11:29, Fri 5 Jan
In the last few games under Rooney (Stoke and Bristol City) players would carry the ball until they got crowded out with no support from anyone else in the team, so i'm not surprised Dembele looked so poor.

My little brother pointed out early in Rooney's tenure that Dembele was receiving the ball further infield than under Eustace and would therefore have less opportunity to control/ run with the ball before being closed down by a defender, which made it more difficult to take his man on/ create.
12:48, Fri 5 Jan
Senor_Droolcup
Osterberg
I liked this one, as it reminded me of the majority of Bears members hating Lara in 1994: citing similar sorts of complaints. Is it a Midlands thing?

My memory may be failing me but I think that was more down to a preference for, and the club’s treatment of, Allan Donald

That clearly didn’t help matters, but as I’m sure you know, AD wasn’t available to us in 1994 due to test match commitments. I specifically remember being in the Ansell stand in 94 when there was widespread condemnation of Lara and I seemed to be the only person who didn’t know why. Even the old man despised him.
14:35, Fri 5 Jan
generalBlue
Iain_Gavin
Can we think of any flair players that have been loved across the fan base?

Jose Dominguez springs to mind

Frank and Le God

Worthington and Dugarry

The kings of flair and cool bastards with it
15:23, Fri 5 Jan
Jovan Kirovski had a faint glimmer of flair to his play. And that little Argentinian with the shit hair cut, what was he called?
16:17, Fri 5 Jan
Zarate?
16:44, Fri 5 Jan
Worcester Blue
generalBlue
Iain_Gavin
Can we think of any flair players that have been loved across the fan base?

Jose Dominguez springs to mind

Frank and Le God

Worthington and Dugarry

The kings of flair and cool bastards with it

Agreed !
They both had the ability to take the piss out of the opposition and did just that sometimes.
Instant control of the tater gave them all the time needed to hurt the other team.
It's a cliche but they had it on a string.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
17:30, Fri 5 Jan
Sunik
Why have we never been able to get the best out of them?

In recent years I can think of Dunn, Kapo, Jota and now Miyoshi, it just never works.

Because we always have a single flair player and hope they will beat 3 men and create a goal.

For it to work, you need more than one, or at least team mates who understand what the flair player is going to try to do and have the ability to trap a pass at speed and move the ball back on.

That being said, we have had a few that have worked - old Dugarry for example….
17:40, Fri 5 Jan
Who was that Italian guy we got about 5 years back who was going to be amazing, but ended up barely playing a game.

You could probably add Shinnie too, and Fahey was never really appreciated by large sections of the crowd.
17:42, Fri 5 Jan
ottomatic
Who was that Italian guy we got about 5 years back who was going to be amazing, but ended up barely playing a game.

You could probably add Shinnie too, and Fahey was never really appreciated by large sections of the crowd.

I think describing Shinnie and Fahey as flair players is probably a bit overly kind, but I get what you are saying.

I’d like to see a team with a couple of attacking flair players and a solid ball carrier in the middle to move the ball quickly. A boy can dream….
18:01, Fri 5 Jan
To use "Shinnie" and "flair" in the same sentence is a real stretch.
I can remember him regularly pirouetting in the centre circle ,head down , in a world of his own and almost disappearing up his own jacksy.

Surprised if he's still a pro ,
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
18:24, Fri 5 Jan
ottomatic

Fabbrini?
Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can’t face reality
18:30, Fri 5 Jan
Fabbrini , fur coat no knickers !
18:51, Fri 5 Jan
Senor_Droolcup
Fabbrini?

That was it. And I guess 'lightweight' is a better way to describe Shinnie.
How about Dan Crowley?
18:54, Fri 5 Jan
Toral had some (limited) flair 1st time around.
18:54, Fri 5 Jan
generalBlue
To use "Shinnie" and "flair" in the same sentence is a real stretch.
I can remember him regularly pirouetting in the centre circle ,head down , in a world of his own and almost disappearing up his own jacksy.

Surprised if he's still a pro ,

One of the key players in the Rowett revolution. Lacked pace and needed more goals but was really good for the first 12 months of Rowett. We upgraded with Toral but Shinnie was good for us