20:21, Mon 6 May
Rasputin
David Xavis
I wanna see us make a statement signing, Langstaff straight away, there’s your 25 goal man.

A mostly non league clogger who's had one season in league football at the age of 27 who we'd have to pay a significant fee for with absolutely no guarantee he could step up one league, let alone be any use in the championship the season after.

Some 'statement'...

Your takes stink to high heaven lately
20:23, Mon 6 May
Rasputin
David Xavis
I wanna see us make a statement signing, Langstaff straight away, there’s your 25 goal man.

A mostly non league clogger who's had one season in league football at the age of 27 who we'd have to pay a significant fee for with absolutely no guarantee he could step up one league, let alone be any use in the championship the season after.

Some 'statement'...

Loads of clubs will want him. Champ included. Statement being, we’re bigger than all of you.
20:24, Mon 6 May
You can never know for sure how good someone will be though until they sign. That ugbo that Wednesday bought was dismissed as useless and a donkey on here, yet played a starring role in keeping them up. I’d say langstaff is worth the risk, and it’s not like we’d be just buying him, should be getting 2 other strikers at least as well.
20:25, Mon 6 May
mjd2505
We've got basically a full squad rebuild on. Let's not try make more work for us than is necessary. We currently have NO strikers and NO keepers on the books.

I wouldn't say a full squad rebuild.

But if we let all the OOC players go, then our money will need to be concentrated on certain positions.

Unless some players kick up a fuss (Bielik, Pritchard, Buchanen for example), we'll be starting with most of the players that we currently have.

They are mostly good enough for the championship, they'll be good enough in L1 with a decent manager.
The cold never bothered me anyway
20:27, Mon 6 May
Maybe.

I watched a fair bit of NL so think he's a bit of a flat track bully tap in merchant at that level. No idea what he's been like for County this season tbf.
20:28, Mon 6 May
Rasputin
David Xavis

Some 'statement'...

You seen his league record the last 3 seasons?

National League North 21/22: 39 appearances, 28 goals
National League 22/23: 45 appearances, 41 goals
League Two 23/24: 46 appearances, 28 goals

We pay £3m-£4m and he scores 15-20 goals for us, that's good business. 41 goals despite the level is a superb return. He's also got 28 goals in a mid table league two side this year. We're only one step up, don't forget.

Vardy only had one good season at national league level before going to the championship.
20:34, Mon 6 May
Rasputin
mjd2505
We've got basically a full squad rebuild on. Let's not try make more work for us than is necessary. We currently have NO strikers and NO keepers on the books.

I wouldn't say a full squad rebuild.

But if we let all the OOC players go, then our money will need to be concentrated on certain positions.

Unless some players kick up a fuss (Bielik, Pritchard, Buchanen for example), we'll be starting with most of the players that we currently have.

They are mostly good enough for the championship, they'll be good enough in L1 with a decent manager.

I don't think it's far off. Here's what we should be looking at really assuming no Juke or Ruddy:

2 GKs

1 RB
2/3 CBs (assuming Roberts, Bielik and Aiwu leave)
0 LB - Happy with Buchanan and Longelo at LB

1 or 2 central midfielders. Depends again on Bielik, but losing Gardner, Sunjic, James, Dozzell and probably Paik means we'll have to sign some there. We are just overstocked at the moment though.

Potentially a left winger - depends on Anderson and Dembele.
No number 10s - unless we lose all of James, Pritchard, T Roberts, Bacuna. Maybe 1 if we really need to but low priority.
Probably 1/2 right wingers with Miyoshi going.

2-4 strikers.

That's 10-15 players. Assuming most if not all under contract stay. You don't get much more of a rebuild than that realistically.
20:35, Mon 6 May
mjd2505
Rasputin
David Xavis

Some 'statement'...

You seen his league record the last 3 seasons?

National League North 21/22: 39 appearances, 28 goals
National League 22/23: 45 appearances, 41 goals
League Two 23/24: 46 appearances, 28 goals

We pay £3m-£4m and he scores 15-20 goals for us, that's good business. 41 goals despite the level is a superb return. He's also got 28 goals in a mid table league two side this year. We're only one step up, don't forget.

Vardy only had one good season at national league level before going to the championship.

Genuine question - how do those leagues (National League North, National League & League 2) compare to the leagues that Junior Dixon and Frank Tattum have been scoring goals in?
Obviously we need to sign 2 strikers, but could those two be considered for 3rd choice?
20:39, Mon 6 May
Felix1875
Cameron Brannagan, at Oxford, 27 years old, got the highest average rating for any player in League 1 last year. Experienced, works hard, can pass and tackle. 11 man of match awards last year, 12 goals, 9 assists, be a good addition to central midfield.

hes a player who has good quality at that level but he the wrong side of 24 for me.

i never understood why he hasnt moved to a championship at least by now, he has been one of the best players in league one almost every season for quite a while now
20:41, Mon 6 May
WreckTangle
Keen to not dwell on the fact we'll be playing Burton Albion next season, I've started looking at players we could be trying to get in for the new season.

I've generally had a look at the young blood around who we might be able to entice. Will definitely need some experienced heads in there too. So far I've got:

Players Out of Contract:
Karl Hein (GK) 22
Harrison Burrows (LB) 22
Dan Kemp (AM) 25
Antony Evans (AM) 25
Ruel Sotiriou (F) 23

Players in Contract:
Lukas Jensen (GK) 25 (1 year)
Bosun Lawal (CB) 20 (2 years - sell the project)
Jesurun Rak-Sakyi (RW) 21 (3 years - loan option)
Macauley Langstaff (F) 27 (3 years - no harm trying!)

ive only heard of hein and burrows.

is lawal and langstaff good players then i take it?
20:42, Mon 6 May
Vardy is a freak occurrence.

The wife is a Leicester fan, and they seemed to view him as a £1m gamble that didn't pay off to begin with, hell he wasn't even bought in as a centre forward. for him to have done what he has in the last 10 years is unlikely to be repeated soon.

It's all about formations and tactics - spending £3/4m on a L2 striker is one thing, but do we have the players and tactics to give him 15/20 tap ins or close headers a season?
20:46, Mon 6 May
Let’s be honest, if we offer players 5/6k more a week, we will beat some lower mid table champ teams to some players.

We are still enormous
20:46, Mon 6 May
Felix1875
Genuine question - how do those leagues (National League North, National League & League 2) compare to the leagues that Junior Dixon and Frank Tattum have been scoring goals in?
Obviously we need to sign 2 strikers, but could those two be considered for 3rd choice?

Honestly don't watch enough of either - but from an uninformed opinion, there's a big step up from youth football to mens football, physically. And strikers in particular will have to adapt to that to have any effectiveness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the young lads who've done so well at their level used as backups next season at all. I'd quite like it actually. But Langstaff would (for me) be a more reliable first choice striker.
20:48, Mon 6 May

Just to confirm; you’re asking how a fully professional countrywide league of men’s football, littered with ex league teams and is of a higher standard than most of League 2 compares to a regionalised kid’s league?
20:49, Mon 6 May
Rasputin
Vardy is a freak occurrence.

The wife is a Leicester fan, and they seemed to view him as a £1m gamble that didn't pay off to begin with, hell he wasn't even bought in as a centre forward. for him to have done what he has in the last 10 years is unlikely to be repeated soon.

It's all about formations and tactics - spending £3/4m on a L2 striker is one thing, but do we have the players and tactics to give him 15/20 tap ins or close headers a season?

Agree Vardy is a freak - but we don't need another Jamie Vardy, he doesn't need to be top scorer in the prem. And Langstaff has had more strong seasons than Vardy had before the move. That national league season was absolutely ridiculous - he got 6 assists in there too. No penalties either, all goals from open play.

Course it's all about formations and tactics - but we can build a side this summer that's designed to feed a striker like him. Half the battle is getting in the right positions - strikers who do that consistently are the best ones.