11:41, Thu 1 Feb
Rags
"So influencers are bigger names than musicians."

I think it will turn full circle over the next 5 years

The talent themselves will become the influencers

I also think some of the new music which is now appearing is sensational

Same. Discover weekly / release radar on Spotify always has something that blows me away.
11:51, Thu 1 Feb
Rags
"So influencers are bigger names than musicians."

I think it will turn full circle over the next 5 years

The talent themselves will become the influencers

I also think some of the new music which is now appearing is sensational

Same. Discover weekly / release radar on Spotify always has something that blows me away.

I listen to the same

The best thing about the diversification (for want of a better word) of the industry and the disappearance of "chart culture" etc is that there is less pressure to follow any set path to success and less need to follow any particular set trend to get yourselves heard.
11:56, Thu 1 Feb
I tend to agree, there are loads of artists under the radar that don't use much SM so it's like the old days trying to work out what they're doing next.

A bit like trying to find a Godspeed you Black Emperor gig.

Horses for courses I guess or whatever floats your boat
11:58, Thu 1 Feb
e17blue
I tend to agree, there are loads of artists under the radar that don't use much SM so it's like the old days trying to work out what they're doing next.

They do use SM, but maybe not stuff you’re familiar with.

Discord is a great example; so many lesser known artists connect with fans using Discord to build followings.
12:01, Thu 1 Feb
e17blue

Ain’t that hard
[www.songkick.com]
12:06, Thu 1 Feb
Found that earlier, but it required me to look around.
13:37, Thu 1 Feb
I have had an awful lot of fun with this on X today.

Greetings from Oz.

P.s. 2.3m views and counting.
Formerly known as GuildfordBlue…
Dan
16:04, Thu 1 Feb
e17blue

I thought you preferred having to hunt around rather than have it easily accessible.
16:18, Thu 1 Feb
number8
This forum really isn't the demographic for the charts though is it? My kids know most of them, even though they have a fair chunk of my stuff on their spotify as well, but I am calm with the fact life moves on and I'm old. Be a bit sad in a way if blokes of nearly 60 were up to date with the pop charts.

There's not a thing that wasn't better pre three day week. Simple as.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
16:21, Thu 1 Feb
brumfanatic
BTS logo been likened to the Isuzu badge.

Think its funny as if all in the world people have to worry about is blues posting a twitter post like this.

But there again as others say ... keep it rolling $$$

They will have other worries though won't they. Much like I imagine you didn't post that and unplug yourself from the wall and sit lifeless for the next 23 hours and 59 minutes.
16:23, Thu 1 Feb
Snoop
El Mayor
bluearmyfaction
b34blues
Well I must live in a bunker or something similar as I’ve never heard of em either ..
It's more a sign of how contemporary pop music has passed outside of the mainstream. This is Simon Cowell's fault. Even up to 1999 Top of the Pops ensured that even those with little interest got an indication, almost by osmosis, of what was happening. The Fix Factor model though shoved all that out in favour of the blando dando beigecore like Adull and Sheerboredom.

And with no mainstream outlet for contemporary music, it's become a niche within a small demographic.

E.g. these are the artists who had number 1 singles in 1973:

-Sweet
-Slade
-Donny Osmond
-Gilbert O'Sullivan
-Tony Orlando & Dawn
-Wizzard
-Suzi Quatro
-10cc
-Peters & Lee
-Glitter
-Simon Park Orchestra ("Eye Level", biggest selling instrumental ever, aka the Van der Valk theme)
-David Cassidy

All pretty familiar and well-known.

While this decade, Central Cee has been no. 1 for 10 weeks with one single and I doubt anyone here could hum it. Let alone the output of other number 1 hitmakers such as Don Toliver, Saint Jhn, Diane Guerrero, Gayle, or Billen Ted.

I suspect it’s more to do with the age of people on here than anything else.

What you think is the mainstream has changed; for example social media like TikTok is a huge driver of how music proliferates among young people.

It’s all good - this is how things are supposed to change.

I think this is how things have changed but I'm not sure that is the same as "this is how things are supposed to change". It is a very, very recent thing (in terms of humanity) and it does seem to be resulting in a greater disconnect within society - between generations but also within them, based on social data coming through so far.

That's garbage, every generation feels the disconnect. Put a bit of Foot Loose on.
16:29, Thu 1 Feb
16:29, Thu 1 Feb
bluearmyfaction
I think it's more that, 30 years ago, about the only creative outlets possible were demo tapes, fanzines, and angsty poetry. Now, everyone has a film recording studio in their pocket. So influencers are bigger names than musicians. I am not familiar with his oeuvre, but I am at least vaguely aware of what Mr Beast does and what his style is. His shtick is more visible in mainstream media than non-visual music.

But also there has been a stalling in music BECAUSE it's all available, one can explore the 1950s as easily as the 2020s online. The number one hitmakers this decade people would probably have heard about include:

-Ellie Goulding (first hit 2009);

-Stormzy (first hit 2015);

-Eminem (first hit 1999);

-Drake (first hit 2009);

-Smiley Virus (first hit 2007).

And that's leaving aside Carey, Wham!, Elton John, and Kate Bush. Let alone Sheeran and Adull who date back to the 2000s as well. Even Taytay's first hit was 2007.

It's kind of as if the charts in 1981 were not headed by Madness, Adam & the Ants, OMD, or the Specials...but Englebert Humperdink, Petula Clark, The Searchers and The Tremeloes. With a smattering of Donald Peers and Semprini.

You're aware kids couldn't give two shits about the charts aren't you. There's plenty of new music they have access to and they will be listening to loads of it because they have access. GALLUP or whatever they were called do not matter anymore. Nobody is buying as such but they are listening. The songs that people love are still being listened to and that keeps them high.

I bet you didn't only listen to that week's new vinyls on your gramophone and discard the rest did you?
16:32, Thu 1 Feb
e17blue
Prefer the days when I had to go out of my way to find new bands in the press or at gigs rather than turning my phone on and looking at Social Media.

Flicking through Brum Beat to see who was playing at the Barrel Organ, magic.

Apparently instead of years learning your craft playing toilets up and down the land all you need to do is film yourself cuking a sock or whatever or appear on an ITV talentless show.

Do bands make money out of streaming or social media channels?

Just sounds like you got lazy. Gigs still happening, you may be able to read your magazine online but content is still there.

Just a site full of people who don't realise they're old.
16:33, Thu 1 Feb
Dan
Dan
e17blue

I thought you preferred having to hunt around rather than have it easily accessible.

🤣