08:15, Wed 3 Jan
I personally think it’s silly to think the style of play would never have changed or progressed, it was transitioning, and it would have transitioned further.

He had a reputation as a possession based coach before he came here, he simply adapted to suit the players, and as the recruitment changed he’d have adapted further.
Happy Clapper
08:16, Wed 3 Jan
Eustace’s style was somewhat effective but mind numbingly boring.
08:26, Wed 3 Jan

Possession stats under Eustace were a LOT better than possession stats under Rooney

Less long balls under Eustace too.

Now, if we can recruit someone excellent then yes, move on.

But please, now you've actually seen how well Eustace did compared with how well Rooney did - with the same players - can you drop the running down of Eustace ? The facts don't add up.

Appointing Rooney was, according our CEO, a world class decision - yet he didn't come even close to Eustace.

So, last week, you were still telling us how good Rooney was. How good, by your own measure, does that make Eustace ?

As i said, happy to move on to someone else - but at least now give Eustace some credit.

You can't have it both ways
If Rooney was good but not given time - then Eustace is a bloody genius
If Rooney was complete dogshite then, and only then, perhaps Eustace was ordinary
Tam
08:31, Wed 3 Jan
TrickyBlue

Actually, I was quite enjoying some of the football this season under Eustace.
Make Blues Great Again
08:40, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
Can't believe some people on here saying the return of Eustace would be a step back. Can someone explain to me where how took a step forwards in the last 3 months?
08:44, Wed 3 Jan
It would be a step back in the sense of Knighthead’s competency. There’s better candidates out there than Eustace imo. There’s also worse. Let’s get the best option we can
Tony Fantastico
08:52, Wed 3 Jan
There’s no way they’ll get him back and there’s no way we should

Cooper for me Clive, as unlikely as it may be, not expecting anything this week
Happy Clapper
08:54, Wed 3 Jan
Rags

Possession stats under Eustace were a LOT better than possession stats under Rooney

Less long balls under Eustace too.

Now, if we can recruit someone excellent then yes, move on.

But please, now you've actually seen how well Eustace did compared with how well Rooney did - with the same players - can you drop the running down of Eustace ? The facts don't add up.

Appointing Rooney was, according our CEO, a world class decision - yet he didn't come even close to Eustace.

So, last week, you were still telling us how good Rooney was. How good, by your own measure, does that make Eustace ?

As i said, happy to move on to someone else - but at least now give Eustace some credit.

You can't have it both ways
If Rooney was good but not given time - then Eustace is a bloody genius
If Rooney was complete dogshite then, and only then, perhaps Eustace was ordinary

I don’t know why you’re trying to make it out like I was comparing the two. Eustace was a decent manager, he got results but the football was awful (to me anyway)
08:56, Wed 3 Jan
WreckTangle
Can't believe some people on here saying the return of Eustace would be a step back. Can someone explain to me where how took a step forwards in the last 3 months?

It is step back in a plan to have a team playing open attractive football and challenging for promotion over the next couple of seasons.

That is not the same as saying appointing Rooney was a step forward the two aren’t mutually inclusive
Tam
08:57, Wed 3 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
It would be a step back in the sense of Knighthead’s competency. There’s better candidates out there than Eustace imo. There’s also worse. Let’s get the best option we can

I know what you mean, but I think competence has already been called into question, as the Rooney appointment seemed a strange on in terms of footballing reasons. In one way, if they approached Eustace with a ‘sorry, we really got it wrong’ message, then I would respect that. Others might not, of course. It would also give them time to go for their choice in a considered manner.

On the other hand, if they said ‘come back for five months until we boot you out again’, that would be pretty unappealing.

I don’t think that it will happen - it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world in terms of seeing out the season - but it would feel uncomfortable unless they offered a longer and improved contract. Seeing as they were quick to get rid of him, I can’t see that, although Rooney’s availability presumably drove that decision.
Make Blues Great Again
09:00, Wed 3 Jan
GBBlue
StechyBlue
It would be better and fairer for people to stop saying with such confidence what JEs potential was.

He did a good job and was still on his own development path. He was hampered with injuries yet still managed to get us into the top 6.

With backing in Jan nobody knows what he would have been able to achieve.

Let's just put him in a box called 'good', because he certainly is relative to the dross we've had in the last few years and leave it there.

Top post.

We had one of the lowest levels of possession and passing stats in the league despite being 6th. As we did when we finished 17th. As we have when we have finished in the depth of the division every season for years. That position with those stats make it highly unlikely we would have stayed there.

Relatively he didn’t have many injuries to contend with. Tyler Roberts, Alfie Change and George Hall really.

If we are admitting that our squad remains bottom 6 in terms of talent and we need Eustace in to galvanise and make best the lack of talent then so be it. I agree but it is pretty desperate and also puts pressure on Gardner’s recruitment.

Otherwise we need to look forward and concentrate on the evolution of our playing style with a new manager who implements it far better than Rooney seemed to.

Can't beat a bit of common sense.
It'll never catch on 😎
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
09:00, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
Not everything will go as planned. The obsession with only wanting what you’ve had before from some is bizarre though. Managers and players. The same names are mentioned year on year.
Tony Fantastico
09:02, Wed 3 Jan
Most of our stats are dire. 22nd in terms of passes completed and crosses compleyed and 20th on possession. Rooney didn’t improve those at all to be fair.

I am not denouncing what Eustace did at the start of the season results wise btw. If the new manager doesn’t get a tune out this lot then it may reinforce his credentials. However i don’t want him back.
He's still being paid by the club - financially it makes huge sense - free up more money for players not having to fund a new gaffers contract (can you imagine, Blues will have 3 managers on the books and all their staff? - wonder if any can play at CH?). Can't see it happening loike, the humble pie would be too huge for the club, I'd imagine.
Up the feckin Blues
Tam
09:05, Wed 3 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Not everything will go as planned. The obsession with only wanting what you’ve had before from some is bizarre though. Managers and players. The same names are mentioned year on year.

Yeah, I do hope that the next manager is a considered choice and is given the chance to do the job properly. I also hope that our aims are (publicly, at least) tempered to allow expectations to be progressive and evolutionary.
Make Blues Great Again