Just a site full of people who don't realise they're old.

....you're a cheeky fecker 🤣😂😤
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men
Just a site full of people who don't realise they're old.

....you're a cheeky fecker 🤣😂😤

There's a bloke comparing the charts in 1972 to 2024. Can just imagine what Bluearmynan was saying in 1972 about how is all the same ones not like when Glen Miller was blazing a trail in 1920.

Them are the timeframes.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
16:42, Thu 1 Feb
Charcy
Snoop
El Mayor
bluearmyfaction
b34blues
Well I must live in a bunker or something similar as I’ve never heard of em either ..
It's more a sign of how contemporary pop music has passed outside of the mainstream. This is Simon Cowell's fault. Even up to 1999 Top of the Pops ensured that even those with little interest got an indication, almost by osmosis, of what was happening. The Fix Factor model though shoved all that out in favour of the blando dando beigecore like Adull and Sheerboredom.

And with no mainstream outlet for contemporary music, it's become a niche within a small demographic.

E.g. these are the artists who had number 1 singles in 1973:

-Sweet
-Slade
-Donny Osmond
-Gilbert O'Sullivan
-Tony Orlando & Dawn
-Wizzard
-Suzi Quatro
-10cc
-Peters & Lee
-Glitter
-Simon Park Orchestra ("Eye Level", biggest selling instrumental ever, aka the Van der Valk theme)
-David Cassidy

All pretty familiar and well-known.

While this decade, Central Cee has been no. 1 for 10 weeks with one single and I doubt anyone here could hum it. Let alone the output of other number 1 hitmakers such as Don Toliver, Saint Jhn, Diane Guerrero, Gayle, or Billen Ted.

I suspect it’s more to do with the age of people on here than anything else.

What you think is the mainstream has changed; for example social media like TikTok is a huge driver of how music proliferates among young people.

It’s all good - this is how things are supposed to change.

I think this is how things have changed but I'm not sure that is the same as "this is how things are supposed to change". It is a very, very recent thing (in terms of humanity) and it does seem to be resulting in a greater disconnect within society - between generations but also within them, based on social data coming through so far.

That's garbage, every generation feels the disconnect. Put a bit of Foot Loose on.

That's garbage. It has changed - from not liking the new stuff to not knowing what the new stuff is.
16:51, Thu 1 Feb
If you’ve got Spotify, discover weekly and release radar. Playlists of 30 songs updated weekly based on your listening preferences.
17:00, Thu 1 Feb
Snoop
Charcy
Snoop
El Mayor
bluearmyfaction
b34blues
Well I must live in a bunker or something similar as I’ve never heard of em either ..
It's more a sign of how contemporary pop music has passed outside of the mainstream. This is Simon Cowell's fault. Even up to 1999 Top of the Pops ensured that even those with little interest got an indication, almost by osmosis, of what was happening. The Fix Factor model though shoved all that out in favour of the blando dando beigecore like Adull and Sheerboredom.

And with no mainstream outlet for contemporary music, it's become a niche within a small demographic.

E.g. these are the artists who had number 1 singles in 1973:

-Sweet
-Slade
-Donny Osmond
-Gilbert O'Sullivan
-Tony Orlando & Dawn
-Wizzard
-Suzi Quatro
-10cc
-Peters & Lee
-Glitter
-Simon Park Orchestra ("Eye Level", biggest selling instrumental ever, aka the Van der Valk theme)
-David Cassidy

All pretty familiar and well-known.

While this decade, Central Cee has been no. 1 for 10 weeks with one single and I doubt anyone here could hum it. Let alone the output of other number 1 hitmakers such as Don Toliver, Saint Jhn, Diane Guerrero, Gayle, or Billen Ted.

I suspect it’s more to do with the age of people on here than anything else.

What you think is the mainstream has changed; for example social media like TikTok is a huge driver of how music proliferates among young people.

It’s all good - this is how things are supposed to change.

I think this is how things have changed but I'm not sure that is the same as "this is how things are supposed to change". It is a very, very recent thing (in terms of humanity) and it does seem to be resulting in a greater disconnect within society - between generations but also within them, based on social data coming through so far.

That's garbage, every generation feels the disconnect. Put a bit of Foot Loose on.

That's garbage. It has changed - from not liking the new stuff to not knowing what the new stuff is.

You have access to all the new stuff now, there's an argument you actually didn't. What you think was everything wasn't everything at all, far far from it but your access to music was regionalised and subject to what was recorded. It's easier to record now and when you have recorded you have effectively pressed billions of records.
17:02, Thu 1 Feb
El Mayor
If you’ve got Spotify, discover weekly and release radar. Playlists of 30 songs updated weekly based on your listening preferences.

I already do this but it is a bit strange to ignore that things haven't changed massively over the last 30 to 40 years in a new way, when it is so well recognised that it has.

I'm also not sure I care that much if people want to ignore the societal change we have seen :)
13:16, Fri 2 Feb
Just a bump as it goes past 3 million
13:21, Fri 2 Feb
Snoop
El Mayor

I already do this but it is a bit strange to ignore that things haven't changed massively over the last 30 to 40 years in a new way, when it is so well recognised that it has.

I'm also not sure I care that much if people want to ignore the societal change we have seen :)

Of course things have changed - the point I (and others) have made is that societal change is the norm; we did stuff that annoyed our parents and older generations, they did the same and so on and so on.
13:31, Fri 2 Feb
El Mayor

Ooh, no dear.
It's run by the Chinese trying to get hold of my pension.
I'll stick to my 45s, I'll have you know
13:35, Fri 2 Feb
baldrick
El Mayor

Ooh, no dear.
It's run by the Chinese trying to get hold of my pension.
I'll stick to my 45s, I'll have you know

Spotify is Swedish.
13:36, Fri 2 Feb
I was wondering whether it had been bought when I saw that.
13:50, Fri 2 Feb
Some of the BTS fans are totally unhinged, some are now accusing the club of racism for using the logo and that it's disrespectful to Paik.

🤪
13:53, Fri 2 Feb
Charcy
You're aware kids couldn't give two shits about the charts aren't you.
Point is that the charts used to be quite a broad demographic. The singles are not any more.

Albums are, because hard-copy purchases still count for a decent chunk of sales. Hence Shed Seven had a number 1 album...
13:53, Fri 2 Feb
Now I understand the commercial aspect of it, it would be a shame if the comment section was to stay rife with replies for a good while longer...

In that case, maybe they've got a point on the racism. I hope they continue discussing the merits of this argument.
14:21, Fri 2 Feb
bluearmyfaction
Charcy
You're aware kids couldn't give two shits about the charts aren't you.
Point is that the charts used to be quite a broad demographic. The singles are not any more.

Albums are, because hard-copy purchases still count for a decent chunk of sales. Hence Shed Seven had a number 1 album...

I am sure if you asked many under 20s about what they thought about Shed Seven having a number one album recently, they'd probably say what charts and they don't give a shit.