06:29, Wed 11 Sep
Looks like we are going after all and in February, she reckons she'll just wear thicker socks and be fine 🙄
Found a hotel with good reviews (very good actually), upper west side with the Hudson River on one side and Central Park on the other, next to the Beacon theatre and the 72nd Street station (Broadway), so can get around pretty well from there.
£605 each with hotel and flights for 5 nights direct from Manchester, pretty good that is.
Thanks all, been dead helpful, looking forward to it now.

[www.beaconhotel.com]
19:14, Wed 11 Sep
I’ve been twice in Feb in 2004 it was -14 it was an amazing experience. I’m going end of November for thanksgiving can’t wait.
21:01, Wed 11 Sep
I stayed there for the Thanksgiving parade. It's nice.
DES
23:56, Wed 11 Sep
Anyone who tells you any of the great cities in the world London Paris Dublin Rome New York L.A. Is Shit!
Just Ignore!
Heavens where you find it
Kro
02:19, Thu 12 Sep
DES
Dublin is about 39th.
Revere me.
07:01, Thu 12 Sep
DES
L.A is a shithole unless you have a huge pot of cash so let’s get that right.
07:22, Thu 12 Sep
Well we're going now anyway so find out for ourselves, found out that by going a week later in first week of March it's even cheaper (£589 each, same hotel the Beacon, 5 nights) so we finally booked that last night.
Excited about it now, can start sorting visas and do some actual planning of what to do there.

Been some invaluable experience shared on here and thank you all for that, land at JFK and will train it to the city from there, anyone tell me if I'm better prebooking trips/tours/shows or better to do it once there?
07:45, Thu 12 Sep
We went in March (2016) and it was t-shirt weather most of the time, with one day of snow. We made an itinerary and pre-booked a load of things, including a show on Broadway and the 9/11 museum, I agree with Tall re China Town - really not worth visiting.

You'll have a great time. 👍
07:50, Thu 12 Sep
I was on about Los Angeles 62 as someone mentioned it being a great city.

Tip for NYC booking in advance if you plan to visit Liberty island 🗽 they do a small amount of tickets per day to walk up to the crown of lady liberty and take in the view from the windows in the crown. Great experience but you have to get in months in advance as they go pretty quick.
mad
08:12, Thu 12 Sep
Bluesince62
Looks like we are going after all and in February, she reckons she'll just wear thicker socks and be fine 🙄
Found a hotel with good reviews (very good actually), upper west side with the Hudson River on one side and Central Park on the other, next to the Beacon theatre and the 72nd Street station (Broadway), so can get around pretty well from there.
£605 each with hotel and flights for 5 nights direct from Manchester, pretty good that is.
Thanks all, been dead helpful, looking forward to it now.

[www.beaconhotel.com]

Beacon Theatre is lovely if you get chance go to a show. Saw Tom Waits there in 1999 and Govt Mule there a couple of NYE's ago.
The Natural History Museum is just around the corner too. Should be quiet save for a few school trips in Feb
Not many decent bars around there though - get into the village and around empire state
Wrap up
Go up the Empire State at night time breathtaking
Visit the WTC memorial site
Have lunch at Katz Deli best pastrami sandwiches ever cash only
Down that way (Lower East Side) there's an interesting Migration Museum which is often overlooked but fascinating
If you get the ferry to Staten Island don't bother going any further just get back on the ferry and come back - nothing interesting in Staten Island
Brooklyn/Williamsburg is very good though for a day and a bit of a schlep but Asbury Park is not like Beirut anymore but is better to visit in the summer months as is Coney Island
08:41, Thu 12 Sep
mad
If you want to take on a show. Rather than queue at the half price ticket booths in Times Square, take a stroll across Brooklyn Bridge and there's one at the other end, no queues
What did the Knights in White satin?
09:36, Thu 12 Sep
•The High Line Boardwalk is a must.
•Cheapest Breakfast in a traditional workers diner in the Meatpacking District- Hectors. Loved this place. Used in all diner scenes of the film Taxi Driver and Law & Order. At the end of the High Line Boardwalk.
A little piece of old style NYC.
[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

•Then a real fancy amazing French breakfast/brunch in Balthazar on Spring Street.
[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

•Grand Central Station, it's whispering arch and its Oyster Bar/Restaurant=Class.

•Fuerzabruta Show with a difference. You may love this. 30 Rush (cheap $20) tickets are available at theatre, 2hrs prior to start.
[youtu.be]

Enjoy NY so good they named it...

Oh and another tip, try to get a room high up away from street level as it’s called the city that never sleeps for a reason :-).
09:47, Thu 12 Sep
To all 👍💙