09:25, Fri 5 Jan
Cotterill is a prick but for a period he was one of our better players. Could cross and take a free kick as good as anyone in the league
09:31, Fri 5 Jan
Iain_Gavin
Can we think of any flair players that have been loved across the fan base?

Jose Dominguez springs to mind

Frank and Le God
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
09:46, Fri 5 Jan
To paraphrase Sir Alex Ferguson's comments about Veron:

We're no f****** talking! [Miyoshi] is a f******* great player! You are f****** idiots!

I would also argue that Dembele is a flair player.

They both looked excellent at times in the first part of the season. I have every confidence under the next manager they'll be back to their best.
09:53, Fri 5 Jan
Iain_Gavin
I think there's definitely a cultural thing with us a fanbase historically and generally liking hard working, committed players over flair players.

Remember I used to have a row with a fella all the time near me in the Rowett days - he HATED David Cotterill - said he was lazy, no heart, never tracked back. I used to argue with him, that even if those things were true - could a team of grafters and chasers not carry 1 flair player if he continued to provide the goals and assists that Cotterill did? No - he wanted 11 Davis / Robbo / Keef type players

I liked this one, as it reminded me of the majority of Bears members hating Lara in 1994: citing similar sorts of complaints. Is it a Midlands thing?
09:57, Fri 5 Jan
Yeah it probably is - it's definitely cultural, I'm certain. Clark used to bang on about us being a working class club, and I think the same is true for the city as a whole, and as such we expect to see hard work and graft, and will generally forgive players for being crap if they leave it all on the pitch.
10:01, Fri 5 Jan
4CELL
Rasputin
Lazaridis wasn't a flair player.

Also agree, Stan was run all the way to the touchline as fast as possible and swing a good cross in. he had this ability to get a cross in right on the line.

or engineer winning a free kick in line with the 18 yard line
TaylorJay84
Hleb
Bentley
De Ridder
Jarosik

Pretty much Disasters although I do remember Jarosik scoring a cracking 25yd later winner at home to Bolton.

Jarosik was half decent, from memory. Just checked. He scored 8 in 32, not bad for a midfielder.
I know a lot of people hate Hleb, but I actually think he was operating on a level above us.

I agree re the perception of flair players amongst the fans. I still see some fans commenting that Bacuna is 'lazy'. I'd argue he is one of our hardest working players.
In my lifetime, we've never been set up to play attacking football, which gets the best out of these players.
10:40, Fri 5 Jan
Dembele is having a good season at the moment, and will only get better with a competent manager incoming.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:59, Fri 5 Jan
I think he’s been poor since injury. The team has though tbf. He’s got a massive upside we haven’t really seen yet
Tony Fantastico
11:00, Fri 5 Jan
Last couple of games he's been as frustrating as eff.

Loads of talent, needs to just simplify it a bit - get the ball, run at oppo, pass when available.
11:03, Fri 5 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
I think he’s been poor since injury. The team has though tbf. He’s got a massive upside we haven’t really seen yet

thought he was sensational in his first game back - the 4-1 against Huddersfield where he scored 2 and just tore them to bits, but like most he's struggled for consistency since then. He's played on the left, on the right, centre forward when we did the 4-2-2-2 experiment in a few games.

Think he suits the left side attacking position perfectly - especially when paired with a left back who can overlap, and a central midfielder who can fill the gaps (like Sunjic did in the 4-2-3-1)
11:04, Fri 5 Jan
The centre forward bit at Cov with Stansfield left blew my little mind.
Tony Fantastico
11:10, Fri 5 Jan
yep - he looked so lost playing that role - he strikes me as a player who needs consistency to produce consistency if that makes sense.

Here's your position - here's what your expected to do - crack on.

One of the Rooney post-mortem articles I read said that the players were bamboozled with the amount of tactical instructions they were receiving - which is probably an equal indictment of them as it is to Rooney - but good management is knowing how to get the best of out what you've got, and I think Mowbrary is seasoned enough to do that
11:12, Fri 5 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt

He was electric in JE’s last games.

Not going to blame him for looking crap under Rooney, I reckon Mowbray will get the best out of him.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:14, Fri 5 Jan
Osterberg
I liked this one, as it reminded me of the majority of Bears members hating Lara in 1994: citing similar sorts of complaints. Is it a Midlands thing?

My memory may be failing me but I think that was more down to a preference for, and the club’s treatment of, Allan Donald
Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can’t face reality