Mr Driscoll
of course, being a woman, possesses far more intelligence and ‘common sense’ than myself.

Just so I understand how this thing works, is it acceptable to make prejudical statements about a gender group as long as you are part of that group? What's the logic behind that?
08:40, Mon 27 Nov
Mr Driscoll
Kop Corner
I think the real story here is the context in which the arrests took place. That is, the club does not want the kind of supporter that shouts misogynistic abuse anymore. Or indeed abuse that makes any other minority within the ground feel uncomfortable. I applaud the stand the club is making. It takes courage to stand up to bullies who wear their prejudices as some kind of pathetic badge of honour. Clearly they are no longer welcome. And good riddance to bad rubbish. We are better than that as a club and to grow attendances we need to become a club that has a reputation for being welcoming to everyone. We are changing for the better I think and hope.

If you’re talking generically about this type of behaviour, I’m with you. It needs to be eradicated. If you’re talking specifically about these two lads, who I don’t know and have never met, I’d disagree, assuming it’s their first offence.

The club restated their policy in advance with the pre-match statement:

“This will not be tolerated and any individual reported for such behaviour will be asked to leave their seat by stewards. Furthermore, in accordance with the club’s behaviour matrix, foul and abusive language carries a potential ban of up to four matches, with discriminatory and hate speech being punishable with a maximum ban of five years.”

Personally, I’d hope the punishment handed out is that of a short ban, and, next time she’s reffing at St Andrews, that the lads either write letters of apology or meet with her before the game to apologise in person. In my experience, 30 years working in sixth form education (and, incidentally, there’s every chance these kids are students studying for upcoming important qualifications which will affect their life chances), a proportionate punishment and a period of self reflection, will do the job. Im not at all convinced that society, BCFC, or the kids in question - and they are kids- will benefit from this going to court.

Incidentally, before I posted. I quickly mentioned the alleged details of the offence to my wife, who also worked in sixth form education for many years, is preparing to be a magistrate, and, of course, being a woman, possesses far more intelligence and ‘common sense’ than myself. Just to make sure, like, that I hadn’t woken up overly liberal and forgiving in my thinking. Her response? ‘Tell ‘em off”.

Agree 100%.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
08:46, Mon 27 Nov
With you all the way on that, sir and wasn’t making any assumptions that you were commenting on how these two, in particular, should be dealt with.

Just wanted to make the point that an over-reaction won’t help any party concerned in this case. Do we change this kind of behaviour by throwing them to the lions? Nah, I don’t think so. Let them have a suitable punishment- eg; a short ban, at tge very most a caution, give them a chance to think about what they’ve done and if they do it again, come down a little harder.
10:27, Mon 27 Nov
lads have done us proud, we were slipping down the arrests table, every little helps
Agree about the most appropriate punishment is they have to go say sorry and explain why the said what they said to her face. Maybe with their parents with them.

Pretty sure the embarrassment and actually having an actual human face to put against their chants would stop them doing it again.
Everything in moderation, even moderation.
10:49, Mon 27 Nov
JCL
Dya reckon she heard it?
10:58, Mon 27 Nov
The linesman on the old stand side, second half, had a shocker, missed so many fouls, gave no help to the ref whatsoever. The ref was no worse than any refs we've had this season.
Kop Corner
I think the real story here is the context in which the arrests took place. That is, the club does not want the kind of supporter that shouts misogynistic abuse anymore. Or indeed abuse that makes any other minority within the ground feel uncomfortable. I applaud the stand the club is making. It takes courage to stand up to bullies who wear their prejudices as some kind of pathetic badge of honour. Clearly they are no longer welcome. And good riddance to bad rubbish. We are better than that as a club and to grow attendances we need to become a club that has a reputation for being welcoming to everyone. We are changing for the better I think and hope.

If you’re talking generically about this type of behaviour, I’m with you. It needs to be eradicated. If you’re talking specifically about these two lads, who I don’t know and have never met, I’d disagree, assuming it’s their first offence.

The club restated their policy in advance with the pre-match statement:

“This will not be tolerated and any individual reported for such behaviour will be asked to leave their seat by stewards. Furthermore, in accordance with the club’s behaviour matrix, foul and abusive language carries a potential ban of up to four matches, with discriminatory and hate speech being punishable with a maximum ban of five years.”

Personally, I’d hope the punishment handed out is that of a short ban, and, next time she’s reffing at St Andrews, that the lads either write letters of apology or meet with her before the game to apologise in person. In my experience, 30 years working in sixth form education (and, incidentally, there’s every chance these kids are students studying for upcoming important qualifications which will affect their life chances), a proportionate punishment and a period of self reflection, will do the job. Im not at all convinced that society, BCFC, or the kids in question - and they are kids- will benefit from this going to court.

Incidentally, before I posted. I quickly mentioned the alleged details of the offence to my wife, who also worked in sixth form education for many years, is preparing to be a magistrate, and, of course, being a woman, possesses far more intelligence and ‘common sense’ than myself. Just to make sure, like, that I hadn’t woken up overly liberal and forgiving in my thinking. Her response? ‘Tell ‘em off”.

I'd agree ... a 4 home match club ban (and prevention from going to away games in that period) and a caution is probably going to deter them from doing it again
17:48, Mon 27 Nov
The linesman on the old stand side, second half, had a shocker, missed so many fouls, gave no help to the ref whatsoever. The ref was no worse than any refs we've had this season.

I don't think she was that bad really .... but agree about the linesman who she would have relied on for the holding fouls near the touchline - shocking !