I worked at Hinckley Point for two and a half years and the idea that construction workers do not go out and mix with the local community is just not true. The Local Towns get a massive boost from Hinckley Point. I would add that unskilled operatives were earning £1,000 a week and people earning £2,000 a week was not uncommon.
20:44, Thu 9 May
I worked at Hinckley Point for two and a half years and the idea that construction workers do not go out and mix with the local community is just not true. The Local Towns get a massive boost from Hinckley Point. I would add that unskilled operatives were earning £1,000 a week and people earning £2,000 a week was not uncommon.

.. and more once you get to Commercial staff, engineers and Senior Project Managers.

When I was away and staying in hotels in towns or cities then yes, lots of going into town, meeting up etc.

But when that hotel becomes a holiday camp with all the different bars on site where your workmates are also staying, and the beer is decent and cheap then they tend not to venture so far .... and when that "town" is actually a seaside tourist town with most of the businesses built around families and day time trade .. the resulting effect is inevitable.

[www.thesun.co.uk]
21:11, Thu 9 May
the beer is decent and cheap

The beer on NNB (The Principle Contractor) Campuses is not cheap. They do not want to promote a drinking culture. Beer is cheaper in pubs in nearby Towns.
The Campuses were almost exclusively Male
Nearly every Contractor had a 11 days on 3 days of shift rotation so there were still plenty of Contractors around at the weekend.

empty bars and derelict shops give the impression of a resort that has seen better days - it certainly has but that is not because of Hinckley Point, and did not just come about when Pontins closed. Most seaside resorts have seen better days. You can believe what you read in the Sun if you want but I do not.