace some credit.

You can't have it both ways
If Rooney was good but not given time - then Eustace is a bloody genius
If Rooney was complete dogshite then, and only then, perhaps Eustace was ordinary

I don’t know why you’re trying to make it out like I was comparing the two. Eustace was a decent manager, he got results but the football was awful (to me anyway)

But isn't it a case of knowing the limitations of the players he had ? and doesn't that make him a good manager ?

I'm sure he would have evolved the style over time.

Anyway .... after the excitement of yesterday i'm fairly relaxed about the whole thing now

Sorry if you thought i was addressing you rather than the point.

I think it’s a little harsh to judge some of the players limitations so soon. If someone like Cooper does come in and is forced to play the same way as JE then fair enough. Rooney has no track record of playing good football or even being a good manager so maybe the performances were more down to his limitations rather than the players.

It’s also impossible to tell what JE would have done at Blues. Maybe he only knows one way or maybe he would become the championship Guardiola. I am interested to see where and what he does next though.

Fwiw I didn’t want Rooney, I think Eustace is a better manager than him. Having said that I wasn’t sad to see the back of Eustace but only if we got someone better.