I’d respect them less if they went back. Never go back.

Love to see these sorts of scenes again though ... even if with a different manager

[twitter.com]
22:47, Tue 2 Jan
If Eustace wasn't good enough for the owners 3 months ago, why would he be good enough now ?
22:50, Tue 2 Jan
If Eustace wasn't good enough for the owners 3 months ago, why we he be good enough now ?

Reality check ?
23:15, Tue 2 Jan
Of course he Intrested can’t get a job elsewhere
23:26, Tue 2 Jan
If Eustace wasn't good enough for the owners 3 months ago, why we he be good enough now ?

Reality check ?

This.

Also correct me if im wrong .....west ham seem to be doing alright after re appointing moyes.

It can work. You just have to pull your fingers out your ears and say you got it wrong.
23:48, Tue 2 Jan
Also Chris Wilder back at SheffU
07:11, Wed 3 Jan
Marleyblue
Of course he Intrested can’t get a job elsewhere

You have to put your name forward first. He has been contacted >twice by other Ch clubs and turned them down for varying reasons. He is fine.
07:12, Wed 3 Jan
It would be better and fairer for people to stop saying with such confidence what JEs potential was.

He did a good job and was still on his own development path. He was hampered with injuries yet still managed to get us into the top 6.

With backing in Jan nobody knows what he would have been able to achieve.

Let's just put him in a box called 'good', because he certainly is relative to the dross we've had in the last few years and leave it there.

Top post.
Moyes wasn’t sacked the first time, he wasn’t offered a contract. Wilder had huge success previously with Sheff U.

Eustace took us to 17th place 3 points off relegation in his only full season.
07:23, Wed 3 Jan
StechyBlue
It would be better and fairer for people to stop saying with such confidence what JEs potential was.

He did a good job and was still on his own development path. He was hampered with injuries yet still managed to get us into the top 6.

With backing in Jan nobody knows what he would have been able to achieve.

Let's just put him in a box called 'good', because he certainly is relative to the dross we've had in the last few years and leave it there.

Top post.

We had one of the lowest levels of possession and passing stats in the league despite being 6th. As we did when we finished 17th. As we have when we have finished in the depth of the division every season for years. That position with those stats make it highly unlikely we would have stayed there.

Relatively he didn’t have many injuries to contend with. Tyler Roberts, Alfie Change and George Hall really.

If we are admitting that our squad remains bottom 6 in terms of talent and we need Eustace in to galvanise and make best the lack of talent then so be it. I agree but it is pretty desperate and also puts pressure on Gardner’s recruitment.

Otherwise we need to look forward and concentrate on the evolution of our playing style with a new manager who implements it far better than Rooney seemed to.
Moyes wasn’t sacked the first time, he wasn’t offered a contract. Wilder had huge success previously with Sheff U.

Eustace took us to 17th place 3 points off relegation in his only full season.

With little investment or other peoples players. Yes he did.
You cant judge a mans ability with his hands tied. You could just as easily argue another manager would have taken us down.

What people forget is for the first time people started to believe the bloke was getting the best out of what he had, players believed it and really wanted to succeed.

There was no " rumours of trainig ground crap " no wagatha christi nonsense overshadowing matches.

It was just John managing the team to his best ability and the fans took to him. There was positivity especially with the new owners we were moving in the right direction....it turns out he was doing a good job not just on the pitch but off it.

Imo, apart from few odd murmers, most fans thought he was at least alright, even for now and if asked would probably have given him the jan window to see what he can do.

We didnt get that chance and for some reason sudden look back on our position in the same way we did Rowett...negatively and its wrong IMO.

I personally took my lad dowm for the first time. Under rooney i just couldn't be arsed again, it went toxic fast.
07:31, Wed 3 Jan
The possession stats were up from last year, as were passing numbers and passing accuracy, so it was trending in the right direction.

Injuries wise you’ve missed out Dembele, Laird and Buchanan
Happy Clapper
07:41, Wed 3 Jan
Marginally but from a low base and stll near the bottom.

I have no doubt in a parallel universe where JE wasn’t sacked we would be sitting here in a significantly higher league position and finishing better than 17th, maybe mid-table by the end of the season.

The owners and I personally think his style of play wouldn’t get us worrying the top 6 even with investment over the next few seasons. I can understand their desire to replace him just not the timing nor ultimately the decision for it to be Rooney. Unless it is a short term appointment, which makes little sense, I don’t think Eustace returning makes sense.
07:57, Wed 3 Jan
You say JE’s style of play would not have got us near the top 6. I would reply:
At least he HAD a style of play, and everyone, most importantly the players knew what it was, understood it, and were comfortable with it
It didn’t change game to game.
It was successful - certainly relative to what followed
There was some good football in there - Preston remains the best performance of the season for me
He was, I think playing a good mix of decent and pragmatic football.
We have some “good” players - some other clubs squads are better, but you can’t go from our squad to Leicester’s overnight.
You therefore have to cut your cloth
You do not know, and neither do I, whether or not JE’s style would have evolved over time at the point we can improve the squad further , to one where the football, whilst still successful, was more “no fear”, and we would have been worrying the top 6.
Having said all of that I think it would not be a good move to bring him back - I think we need a fresh start
08:11, Wed 3 Jan
You say Preston for Eustace and I could equally argue that Plymouth was Rooney’s sliding door moment.

That first 35 minutes or so was the best i had seen us since a number of seasons ago whe we battered Swansea for 45 minuts but couldn’t find the net. That Sanderson error avoided could have seen us win and win in style instead.

Eustace did have a style, one way which he wouldnt or couldn’t change. He surrendered at Norwich because he wouldn’t go front foot away from home despite their recent form and allowed them to play themselves and the crowd into confidence. Similar tactics to much of the previous season.