17:41, Sun 28 Apr
21:05, Sun 28 Apr
I think it's very unlikely TM would return if we're relegated even if he's fit medically.
21:41, Sun 28 Apr
KRO1970
I think it's very unlikely TM would return if we're relegated even if he's fit medically.

I think the opposite, if he is medically fit and we've been relegated then I think he will see it as something he has to put right. It will hurt him that we got relegated while he was out of action, having taken on the job.
10:14, Mon 29 Apr
Wow I've seen some absolutely wild shouts on this post that I hope are tongue in cheek.

Most of the managers mentioned wouldn't come even if we stayed up. Why would Robins leave Cov? Why would Edwards leave Luton when they 1) could stay up still 2) come down with Prem money? Will Still is turning Sunderland down by the looks of it, maybe if we stayed up he'd come but in League One no way would he come.

This is why I think if the worst happens (speaking football related - Tony must do the best for his health) and Mowbray retires or leaves, then I think we should appoint Rowett. He'll have a point to prove, he will want a promotion on his CV even if it is from League One. And he's not a bad manager. He effed up Rotherham simply by choosing to start Oli Burke, rest of the selection was spot on. And I think he did mostly fine against Huddersfield - the players are the ones letting us down.

Failing that? I don't know league one level managers well enough. I'd like to say I'm sure Gardner/Cook do, but I don't know about that.

Even Mousinho has just won the league and got Pompey back to the championship for the first time in donkeys, surely he'll want to stay and see what he can do with them in the 2nd division?

Anyone got any actual realistic shouts?
10:18, Mon 29 Apr
KRO1970

Mowbray is 100% returning if he's well enough, regardless of division
Happy Clapper
10:19, Mon 29 Apr
I have a Pompey supporting relative.

The key to Pompey promotion isn't the manager but the No 2 Richard Hughes i'm told.

Will Still please Tom
10:22, Mon 29 Apr
Good god no, Rowett is the total antithesis of what we want and need. There will be loads of managers no one here would think of who will want to have a crack at this club right now.
10:29, Mon 29 Apr
Rowett can eff off.
10:32, Mon 29 Apr
number8
Good god no, Rowett is the total antithesis of what we want and need. There will be loads of managers no one here would think of who will want to have a crack at this club right now.

I get it, and I would rather the club pulled a rabbit out the hat.

But Rowett isn't as bad as people are making out. ~ 40% win rate in most of his managerial jobs (barring Stoke). He really wouldn't be awful at all. As I've said before though, if it's going to divide the fanbase then I'd rather not because I think we need that unity that we had under Eustace and then Mowbray.

I just personally don't see any suggestions and I haven't seen anyone suggest anybody better that I think is actually realistic.
10:38, Mon 29 Apr
Wow I've seen some absolutely wild shouts on this post that I hope are tongue in cheek.

Most of the managers mentioned wouldn't come even if we stayed up. Why would Robins leave Cov? Why would Edwards leave Luton when they 1) could stay up still 2) come down with Prem money? Will Still is turning Sunderland down by the looks of it, maybe if we stayed up he'd come but in League One no way would he come.

This is why I think if the worst happens (speaking football related - Tony must do the best for his health) and Mowbray retires or leaves, then I think we should appoint Rowett. He'll have a point to prove, he will want a promotion on his CV even if it is from League One. And he's not a bad manager. He effed up Rotherham simply by choosing to start Oli Burke, rest of the selection was spot on. And I think he did mostly fine against Huddersfield - the players are the ones letting us down.

Failing that? I don't know league one level managers well enough. I'd like to say I'm sure Gardner/Cook do, but I don't know about that.

Even Mousinho has just won the league and got Pompey back to the championship for the first time in donkeys, surely he'll want to stay and see what he can do with them in the 2nd division?

"then I think we should appoint Rowett."

i'd rather shit in my hands and applaud for 3 hours then lick my fingers clean
10:43, Mon 29 Apr
I get it Rags I really do, but seeing the suggestions on here, out of all of them Rowett is by far the most likely.

Cook/Gardner/Wagner know they have to appoint someone who's going to get us out of league one ASAP. They can't afford to gamble on a manager I don't think. And I don't remember the last time that nobody could come up with a realistic option for manager should we go down and Mowbray not return.

Caveating this all with the sincerest hope that Tony Fantastico does return. The only suggestion I can add is *if we stay up* I'd go back in for Steve Cooper. He's lost out on the palace job, and the stumbling blocks of no money to spend in Jan that reportedly stopped him from coming before will be removed.
10:44, Mon 29 Apr
Rags

"then I think we should appoint Rowett."

i'd rather shit in my hands and applaud for 3 hours then lick my fingers clean

I'd guess Cook and Wagner feel the same way. Rowett was a short term emergency appointment, not an indicator of long term plans.

I'm going to be incredibly shocked if we make any long term managerial appointment and it isn't someone who sets up his sides to play attack possession based football. We're going to have a big stadium to fill and they want a side that puts bums on seats.
10:46, Mon 29 Apr
Cook/Gardner/Wagner know they have to appoint someone who's going to get us out of league one ASAP. They can't afford to gamble on a manager I don't think.

Then why gamble on Rowett a man with not a promotion on his CV?
10:47, Mon 29 Apr
But Rowett isn't as bad as people are making out. ~ 40% win rate in most of his managerial jobs (barring Stoke).

So he’s got a 40% win rate… except when he doesn’t.
10:47, Mon 29 Apr
I get it Rags I really do, but seeing the suggestions on here, out of all of them Rowett is by far the most likely.

Cook/Gardner/Wagner know they have to appoint someone who's going to get us out of league one ASAP. They can't afford to gamble on a manager I don't think. And I don't remember the last time that nobody could come up with a realistic option for manager should we go down and Mowbray not return.

Caveating this all with the sincerest hope that Tony Fantastico does return. The only suggestion I can add is *if we stay up* I'd go back in for Steve Cooper. He's lost out on the palace job, and the stumbling blocks of no money to spend in Jan that reportedly stopped him from coming before will be removed.

There are not many managers who spring to mind who could have done a WORSE job in their approach to 3 out of our last 4 games.... Cardiff, Rotherham, Huddersfield.

Make no mistake .. if we go down it is Rowett's fault.
Yes, it wasn't his fault that we were in the position we were in, but we should have easily got 9 points from those 3 games and instead we aimed for 3 points and achieved 2 points.
Not Rowett's fault we were in the position - but definitely Rowett's fault we didn't get out of it.

.... and make no mistake, Rowett thought it would be piss easy - that's why he took the job. He's failed us and failed himself.

(and don't anyone quote anything that ROwett's ever said at me .... what Rowett says and what his real motivations are, and what he really means are completely different things)