11:11, Fri 5 Jan
Mowbray knows how to use the players he's got.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
11:16, Fri 5 Jan
I think Stansfield and Dembele in particular will seriously thrive under Wor Tony
Happy Clapper
11:17, Fri 5 Jan
ditto, hoping it means Stansfield stays now, he was close to signing for Mowbray in the summer.
11:21, Fri 5 Jan
It’s very exciting to see what he can do with the likes of Dembele, James, Bacuna & Stansfield (if he stays) and the like.
He revitalised Jack Clarke after he kind of flopped after a few big moves after Leeds.
And I know Diallo was already a talent but boy did he get a tune of him last year.

Honestly it’s just nice to have that feeling that you can trust and rely on this manager to do what he needs to do, now it’s over to the players in that squad imo to win back some of us, because as poor as the WR appointment was, they were culpable for some terrible performances.
11:24, Fri 5 Jan
TaylorJay84
It’s very exciting to see what he can do with the likes of Dembele, James, Bacuna & Stansfield (if he stays) and the like.
He revitalised Jack Clarke after he kind of flopped after a few big moves after Leeds.
And I know Diallo was already a talent but boy did he get a tune of him last year.

Honestly it’s just nice to have that feeling that you can trust and rely on this manager to do what he needs to do, now it’s over to the players in that squad imo to win back some of us, because as poor as the appointment was, they were culpable for some terrible performances.

It’s a sensible appointment for our players I feel. He won’t try to get them doing things they clearly can’t but I feel his a manager who will get them to play beyond a level we may not have seen. He will have simple instructions for them to follow and he likes to attack with pace and purpose which will suit us.

I feel his miles above Rooney as a manager and a few levels above Eustace.
11:26, Fri 5 Jan
Premier League clubs do seem to trust him with their young players so hopefully we can utilise that in the loan market.
Buy my novel (if you want to of course), The Loneliness That Others Call Freedom by Steven Vaughan. Available in both Kindle and paperback format.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

@stevanderman
11:28, Fri 5 Jan
mjd2505
Saw someone else say they're warming to Mowbray the more they read into him and hear about him.

Same. Gerrim in boys let's have it

Yeah 100%. When I woke up yesterday, Mowbray wasn't even on the radar of managers I wanted. After spending half the day working watching interviews of Mowbray and reading articles about him, I'm now at a stage where I'd be pretty gutted if anyone else got the job.
11:30, Fri 5 Jan
He got Sunderland into the play offs last year and they sacked him this year when they were 9th.

Looks like a safe pair of hands to me and that is what we need.
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
11:33, Fri 5 Jan
its a very good appointment, knows the league, plays good football, seems to have pretty much everyone onside already, fair play to Garry Cook, gone back up in my estimation.
11:34, Fri 5 Jan
the ferret
He got Sunderland into the play offs last year and they sacked him this year when they were 9th.

With pretty much no strikers and no centre halves for the last few games I think.
He’s a man manager and a calming influence, it’s exactly what this club needs right now.
Just steady the ship, but without the turgidness of a Rowett type.
11:36, Fri 5 Jan
One thing that struck me. If the players are incapable of playing the way Rooney and therefore Mowbray will want to play how is it going to change? Without 11 new first teamers.

Beccause Rooney is shite - Mowbray is a top top coach and will adapt and improve the players
11:38, Fri 5 Jan
From a Sunderland fan and podcaster.

“Mowbray to #BCFC. It’s an appointment that fits, they’re obviously better than they’re showing at the moment as their start to the season showed. He’s not the dinosaur you might think, he’s far from it.

The football is fast, attacking and exciting

Perhaps occasionally too much so! He has faults and limitations of course and criticism of substitutions are at times valid.

When he gets it right though, which for the majority of 18 months at Sunderland he did, you’ll see some of the most enjoyable football in years.

Above all he’s a good bloke. He’ll be invested in the club, the area and the fans. It might not be the big name you want etc, but you’re in good hands with Tony“
11:39, Fri 5 Jan
the ferret

Be a very good appointment…does Mowbray have a good team of fitness coaches, some of the players seem to be a little unfit, and one or two have enjoyed a few too many hogwart ales…
Just a perfect day. Drink sangria in the park And then later, when it gets dark...We go home
11:40, Fri 5 Jan
With Mowbray here and Gardner's links to Fletcher, we might have a chance of getting Diallo on loan for the rest of the season. Only one appearance for Man Utd this season and was in great form at Sunderland with Mowbray last year.
11:41, Fri 5 Jan
Rags
One thing that struck me. If the players are incapable of playing the way Rooney and therefore Mowbray will want to play how is it going to change? Without 11 new first teamers.

Beccause Rooney is shite - Mowbray is a top top coach and will adapt and improve the players

Mowbray won't be expecting the players to do anything like...whatever the ever-changing bibble was that Rooney came up with from match to match.

He will want them to defend properly whilst passing the ball simply and well within an organised shape aimed at creating chances and putting shots and crosses in.

Because that's how his teams have always played, regardless of his resources.

And our players are very much capable of doing those things as long as their heads aren't filled with tripe, criticism and constantly changing messages.