22:09, Mon 6 May
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
The suggestions so far on this thread are very unambitious so far.

FWIW I would've wanted us at least looking at Langstaff even if we had stayed up.
Yeah the reason I have no idea who to suggest signing is because I have no idea on what pool we’ll be shopping in/who are realistic targets - but I imagine we’ll be aiming for a lot better than some of the names mentioned.

Alfie May is one Id like in. He’s 31 this summer but with only 12 months left on his current contract we can probably pick him up for next to nothing. He scores goals for fun at this level so offers very little risk.

Offer him a 2 year contract and he’d be decent as a 3rd option next year in the Championship too.
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
My Blue Heaven
Let’s be honest, if we offer players 5/6k more a week, we will beat some lower mid table champ teams to some players.

We are still enormous

Yeah exactly. The suggestions so far on this thread are very unambitious so far. I suspect we’re aiming quite a lot higher. We’ll attack it like Leicester did with the Championship last season.

I just don't really know who anyone is any more. I've barely looked outside the bottom 6 of the second division for a decade.

Give us some names then.
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
22:38, Mon 6 May
Miles Leaburn Charlton

6 foot 5 striker , 20 years of age.

20 goals in 58 games .

No idea whether he’s any good or whether he’s way out our target range .

But the profile of player we should be in for nonetheless
22:59, Mon 6 May
La Fine Della Strada
Yeah the reason I have no idea who to suggest signing is because I have no idea on what pool we’ll be shopping in/who are realistic targets - but I imagine we’ll be aiming for a lot better than some of the names mentioned.

Alfie May is one Id like in. He’s 31 this summer but with only 12 months left on his current contract we can probably pick him up for next to nothing. He scores goals for fun at this level so offers very little risk.

Offer him a 2 year contract and he’d be decent as a 3rd option next year in the Championship too.

Alfie May would've been decent 4/5 years ago. To sign him now would feel like a very 'TTA era' signing.
23:05, Mon 6 May
He finished as the leagues top goal scorer for a team that finished 16th - and we are a club that currently has zero strikers.

Not every signing we make is going to be glamorous, we will need to do some clever deals too for depth and I think this would be exactly that.
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
My Blue Heaven
Let’s be honest, if we offer players 5/6k more a week, we will beat some lower mid table champ teams to some players.

We are still enormous

Yeah exactly. The suggestions so far on this thread are very unambitious so far. I suspect we’re aiming quite a lot higher. We’ll attack it like Leicester did with the Championship last season.

This, they'll be looking past League One for players who can immediately perform in the Championship.

We won't be going down the Barry Fry route this time.
06:58, Tue 7 May
I think our biggest problem is going to be that we were looking at higher level players to be signed this summer and now that has gone right out of the window.
Usually by now teams will have tapped up certain players and they’d be 70/80% on their way. I would think that the majority of our targets will now say forget it.
It’s definitely going to be a difficult window to sign higher level players than we already have. Next season is going to be far from a cakewalk
07:02, Tue 7 May
We will still be able to secure players that we would of gone for in the Champ, we are a massive club with huge ambition. Look at the players Wrexham attracted in League Two.
07:16, Tue 7 May
David Xavis
We will still be able to secure players that we would of gone for in the Champ, we are a massive club with huge ambition. Look at the players Wrexham attracted in League Two.

I was going to make this point. We will still be able to offer championship wages. I don't think relegation changes too much in our signings at all.
07:52, Tue 7 May
I must admit, I like these threads - takes me back to my Champ Man days!
It has to be a mix of talented young players on 4 year deals and more experienced solid players on 2 year deals. Clarke-Harris is on a free and offers goals at this level. There are decent keepers like Rodak, Walton and Ward on frees too. I think we should be able to assemble the best squad in League One fairly easily. There’s a plan in place for the future and the possibility of playing in front of 25k+ crowds. We’re still attractive. It won’t be easy to storm the league, but that should be the aim. Key will be sorting the existing squad - who stays, who leaves- and then getting prepped as soon as possible.
I don’t really buy the argument that the players have much leverage. It’s not like the levels above where players can kick off in the media and cause a storm. Nobody cares. Id sell JJ and Bacuna and I’d tell Laird, Buchanan, Bielik, Paik, Myoshi that they need to stay. We already need 12-13 players. We can’t really be bringing in 20 if they all jump ship.
This
Tony Fantastico
08:44, Tue 7 May
Yup. Convo should go something like:

“Mr Cook I don’t wanna play in league one”

“Should of stepped up more regularly then shouldn’t you Krystian/Lee/whoever - if you get your head down you won’t be in this league for very long.”
Nikola Zigic- FEA
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
My Blue Heaven

We are still enormous

I just don't really know who anyone is any more. I've barely looked outside the bottom 6 of the second division for a decade.

Give us some names then.

I’d offer Jake Cooper a 3 year deal. He’s massive and nasty and will want a payday.

I’d offer Palace a load of money for Rak-Sakyi. I believe they’d take it or at least a loan with a view. He was outstanding at league 1 level 2 years ago.

I’d offer Barry Fry a deal for Kwame Poku that he can’t refuse.

I’d use our contacts in South Korea to bring in another 2-3 players from there on cheap contracts.

And I’d give Troy Parrott a chance to rebuild in England. He’s found confidence again on loan this year.

But there are a million ways we could go. Just need to think big in the context of the division.