23:01, Sat 27 Apr
If Uncle Tone doesn't return, I would go for a young coach with some experienced coaches around them and try to build something.

Someone like Carlos Cuesta, who is the assistant at Arsenal and was linked with Norwich at the start of the year. He is only 28 though.

Or Cesc Fábregas (although I am not sure if he has completed all of his badges?). Only managed 5 games, but won 3 of them.

If they are able to build a strong team, then they have a year to tweak and try to build some momentum like Ipswich have done, or to an extent Wrexham.
23:24, Sat 27 Apr
This thread is madness. Half these managers wouldn't join us if we stayed up let alone went down. Jesse March, Rob Edwards or Mark robins in league one???? Even mousinho, he's got Pompey up on his first attempt at a managers job, no way he's dropping down a league.

More like Steve Evans or someone completely untested (like McKenna was or Danny Rohl was)
23:32, Sat 27 Apr
It's a long shot I'll admit, but just maybe, they could temp Steve Cooper with the promise of our long term 'project'?

He's not worked since Forest sacked him, and a blank slate plus lots of financial support might just appeal to him over other offers he'll likely get from better placed teams

If not, maybe Lee Carsley?
23:36, Sat 27 Apr
Absolutely no chance.

As has been said in League One it will either be an unknown in the mould of McKenna or a Nathan Jones sort *shudders*
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
23:40, Sat 27 Apr
Absolutely no chance.

As has been said in League One it will either be an unknown in the mould of McKenna or a Nathan Jones sort *shudders*

I fear you're right, but money talks - although after all the managers they've had on the books this year, there's probably less appetite to spunk even more millions on another expensive manager gamble
00:10, Sun 28 Apr
Most won't, but I think you are also underestamting money and the size of our club. Players and managers have done just that for the right team.

Mousinho for example. I reckon he'd jump down a division to manage us over Portsmouth. Our infrastructure is so much better and he'd probably get paid more as well.

The likes of Cooper, Robins and Edwards could attract similar size or bigger clubs, in better positions than we currently are.
01:27, Sun 28 Apr
No manager with any brains would be sold on an owners vision of what the club COULD look like in 5/10 years time.

Why would they? If the owners vision turns out to be true they'll be sacked in 2/3 years time for a newer model so won't see the benefit anyway. If the owners are wrong they'll have been sold a pup and they've wasted 1/2 years of their career.

How anyone thinks a premier league manager (or anyone in a top flight European league) would choose to come to a League One side who have spent the majority of a decade flirting with relegation is beyond me).

If we go next week, Rowett is the most likely choice IMO and that's a step down for even him tbf.
01:38, Sun 28 Apr
Another negative post with the greatest respect.

We are in the best 25 managerial posts in England at the worst of times.

With the prospect of investment there will be no shortage of candidates. The prospect of three or four years upward trajectory should not be underestimated.
02:22, Sun 28 Apr
BeauBarry
No manager with any brains would be sold on an owners vision of what the club COULD look like in 5/10 years time.

Why would they? If the owners vision turns out to be true they'll be sacked in 2/3 years time for a newer model so won't see the benefit anyway. If the owners are wrong they'll have been sold a pup and they've wasted 1/2 years of their career.

How anyone thinks a premier league manager (or anyone in a top flight European league) would choose to come to a League One side who have spent the majority of a decade flirting with relegation is beyond me).

If we go next week, Rowett is the most likely choice IMO and that's a step down for even him tbf.

I imagine most managers decide which club to go to based on paycheck. Visions and transfer budgets probably help a little as well.

Why would a manager choose us? Because...
1) They will probably get a good salary.
2) They will probably get a big budget to invest in a decent squad. A squad that is going to lose a lot of players.
3) We will be favourites for promotion, not relegation.
4) Get us promoted, then they have more options for career progression.

I don't think for a second that we would convince a Premier League Manager or anyone managing a top flight European team to manage us.

Portsmouth's manager. I am pretty sure he would drop to manage us. Even if he is currently a division above us.
09:19, Sun 28 Apr
JourneyOn
Ian Evatt

Not a bad shout if we go down.
Plays attractive,attacking football and doing a decent job at Bolton after getting Barrow back into the league
09:20, Sun 28 Apr
Dodgy hinterland.
That's Manchester for you.
09:41, Sun 28 Apr
Rob Edwards, Mark Robins, Steve Cooper... What planet are people on? If we are in League One none of these managers will be interested in the slightest
09:43, Sun 28 Apr
Brad1875
Rob Edwards, Mark Robins, Steve Cooper... What planet are people on? If we are in League One none of these managers will be interested in the slightest
I agree, it will be Rowett, better get used to paint drying football.
10:03, Sun 28 Apr
It won't be Rowett

It better not be anyway